What's new

The Str8 outshines the DE again

Since I have started using Str8 razors all my DE have been collecting dust. I can count on one hand how many times I have shaved with a DE since moving to str8 razors (3 times).

All 3 times my DE (Fatboy + Feather/Swedish Gillette) gave me a decent shave but by the end of the day ...stubble would appear. When I shave with my str8 the next day I noticed a BIG difference

1. str8 give you a MUCH closer shave. No stubble until next morning
2. DEs would give my minor razor bumps in sensitive areas
3. DEs caused irritation vs str8 cause no irritation
4. str8s would shave my hair like a hot knife going thru butter.
5. 2 passes on Str8 vs 3 passes on DE.

It seems my DEs are only good for when I travel (maybe?)....

Has anyone else experienced the same thing I have?

Not yet brave enough to take the straight challenge- but this is making me rethink- I do have stubble with my Slant & Vision by the end of the day- but right now I HAVE ONLY USED Merkur, Derbys, and the Israelis... still have Gillette and feathers to see if I will take the next step.....

A no brainer eh? A straight will always give you the best possible shave. Mr Gillette's creation was not about a closer shave it was about convenience, safety and making his wallet fatter.

A no brainer eh? A straight will always give you the best possible shave. Mr Gillette's creation was not about a closer shave it was about convenience, safety and making his wallet fatter.

+ 1
I am beginning to think the same thing after my experience. It was all about convenience be it a DE or and Mach 3 cartridge...

Since I have started using Str8 razors all my DE have been collecting dust. I can count on one hand how many times I have shaved with a DE since moving to str8 razors (3 times).

All 3 times my DE (Fatboy + Feather/Swedish Gillette) gave me a decent shave but by the end of the day ...stubble would appear. When I shave with my str8 the next day I noticed a BIG difference

1. str8 give you a MUCH closer shave. No stubble until next morning
2. DEs would give my minor razor bumps in sensitive areas
3. DEs caused irritation vs str8 cause no irritation
4. str8s would shave my hair like a hot knife going thru butter.
5. 2 passes on Str8 vs 3 passes on DE.

It seems my DEs are only good for when I travel (maybe?)....

Has anyone else experienced the same thing I have?

I'm not, but I'm hoping to get there. I'm still climbing the straight learning curve. I'm up to about two passes, but my technique needs work. I've only had about 3 or 4 attempts so far.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I used straights before I tried a DE. I own a lot of them, and really enjoy the entire process. I have a ton of water stones, and have received razors sharpened by the best.

Having said that, I get closer and more comfortable shaves with a DE.

I used straights before I tried a DE. I own a lot of them, and really enjoy the entire process. I have a ton of water stones, and have received razors sharpened by the best.

What is the combo you use now?

(knowing full well that everyone is different:detective: )

F

firebox

A Merkur slant gives a competitive shave to a str8. I enjoy both. But the DE is the 'go to' if I don't have time for the str8. Wife says the str8 gives a closer 'no 5 o'clock shadow' shave.

ouch

What is the combo you use now?

(knowing full well that everyone is different:detective: )

One combo? Surely you jest. :lol:

I believe the proper queston should be "what's in heavy rotation?"

I've been turning to my red tip Gillette and slant bar fairly often as of late, but my superspeeds, fat boy, Aristocrat, HD and long handle aren't getting jealous. They know their turn will come, and they can probably use a break.

As for blades, my top two are currently Swedes and IP's.

Different strokes for different folks... It is interesting that you tried str8s before the DE. Do you still use the str8s? if yes then How often?

ouch

I treat myself to a straight shave at least once a week, and sometimes I'll get into a straight kick that lasts for weeks at a clip. They provide me with the most enjoyable shaves, if not the closest.

I can't tell you how many people have told me, "Well, that's because you don't have a really sharp straight. If you knew what a really sharp straight was, you wouldn't say that, boyyyyeez!"

Well, I've been using a straight for several years now. Before that I used a DE SS Gillette for almost thirty years. I know how to use both very well, IMHO. I have a thick coarse beard, and in my experience as both a DE and straight razor shaver, in terms of shave quality, both ypes of razors can provide about the same degree of closeness. It may be the case, that with a straight, you tend to take your time, and pay more attention to detail (which is a necessity if you don't want to mess up your face) when using a straight than when using a DE. As a consequence, you may find yourself getting a closer shave. I do not think, however, that if both are used with the same amount of care and attention, as is the case with other DE shavers on this forum, that a straight razor will not afford a closer shave than a DE. That being said, I do find using a straight far more enjoyable. :wink:

Hal

While I began my personal journey into DE and str8 shaving, I had been using some combination of electric and Mach3 with goop for some time. I looked in a drawer one day and saw my grandfather's straight and decided at that moment that I was going to learn to use it NO MATTER WHAT.

So, like another member, I started using a str8 first before using a DE. I have since become reasonably proficient with both types of shaving impliments but the learning curve on the str8 was somewhat steep. Thanks to the help of lots of folks in the SRP forum and here, I made the transition to str8's over a matter of months.

I then picked up a Vision and tried my hand with it. Not too bad, not much learning curve, but it does not really get under the nose very well. I have since tried the slant and like it as a nice alternative in DE shaving.

Well, you are wondering: is there a point to this rambling. This is probably obvious to all but in retrospect, I probably should have started with a DE. I say this because there were a lot of lessons that were probably easier to learn on a DE. For example, angle of blade is perhaps easier to control; smaller blade makes for a more maneuverable platform to learn on; pressure is perhaps more easily regulated with a DE.

OK, OK, OK, the lessons and ease of learning them on str8's vice DE may not be the same for everyone... But, the bottom line is that I think that there is merit to starting on a DE vice str8.

Just my 3 cents...

It may be the case, that with a straight, you tend to take your time, and pay more attention to detail (which is a necessity if you don't want to mess up your face) when using a straight than when using a DE. As a consequence, you may find yourself getting a closer shave.
Hal

The str8 shave is certainly more satisfying than the DE shave.

From the time I started using a str8 I did develop some good habits, and the times I did go back to the DE those habits were so ingrained that I used the same care and attention as I would with straights.

I wanted to reserve my judgment until I was convinced and for me I know now that str8s are the best option. I have a thick beard myself. I do not claim to know all the factors that make the str8 better for me, IMO
they are
1. Much better control of the shave angle.
2. Momentum created by a heavier blade shaves thicker hair much more easily vs paper thin blade of DE.

I am awaiting my first 2 straights that I purchased from SRP members (and probably members here as well). So, can't wait to test everyone's theories on which is closer.

:thumbup1:

I am awaiting my first 2 straights that I purchased from SRP members (and probably members here as well). So, can't wait to test everyone's theories on which is closer.

:thumbup1:

You'll be lucky to get instant results better than DE, it does take a little while to perfect your technique. Though, once you've mastered the chin and upper lip you'll find it gives a superior shave.

Cynicism aside, I feel that straights give closer and more comfortable shaves. They allow for a sharper and more rigid blade, as well as complete control over it. This control, sadly, takes more time and focus, two resources that are often in short supply early in the morning when I normally shave. I am by no means a master with a Str8, but when I have the time and mental capacity I usually reach for one in lieu of a DE.

The str8 shave is certainly more satisfying than the DE shave. ...<clip>....

I think it is safe to say that one tends to do a better job at something one enjoys more. So although I don't doubt that you and others new to straight razor shaving may be enjoying closer shaves, IMHO, the reason for your new found success, is found in the user, not the straight razor. :smile:

Hal

Where a straight wins hands down, in terms of shaving quality, is when you try to shave after several days of beard growth. Not only will a straight shave considerably more easily, unlike a DE that will constantly be clogging up with whiskers, it will also afford an exceptionally close shave on the first pass. I'm not sure why, but with my own type of beard, I find that whiskers a few days old take to the blade better than the somewhat softer whiskers that arise after a single days growth.

Hal

Top Bottom