What's new

The MMA Thread

Not sure what you mean by that. At least you can get some laughs.

I meant I read that article and it made me laugh. He's quick to complain after the fact, and it typically has nothing to do with himself. He never forgets to mention his virtuous qualities however.

I meant I read that article and it made me laugh. He's quick to complain after the fact, and it typically has nothing to do with himself. He never forgets to mention his virtuous qualities however.

Thought you were talking to me, since you didn't say GSP, or Georges. That's why i asked. Confused is all.

I don't think it would have been wise for GSP to strongly voice his opinions of this during his reign as champ. Which makes me think he might not come back, since his relationship with white and the fertittas is obviously on thin ice with all this.

Thought you were talking to me, since you didn't say GSP, or Georges. That's why i asked. Confused is all.

I don't think it would have been wise for GSP to strongly voice his opinions of this during his reign as champ. Which makes me think he might not come back, since his relationship with white and the fertittas is obviously on thin ice with all this.

After the things Dana said about him after his last fight I don't see why he would want to come back.

My bad, sorry George L. :001_smile

I DVR'ed the fight last night, but haven't had a chance to watch it. I'm glad Rockhold looked good. I'd very curious how he'd fair against Vitor sans steroids.

I didn't get to watch the fights last night. I have only watched the highlights and gifs of the finishes.

WTH was up with Yoel Romero...

last warning
did he crap himself during the fight?

Chris Leben retires from MMA:

After 12 years and a UFC record 22 middleweight fights inside the Octagon, Chris Leben is calling it quits. "The Crippler" appeared on Monday's episode of The MMA Hour to make his announcement official.

"It's been a fantastic, wonderful ride," Leben said. "I've landed more strikes than anybody out there. Definitely highs and lows, ups and downs, but I think I'm starting to realize that, for me, it might be time to make that transition away from competing and get more on the coaching side of things.

"After [UFC 168], I wanted to go back and reevaluate things, make sure that the decision wasn't based purely on emotion. That it was really what I wanted to do. And now, yes, I can say, I've really retired from competing in MMA."

A perennial fan favorite and one of the founding cast members of The Ultimate Fighter, Leben retires with a 22-11 career MMA record, as well as a 12-10 UFC record, although five of those 10 losses came over the course of his final six bouts.

"The bottom line, I've been with the actual UFC now for almost 10 years and I really feel like I've kind of grown with them, parallel with them," Leben said. "In this sport, you're either moving forward or you're moving backward.
"I really can't be upset. I've had a wonderful career. And again, I didn't start fighting until I was 21 years old. Back then you could actually get in the UFC, win and do well, just on being a tough guy. I was a tough guy, I had some techniques, and that always worked for me. But when you look at these guys now, like Uriah Hall, they're just a different breed of athlete than I am. The game has been evolving and changing so much, so rapidly, that I'm actually pretty happy that I can say I was in it for as long as I was in it."

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/1/20/5327990/chris-leben-announces-retirement-from-mma

Good for him, He sure gave us fans plenty of great fights.

Impressive in the octagon and really a good retirement speech. It seems like he is a very different guy today, with a lot more assets on his side, than compared to 10 years ago.

This Saturday we have a have another card on Fox.

Bendo vs Josh Thomson
Gonzaga vs Miocic
Darren Elkins vs Jeremy Stephens
Cerrone vs Adriano Martins

I'm really looking forward to Bendo vs Thomson. Thomson has been a tear lately, I'd like to see him get another win. If he looks as good as he did against Diaz, I think he can win. A lot of people may not want to see another fight, but I'd like to see him against Melendez again, I scored their third fight in his favor (the last one in StrikeForce).

Any predictions?

Can't choose between Miocic and Gonzaga, i like both fighters.

"Broke" Cerrone and Stephens should get wins.

I'm with you on "the punk" i want to see him fight Melendez one more time. But i am rooting for Bendo this saturday.

I'm glad that Chris decided to retire, and I'll miss his slug fest style. I hope that he has a long successful career as a coach.

I want Bendo to win but it will be a tough fight for him.
I like Gonzaga and hope he can string together a bunch of wins. I don't think he will fight for the title again but I do think he can be a top 5 fighter.
Stephens and Cerrone all the way.

I'm also glad Leben retired, I don't think he could take any more punishment. He's long been one of my favorite fighters, my favorite fight of all time is his bout with Akiyama (I think it was at UFC 116). I hope he can transition well into coaching and not let his demons get the best of him. The guy has a ton of heart no one can deny that, and I hope he's remembered for great comeback KOs like against Terry Martin and Wanderlei Silva.

I'm torn on Thomson/Bendo, both guys are very good and have shown they can fight for 5 rounds.

I think Stephens and Cerrone both leave with wins. And I think Miocic will keep a distance and use his boxing and angles to decision Gonzaga. I like Gonzaga too, but he's very inconsisent, sometimes he looks like a world beater and sometimes he just can't get it together. When he's at the top of his game, he's a very dangerous man, one of the best BJJ heavyweights in the world as well as he's proven he can throw a headkick.

Good for Leben. Sounds like he's content and happy with his decision. He's been in some wars, and every fight win or loose has been a pleasure to watch.

Last edited by a moderator:
In case you guys missed it.

UFC on Fox 10 Road to the Octagon:

If you have HULU plus, you can watch it there (search "road to the octagon"). In case you want to watch it on your big screen, instead of a computer screen.

Edit: Ahh, sorry guys. I guess youtube disabled embedding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom