What's new

The MMA Thread

^ Leben asked his corner "Did I get knocked out at the end of the round". Ref and Dr heard that, it was enough to warrant a stop.

Either way, he's done the UFC and hopefully fighting anywhere. His style is going to end up getting him seriously injured in the head, long term. Walking forward like Ali used to call Foreman..."The Mummy" just doesn't work with the new guys.

I think Leben for his own health needs to retire. Poor guy has a lot of personal problems and has taken a ton of punishment in the cage. He's put on some amazing fights and has some of the best KO's ever. I hope he's remembered for that. I hope he's able to transition into coaching or something. The guy has tons of heart.

I'm certainly not defending a lot of the stupid things that fighters say from time to time, but IMO that's many athletes of all sports not just fighters.

very true..I guess I just said MMA/UFC as that is the sport I find myself watching with the most interest over the past few years.

I will be watching tonight when the kids go to bed. I thought it was tonight, but the PVR was taping either way. They are airing it in Canada on one of the sports networks or at least it showed they were.

Free UFC is always good

i was watching the 2 minute promo, and they have fights from the UFC's beginning, PRIDE, Strikeforce, WEC and WFL fights. I'll sign up for the free trial to rewatch older fights.

I just checked the guide on the TV and it's set to run from 7-9pm tonight (taped I guess). now past 7 and it's taping and it's on. Same Fight Night announcers (Kenny Florian and the other guy I think).

speaking of the UFC's beginning. I still remember buying PPV UFC #2 with a buddy and taping it on VHS, then making a copy for each of us. Who knew, I'd still be watching and how it would be 20y later.

Last edited:
this is a crazy UFC card....illegal elbows in the first 2 fights, 2 point deduction from ref with no warning, fake groin kicks, disqualified guy leaves ring crying.

bad editing too. They shows the third fight, must have been a a filler from prelims, and when it was over, they started showing the next fight from round 2 and didn't show round one.

not looking good so far, sloppy fights, sloppy broadcast.

and sorry, it's Brian Stann and the other guy, not K-Flo

Last edited:
What do you guys think of Weidman's recent comments:

“I don’t like that his leg got broken,” Weidman said in a Friday telephone conversation with The Times from New York. “It’s bittersweet on that, but I felt I was completely dominating the fight. If anything, him breaking his leg stopped me from putting on more of a show.”

There was some post-fight speculation that the way Silva’s left leg broke indicated perhaps a prior injury, either in training or from a first-round kick on Weidman.
“I’m going to say something happened that moment,” Weidman said. “If he had fractured his leg before the fight, there’s no way he’s throwing kicks like that. I checked the first kick good, which I’m sure hurt him, but I think he wanted to test his leg out again, hoping I didn’t check it.
“It landed flush, right on my knee on the lower end of his shin. Those are both a no-no. Usually, if you kick, you want to kick with the upper part of your shin.”
It’s unclear what the 38-year-old Silva (33-6) will do now, retire or fight on.
The fact that Weidman is the champion in the division Silva has in the past said he had no plans to leave could dim Silva’s possible return.
“It’s a tough injury to come back from,” Weidman said. “I honestly would feel bad to fight him again. I know he’s going to be a little hesitant to kick me. He has to worry about getting knocked out. I’ve dropped him twice, knocked him out once. And I don’t know if it’d even be a fair fight to take.
“There has to be a lot going through his head. Got a leg broken, got knocked out, got dropped. I don’t know where he is mentally, but fighting is 90% mental.”

George, I like Weidman's comments. I think it would be hard for Silva to come back from this injury and I think it would be tough for him to face Weidman again. I remember several years ago Rich Franklin was being interviewed and he was asked if he wanted to fight Silva again. He had no interest in getting beat for a third time. I don't think that Silva had a broken leg before the fight, I think that he hurt it when his leg kick was checked.

I'm of the opinion that there was nothing wrong with Silva's leg before he broke it. The incident was a carbon copy of what happen to Corey Hill except opposite leg, lower shin right below the knee. I don't think we'll ever find out truly who is better Weidman or Silva. Even before he broke his leg he didn't seem the same, and now....forget about it. That cockiness, that attitude, that disdain for other fighters was a huge mental asset. Like Weidman said it's 90% mental.

Coery Hill.

Last edited by a moderator:
It really is, because barao will never get credit for being the real champ. Since many people think he needs to fight cruz. Even though barao is the one that keeps defending the belt.

An interesting note about Corey Hill's leg breaking:

• He was about 30 when he snapped his leg (so 8 years younger than Silva), but he was back in the cage in just over a year and ended up winning his comeback fight.
  • He is 4 - 4 over the last 5 years. So, he seems to have recovered just fine.

The broken leg injury may just look a lot more gruesome than it actually is. I doubt Silva would come back after this, but he should be fine. If they do end up amputating and give Silva a an artificial leg made out of adamantium, my money is on Silva to win the rematch via TKO or death some time early in the third round.

IF (huge if) Silva comes back and ends up fighting weidman again. He should train nothing but wrestling. Surprise weidman and take him down.

That's all i got.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
IF (huge if) Silva comes back and ends up fighting weidman again ...

You have to wonder about that ... I'm guessing that if Silva makes a comeback, Weidman would be one of the two opponents he'd do it for. Let's say it takes a year for him to recover ... more like 18 months by the time he gets back into great shape ... I'm no doctor, just making ill-educated guesses on the timeframe ... he's close to 40. He remembers how the second fight was going before the break, and knows that in the time since the fight Weidman has only gotten better, while his best-case scenario is he's managed not to decline.

The other fight I see him coming back for would be a "superfight" with GSP ... assuming GSP returns (and this fight might just tip the scales there, too.) They'd have to figure out the weight-class issue, but you know a lot of people would pay to see that one. Everyone who buys the fight gets a complimentary DVD of this movie.

One might think that Silva would need a "warm up match" first, or that Dana might tell him he's now 5th in his division, so Weidman would have to wait (less likely, as Dana can smell the rematch money), but I don't see Silva, at his age, having time for that. What's Portuguese for "ain't nobody got time for dat!"?

i was watching the 2 minute promo, and they have fights from the UFC's beginning, PRIDE, Strikeforce, WEC and WFL fights. I'll sign up for the free trial to rewatch older fights.

I think that's the draw, if you can watch old fights whenever you want, that might be cool, but I wouldn't pay money just to see the prelims that won't air on FS1.

Top Bottom