What's new

The MMA Thread

WOW...that was gross.

first off, how does Diego still get to fight at 145, when he comes in a full class heavier. Very glad Dustin put a whooping on him and he's the real deal. looking forward to seeing how far he can go.

Miller looked ok, he never looks specatcular to me but always manages a way. He must be pretty strong though, to get an arm bar in that fashion.

Travis Brown looked amazing and hope he continues to rise. Very happy to see him get the win.

Rhonda fight was as expected, but she came off looking even worse then pre-fight. At least Taite wanted to shake her hand and put it behind her, but Rhonda showed zero class.

Weidman looked amazing, had Sylva in trouble a few times. Even if the leg hadn't broken (again, Gross), I think Weidman grinds out a win via decision or maybe even stoppage or TKO.

Haven't see the nose wipe yet, but can see how that would get a few people upset.

I feel really bad for Silva.
Your seriously more upset by the flag thing than a guy completely fracturing his leg, destroying his career, and probably his mental health as well?

This aggression will not stand man.

I feel bad for Silva, but the two things are completely unrelated. Yes, there are some of us who feel quite strongly about how the flag is treated. If it doesn't bother you at all, well that's your right.

That injury appears to be a career ender. At his age, time to recover and how it will heal.

I think we have see that last of Sylva in the ring....as a fighter.

I feel bad for Silva, but the two things are completely unrelated. Yes, there are some of us who feel quite strongly about how the flag is treated. If it doesn't bother you at all, well that's your right.

Don't put words in my mouth. The flag thing bothered me too, but not as much as someone saying Anderson deserved that cause he liked to show boat, I've come to accept there are lots of people out there less patriotic than I.

WOW...that was gross.

first off, how does Diego still get to fight at 145, when he comes in a full class heavier. Very glad Dustin put a whooping on him and he's the real deal. looking forward to seeing how far he can go.

Miller looked ok, he never looks specatcular to me but always manages a way. He must be pretty strong though, to get an arm bar in that fashion.

Travis Brown looked amazing and hope he continues to rise. Very happy to see him get the win.

Rhonda fight was as expected, but she came off looking even worse then pre-fight. At least Taite wanted to shake her hand and put it behind her, but Rhonda showed zero class.

Weidman looked amazing, had Sylva in trouble a few times. Even if the leg hadn't broken (again, Gross), I think Weidman grinds out a win via decision or maybe even stoppage or TKO.

Haven't see the nose wipe yet, but can see how that would get a few people upset.

Agreed on all points.

did you guys watch the post fight presser where poirier mentioned that diego threatened to stab him in the neck with a knife for looking at him the wrong way? *** right?

^ you can't take the "street" out of some of these guys and this is another case.

I was very happy to see Dustin get in his face at weigh ins and still can't understand how the fight went on. That should be auto disqualified to he overweight by that much.

what is the cutoff for being overweight? Can you sign on to fight at 175 and come in at 205 and still fight with a 25% loss of purse?

Can't stand fighters not making weight, would have made 11 consecutive defenses for Anderson if lutter had made weight.

Don't put words in my mouth. The flag thing bothered me too, but not as much as someone saying Anderson deserved that cause he liked to show boat, I've come to accept there are lots of people out there less patriotic than I.

As have I. It doesn't mean that something like that should pass without comment though. Hopefully someone close to the kid will educate him on respect and proper flag etiquette before his next fight.

I forgot to mention how impressed i was by Michael Johnson, the guy is improving fast. Beating Tibau the way he did is not an easy task, it was quite an achievement for johnson.

I seem to remember Miesha quoted as saying that she would "shoot herself in the face" if she lost to Ronda via armbar again. I hope she doesn't make good on that. There's a shortage of pretty faces in this world, 'twould be a pity to damage hers.

I seem to remember Miesha quoted as saying that she would "shoot herself in the face" if she lost to Ronda via armbar again. I hope she doesn't make good on that. There's a shortage of pretty faces in this world, 'twould be a pity to damage hers.

I guess there is a reason my kids won't be watching MMA for years and years (at least me knowing they are).

Role Models, many of them are not. I remember hearing that too and what a stupid thing for anyone with even 1/2 a brain to say.

Very sad for Silva. That is a heck of a tragic accident at the end of one's career. No one deserves that. Post fight Dana suggested that Silva fractured one of his lower leg bones in the 1st round and then fully compound-fractured his leg with the hard kick.

I hope Rousey takes to heart the crowd booing her win, based on her lack of maturity when interacting with Tate. Open aggression is OK, but even the Diaz brothers show respect after a fight. The girls continue to bring it, that was a good fight and Tate got into Round 3.

What was up with Leben? Is there clarity about his exit? That seemed strange. I hope Hall continues to improve his hunger in the ring, especially with the skills at his disposal.

Also impressed with Browne's skills. He KO'd Gonzaga the same way, which is not very common.

Looking forward to seeing more of William "Patolino" Macario. He was sharp.

Last edited:
Leben must be thinking "I'm too old for this $%#&" and I don't blame him. He's had his bell rung so many times.

^ Leben asked his corner "Did I get knocked out at the end of the round". Ref and Dr heard that, it was enough to warrant a stop.

Either way, he's done the UFC and hopefully fighting anywhere. His style is going to end up getting him seriously injured in the head, long term. Walking forward like Ali used to call Foreman..."The Mummy" just doesn't work with the new guys.

His style is going to end up getting him seriously injured in the head, long term. Walking forward like Ali used to call Foreman..."The Mummy" just doesn't work with the new guys.

Exactly.

Chris....The Zombie, Leban.

Last edited by a moderator:
when you look at how quick and dynamic some of the other fighters in his weight class are, it shows you how much heart he had to survive this long in the UFC.

Hopefully he doesn't go on a personal life downhill spiral when he gets cut (if he hasn't already) as he has has some personal issues in the past that

I forgot to mention how impressed i was by Michael Johnson, the guy is improving fast. Beating Tibau the way he did is not an easy task, it was quite an achievement for johnson.

I agree whole heartedly, I wasn't impressed by him very much in his TUF days, but that kid has come a loooooong way and is really looking good. His last two fights have been very impressive.

I guess there is a reason my kids won't be watching MMA for years and years (at least me knowing they are).

Role Models, many of them are not. I remember hearing that too and what a stupid thing for anyone with even 1/2 a brain to say.

I'm certainly not defending a lot of the stupid things that fighters say from time to time, but IMO that's many athletes of all sports not just fighters.

Top Bottom