What's new

The Intercontinental All Italian Shave-Off

Without even seeing this thread, I used my Fatip, Omega 49, Cella and Proraso Green AS this morning. I just didn't have an Italian blade!

Joe

Joe, you are officially entered into membership! Nice set up! PM me with your address and I will PIF you a couple Bolzanos.

I have successfully narrowed my razors to 5. I thought I was done. How does it compare to a New LC? Thats the only OC I have and my favorite razor of them all.

I have successfully narrowed my razors to 5. I thought I was done. How does it compare to a New LC? Thats the only OC I have and my favorite razor of them all.

Coming from a previously all vintage Gillette guy who thought he was "done" too... The FaTip is my only modern razor, everything else is vintage Gillette including 2 1930's NEWs (LC & SC), pre-war Techs, 40's and 50's style Super Speed, a Fat Boy and a Slim Adjustable, and a couple 60's Techs. I was "bit" (pun intended) by the open comb thing. The NEWs are great but I was intrigued by the reputation of the FaTip, its cool looks plus being an Italian-American I just had to have one! I have to say that the FaTip head is significantly more aggressive than the NEW. I have read opinions that put the FaTip with the Old Style open comb but I have no experience with that. IMO, The FaTip with its blade exposure is the most aggressive (I don't like that phrase) or "efficient" razor I have and the only think close would be an adjustable set on 9. Do not fear the FaTip, just respect it and heed what people say about ZERO pressure and consistent blade angle. The more I use it the more comfortable I become and I'm sure if I used it every day for a few weeks I would be in some Zen state with it!

I'm curious about the shim. I've got my EJ shimmed but haven't tried it with the Fatip. How many are you using?
I find that one shim is perfect for me. A few others have tried it on the DE sub-forum; some found that it made the shave smoother, and some did not. Give it a try and see what you think.

I have all 6 major varieties of the NEW and the Fatip is way more aggressive than all of them. It can easily cut you if you're not paying attention, but once you master it, it's so smooth and easily a daily razor. I found that adding one shim made it even smoother.

I have read opinions that put the FaTip with the Old Style open comb but I have no experience with that.
I have both and find the Fatip more aggressive/efficient, and at the same time smoother. I like the Old Type, but find it a bit more harsh.

I hope someone does. I've tried the 2013 version and it was too much for my 4am shaves. I am tending to lean towards less aggressive razors. When I first started more aggressive was the quest. Not anymore. My LC is about as aggressive as I like.

general opinion is a little less scary than the R41 but maybe some with experience with both will weigh in.
I have both the Fatip and the R41, and almost equal experience with both. I can shave with the Fatip completely on auto-pilot as fast as I want and don't worry about getting nicked.

With the R41, I still have to pay attention; it's "grabbier" and the blade chatters more.

Week 1 Day 7

I was thinking that pretty much any Soap can be a daily Soap.
But Cella and few others are the one, are elected by goodness.
The fatty rich lather, lubrication and scent are simply unbelievable for a soap of this price. I think it's simply unbeatable.
Do you have any problem for lathering?
I think that everyone could also start using the Marco method for lathering. It's easy. Everyone has it's own way, included me but I think that in case, Marco's method is the way.

Fatip as Steve says, requires respect and dedication. It's not perfect it's not the best. Sometimes it's a miss or a hit. But it's a lovely razor, well hand made, for the job to be done. It can't be easy at the first stages but you need to know it.
Its dangerous character especially for the ATG it's coped with an exceptional handling IMO.
It needs to be handled gently: no pressure, consistent angle (the head won't help so rely on your wrist) and follow your face map first. Couple with a good Soap lathered on your face, done!
Can you find a better razor for that price of a Fatip on the old world? Probably not.

The Omega brush is the elegant Italian dresses brother of the Mythical Omega 48. What can I say more on a mythic brush? Nothing more than... Use it!

Bolzano Blades are incredible! To me they last minimum 7 shaves. They reach the optimum after 2/3 shaves, after then they become better!!
Today I had the the best shave so far: again they are going to be not close as the first day but they are simply good. I don't see any reason to toss the blade today but I will do it. Next shave off new blade!

IMO and YMMV are as always mandatory!

Cheers!

Happy Friday Gentlemen (and any ladies that may be following)! Today marks Shave #5 for me for my maiden voyage "All Italian" SOTW. I skipped 2 days while traveling this week so I won't be getting a full week out of this run. I usually go 7 days on a blade and then change blade and razor, alternate brushes between days, and use whatever soap or cream I'm focusing on that week. It has been fun staying with exactly one set up and learning the particulars on those products.
- As we have stated before, focusing on the FaTip really is a benefit and after several shaves I really got the "touch" down pat and have had very smooth, efficient and comfortable shaves this week.
- The Bolzano blade is sharp and seems to hold up well past 5 shaves. Like may coated blades the blade smoothes out with 2-4 shaves.
- The Omega Italian Flag Special Edion Brush. Oh wow! Such a great knot and beautiful heavy handle.
- Cella has been "bella"! The more I focus on the Marco Method the better my lather is.

This wraps the first week of the Italian adventure. We will be announcing next week's set up so stay tuned and we hope you will hang with us and enjoy your Italian shaves!

Week 2 Day 1

We agreed with Steve to have the new shave off on the common ground of Proraso. Proraso Green, easy as it shaves. Fresh as the summer requires, but the fragrance is still timeless and season less.
My Barber after a recent discussion said that he will never change this one for any reason. There are better soaps? Probably. But this is one of great bang for buck ever. In addition, it works. It works great and with consistency. I never failed with it and it was my shaving companion during my deployments.

I had an imprinting with this Soap, was my very first Soap and my first love.
I simply love it because it make feels like coming back home.

About the brush: specially made for Proraso by Omega (what a wonderful choice). also know the #102. Despite the same handle of bigger brother 49 and 48 its loft is shorter of about 1.5cm from the #48 and about 0.5 cm from #49. The big knot and shorter loft means great backbone, great loading and consistency in results. A winner.

And to not waste all my cartridges, and to kit boring you more, I will stop here. Just few words that going fulk throttle to Italian Green means also we went using one of the greatest Splash and balm plus the timeless Green Preshave.
Freshness granted for who likes it!

YMMV and IMO are mandatory...

Our next week setup for the shave off will be this

proxy.php

Proraso Green Preshave
Brush: Proraso Omega (aka the #102)
Razor: Fatip Grande Gold
Blades: Bolzano SuperInox
Soap: Proraso Green Tub
AS: Proraso Splash / Proraso Green Balm

Folks enjoy with your Italian shaving stuff and have fun!

I have both the Fatip and the R41, and almost equal experience with both. I can shave with the Fatip completely on auto-pilot as fast as I want and don't worry about getting nicked.

With the R41, I still have to pay attention; it's "grabbier" and the blade chatters more.

Could be like that but IMO the Fatip needs more work to find the sweet spot for the right shaving angle.

Aggressiveness can be coped with both, using the same advices as said before.

Top Bottom