What's new

The Gem 1912 Registry (post pics of your 1912s)

This might be an interesting and informative project, with the centenary of the Gem 1912 design coming up. Let's see just how many variations of the Gem 1912 we can identify.

I've noted a few detail variations in the photo below, but there are many more variations in detail that I do not have photos of.
proxy.php

If you have some Gem 1912s, or variations of them (Star, Ever-Ready, Treet, etc.) try and get some good clear close ups of them. Front, Back, "under the hood" - I think it'd be interesting to see how many variations we can identify.

I've already posted these photos before, but I'll just start the thread by posting some of the photos I have of 1912s.
proxy.php

Travel 1912, short handle, short head, curved blade cover. bent blade clip, etc.

proxy.php

Gem 1912, ornate handle, bevelled blade cover, straight blade clip, etc.

proxy.php

Back of a Gem Junior head.

proxy.php

Damaskeene, "Gem Cutlery Co" on back. Bevelled blade cover.

There are also variations in the thumb clip on the blade cover, variations in the "comb", etc. I'm hoping to see some interesting variations. Heck you might have a rare variation and not even know it, the 1912 was changed so many times over its production life.
If you know of other details that underwent evolution on the 1912, mention them here so we all know what to look for.

Oh boy, we gonna need a bigger server for this thread..................

Attachments

• $Jaws-You-re-Gonna-Need-a-Bigger-Boat-jaws-9385126-700-513.jpg
    $Jaws-You-re-Gonna-Need-a-Bigger-Boat-jaws-9385126-700-513.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 965
Interesting! I'll contribute, but it might be Friday. I have three different 1912 variants and my Dad has two. None of the five are alike. If cased sets are involved, would you like them included, or just the razor itself?

Here's mine

Attachments

• $P1110099.JPG
    $P1110099.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 959
  • $P1110098.JPG
    $P1110098.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 956
  • $P1110100.JPG
    $P1110100.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 954
  • $P1110097.JPG
    $P1110097.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 922
Last edited:
Interesting! I'll contribute, but it might be Friday. I have three different 1912 variants and my Dad has two. None of the five are alike. If cased sets are involved, would you like them included, or just the razor itself?

Well if we're doing this, might as well have all the info in one place, so sure include cases.

Set #1 (I use the word 'set' loosely here because it's just a box w/instructions):$Razors 009.jpg$Razors 011.jpg$Razors 010.jpg$Razors 012.jpg
Also, this one simply says "GEM" on the rear of the head.

Set #2. This one is I think a Peerless set, judging by the huge instruction/advertising sheet that came with it. It has a noticeably more rounded top plate than the other razor.$Razors 013.jpg$Razors 014.jpg$Razors 015.jpg$Razors 016.jpg$Razors 021.jpg

ok here's my new Damaskeene (purchased from Strohman),
by the looks of it, it's the one with the squared indent, around the blade clip

proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

(oh are we including Ever Ready's in this list?)

Last edited:
Instead of posting pictures, mine is like Dcobranchi's although it's kindof hard to tell how the lid is shaped. Mine is flat with a bend at the top and at the bottom.

Ok, I'll post one of the lid.

Attachments

• $20120203_5.jpg
    $20120203_5.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 889
Last edited:
ok i've just got a Damaskeene, but quite different to my other one, the blade cover is straight, or flat not curved,
i'll post pics later....

Edit; oh and a different handle like the one in Showard's 2nd post

Pleased to have found this thread, as it reveals that the typology of the 1912s is even more obscure than the Schicks and the Valets.
I have 3 British ER 1912s that, apart from the handles are identical with a flat bevelled cap.
But now I have one that says "Brooklyn, New York Made In USA" and it has a curved top plate that is concavely convex, ie it has a dimple in the middle like I've seen the Damaskeene cap described.
It didn't come with a handle but none of my British handles would fit it - until I tapped the hole.
Let's hope it shaves like the Damaskeene too!
proxy.php

Last edited:
Here are some more close ups. It says pat. 1912, dose anyone know the date of manufacture by shape of head or something?
$IMG_2972.jpg

$IMG_2971.jpg

$IMG_2977.jpg

One more close up a side shot.

$IMG_2973.jpg
Now for a question on the case. Someone told me it might be an Every-ready case, but then I saw Showards case.

As you can see with the handle screwed on it well not fit in the case. So I unscrew it to store not ideal.

$IMG_2978.jpg$IMG_2980.jpg$IMG_2979.jpg

Maybe I have the wrong handle? Or head? What do you guys think?

Top Bottom