What's new

Stretch Your Skin - How?

On every video I've seen, in every discussion I've read, stretching of the skin is suggested to get around the jaw line.

How exactly does one do that, when you have slick lather and slippery fingers???

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
giphy.gif

Seriously, by making stupid faces, opening the mouth, I've even pulled the ears a bit to get my old wrinkly saggy skin to tighten up.

If your fingers are slippery you can rub them on an alum bar then they will have plenty of grips. I try to keep my fingers dry, at least not covered in Lather. I will also grab a kleenex tissue now and then and use it between my fingers and my face to get a grip. Don't try toilet tissue as it will fall apart too fast. Then you got another issue. I've known of guys who have 2-inch square clothes they use for stretching. But I'd lose these too easily and the wife wouldn't be happy dealing with them in the laundry.

Try yawning really hard. Making silly faces. Use a thinner lather and press with several fingers in the area below where you are shaving. It doesn't take very much force. You are trying to keep the skin from bunching up in front of the blade. You want a nice even surface for the razor to glide through. If you can pull the skin around the corner, so to speak, you can get a closer shave in some problem areas.

I respectfully challenge the accuracy of the premise. I don't think it's necessary to stretch your skin to shave over one's jaw line. It may help, however, to have a slick lather, a sharp blade, and to use light pressure.

I remember the days when my skin was tight and I didn't need any skin stretch but now at 76yo, I can pull my neck skin halfway to my ear :pipe:So nowadays I just wet my fingers and pull, making sure I get between all the wrinkles and just take the extra time and enjoy my shave. LOL

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I agree with the agreement of the assessment.
But I don't agree with the assessment.
It's not the same for everyone. We're different.
That's ok.
If you don't need to stretch your skin, that's great!
We'll not try to convince you that you need to.
The OP wasn't asking if it was necessary or not, for him - it is.
He said so.
He was asking for tips on how to accomplish the task.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I use a damp facecloth, regret using too much pressure, and keep hoping @Tomo will explain how he stretches in more than one direction at once. He uses slicker lather than me which makes it seem even tougher.

I use a damp facecloth, regret using too much pressure, and keep hoping @Tomo will explain how he stretches in more than one direction at once. He uses slicker lather than me which makes it seem even tougher.
The two way stretch is done by stretching your skin apart with your thumb and pointer finger as well as pulling with your hand as normal. It is particularly useful for tackling difficult neck hollows. Drying your skin with a towel can help you to get a better grip and I do that on the ATG pass. I find skin stretching much easier with a straight razor. The straight em razor removes the lather more completely and leaves less residual lather in the skin.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
The two way stretch is done by stretching your skin apart with your thumb and pointer finger as well as pulling with your hand as normal. It is particularly useful for tackling difficult neck hollows. Drying your skin with a towel can help you to get a better grip and I do that on the ATG pass. I find skin stretching much easier with a straight razor. The straight em razor removes the lather more completely and leaves less residual lather in the skin.
And here I was using my thumb, index and middle fingers to three-way stretch and then trying to shave with my SR between the gaps of those three finger. Now I know! 😄 (for Americans).

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
And here I was using my thumb, index and middle fingers to three-way stretch and then trying to shave with my SR between the gaps of those three finger. Now I know! 😄 (for Americans).
You need one of those rare 1/8 eBay specials to get it to fit.

Top Bottom