What's new

Still Trying To Decide...

Ken,

There are always those who will, "open door, toss in grenade, close door, and exit quickly." I, on the other hand tend not to be bright enough to leave expediously after having pitched the explosives. So while here I think I have to comment that since you can no longer get the cheap TI 1937 Coiffeur something something something from the Knifecenter and that the TI something Gnome is a slightly more expensive and slightly better finished half hollow, it's probably worth taking a chance on. And while I have referred to my idea of apian heaven, Dovo's bees kneed fake tortise Special, the TI ...Gnome is my current go-to. Having said that, I am, as our TI bon amis would comment, tres fickle with my affections.:001_rolle

The Dovo Renaissance is coming up in the rotation and after a few more delicate hone ministrations may see itself at the head of the heep.:tongue_sm It's a stainless blade and should be immune to a few sessions in the advanced humidity of the shave den - always something worth considering.

The Dovo Renaissance is coming up in the rotation and after a few more delicate hone ministrations may see itself at the head of the heep.:tongue_sm It's a stainless blade and should be immune to a few sessions in the advanced humidity of the shave den - always something worth considering.

:w00t:See how you are:
Guessing that I'll be spending time in Central America, and bringing the Dovo Renaissance back into picture with it's moisture resisting stainless steel blade.
I'm still going to mark you down as a vote for the TI. So There.:biggrin:
Ken.

:w00t:See how you are:
Guessing that I'll be spending time in Central America, and bringing the Dovo Renaissance back into picture with it's moisture resisting stainless steel blade.
I'm still going to mark you down as a vote for the TI. So There.:biggrin:
Ken.

If you're traveling or the like - get a Feather AC... trust me. If you're in Central America, and something happens to the razor (Dinged, etc) you're hosed - and I highly doubt you plan on bringing 4-5 hones, etc. With a Feather A/C - you screw up a blade, you merely pop another in. A/C's are my go-to travel razor. I don't like 'em for daily use, but when traveling - they are the BEST shaving razor you don't need equipment for... period. They're small, lightweight and require little/nothing to keep them going. A Feather a/c and a tiny 20 pack of blades equates to at least 5 months of shaves - and that's including factoring in a dinged blade or two.

Sure... some fellas will insist on shlepping a razor, a strop, a sharpening stone, a protective oil, blah blah blah - but it just seems horrendously pointless. I don't care who you are, or why you're traveling - if you are living out of a suitcase (for business or pleasure) the last thing you want on your mind is maintaining a razor. Stuff happens - and the probability of losing/damaging a straight razor (the edge at the least) is quite high.... why risk it?

Thanks Joel,
I agree that all of what you say is valid. FWIW I will be taking a Feather DX, along with a Murker HD DE. Some guys just like to enjoy a variety. As an example, I'll be taking at least three fountain pens, when we know one would do the job just fine. I have a travel strop (thanks Tony) but seriously doubt that I will take any stones unless I remember where my old barber hone is.
Ken.

I usually put my hone in a shoe when travelling. When travelling alone I find honing a nice and relaxing thing to do in a hotel room. I prefer it to TV and the sleazy adult channels offered in many hotels. It also gives me a good reason not to spend the night in the bar.

I just noticed I have been promoted to Lieutenant of Free Samples. Hope the first one will arrive soon! Or will Joel ship the le Grelot razor for free to me now for a test shave???

If you're traveling or the like - get a Feather AC... trust me. If you're in Central America, and something happens to the razor (Dinged, etc) you're hosed - and I highly doubt you plan on bringing 4-5 hones, etc. With a Feather A/C - you screw up a blade, you merely pop another in. A/C's are my go-to travel razor. I don't like 'em for daily use, but when traveling - they are the BEST shaving razor you don't need equipment for... period. They're small, lightweight and require little/nothing to keep them going. A Feather a/c and a tiny 20 pack of blades equates to at least 5 months of shaves - and that's including factoring in a dinged blade or two.

Sure... some fellas will insist on shlepping a razor, a strop, a sharpening stone, a protective oil, blah blah blah - but it just seems horrendously pointless. I don't care who you are, or why you're traveling - if you are living out of a suitcase (for business or pleasure) the last thing you want on your mind is maintaining a razor. Stuff happens - and the probability of losing/damaging a straight razor (the edge at the least) is quite high.... why risk it?

So there I was, ready to keep going in my own bull headed way and buy another razor; I actually dialed the phone, luckily the number was busy.
I went to the PO and the Feather Artist DX I bought through e-bay was waiting. I didn't expect much after seeing some of the razor holders that use half a blade. Man, this thing is nice. I put in a blade and touched up a scratchy patch with a dry face, thinking this might be OK. After running an errand I changed to a Feather Pro Guard blade, lathered up with Sienna soap and went to town. Man, those blades are sharp!:w00t: I think I will learn to like the DX. I intend to keep an eye out for a TI Super Gnome, but for this trip I'll just take a Murker HD DE and the Feather DX, knowing that the "Limited Edition B&B 2008 Pink Ivory Le Grelot" should be ready for me when I get home.:tongue_sm
Thanks for all your advice.
Ken.

Top Bottom