What's new

Still Trying To Decide...

So far my shaving attempts with a straight razor have been in the mediocre range at best. One of the things is that all of the razors I have used have a square point with which to gouge my neck:w00t: . I will admit that they make it easier to trim around my newly grown goatee:smile: . A quick check of the finances shows that I can afford to indulge myself a bit.
I would appreciate your opinions in this matter.

No matter which one I choose I intend to order it "Pre Honed" just to be sure...

I am looking at these razors:

I have handled this one and thought it felt quite nice. I also like the idea of a SS blade.
DOVO "Renaissance" SS 6/8
http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522940/190256.htm

This is under consideration:
Thiers-Issard "Super Gnome" White, 6/8
http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/846013/803570.htm

I don't care for the feel of this one as much as the Renaissance, but it receives high recommendations from many shavers.
DOVO "Special" Tortoise 6/8
http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522940/190287.htm

Ken - all of those are nice but you ought to "bite the bullett" and sign up for the Pink Ivory scaled B&B straight razor. That is a better razor than what you mentioned...just my 2 cents.

Rob - Ken is signed up for the Le Grelot :wink:

Ken - i'd suggest waiting and sticking with yer Le Grelot. Seems a little pointless to get a pretty plain jane/average dovo or TI when you have something special coming :wink:

I am looking forward toward the Le Gerlot, but will be out of the country for awhile with not much to do. I think that it would be a good time to mess around with a new blade. I can have the Le Grelet when I return.
I also want a good razor to travel with. Sorry to say but I have no confidence that the things in my checked baggage will be there when I arrive at my destination. I've had a few mishaps in that arena already..

Ken - all of those are nice but you ought to "bite the bullett" and sign up for the Pink Ivory scaled B&B straight razor. That is a better razor than what you mentioned...just my 2 cents.

I already have. This is to use in the meantime..:biggrin:

Ken,

I really like the TI's I have, but I also have the DOVO 6/8 tortise shell and like it much and greatly too. The scales on the DOVO tortise are the bee's knees in my opinion. All will work for you; my vote is for the fake turtle.

Although... my travel razor is a TI cheap 1/2 hollow with white scales. I bought it because it was inexpensive and its loss would not be traumatic. It shaves very well (and that from a personal attempt at honing), so if I were to lose it now I'd not be happy - not happy at all. And there we go with maybe another option thrown into the hopper.

Happy to be of help --anytime:lol:

So far my shaving attempts with a straight razor have been in the mediocre range at best. One of the things is that all of the razors I have used have a square point with which to gouge my neck:w00t: . I will admit that they make it easier to trim around my newly grown goatee:smile: . A quick check of the finances shows that I can afford to indulge myself a bit.
I would appreciate your opinions in this matter.

No matter which one I choose I intend to order it "Pre Honed" just to be sure...

I am looking at these razors:

I have handled this one and thought it felt quite nice. I also like the idea of a SS blade.
DOVO "Renaissance" SS 6/8
http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522940/190256.htm

This is under consideration:
Thiers-Issard "Super Gnome" White, 6/8
http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/846013/803570.htm

I don't care for the feel of this one as much as the Renaissance, but it receives high recommendations from many shavers.
DOVO "Special" Tortoise 6/8
http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522940/190287.htm

All three should give you good service. I would take the TI, but that's my bias. I think they hold an edge better.

I just got that Dovo special tortoise in 6/8" about 2 weeks ago based on all the glowing recommendations here, personally and here I am probably in the minority but I am not all that crazy about the scales, but with what it seems all photos on classic shaving it is much better looking in person then in there photos, that said it is the cheapest of the 3 you selected there and I am in total agreement with the others here it is a great shaver, for the price I don't think you can go wrong on that one.

I know there is a review for the Dovo Renaissance here in the review section as well, maybe that will help you decide as well.

As I read this we have a tie between the TI Super Gnome and the Dovo Special. Surely I can garner a few more opinions (votes) on which will become my travel razor.
Ken.

The TI is half hollow, while the Dovo is full hollow. That's something you should consider. I don't know what straights you have at the moment, or if you have a preference either way. Also, the Dovo has a round point, while the TI is half-round. In general I'm not a big fan of round points, and prefer half round or squares. Again, up to you.

I have the TI (well, the "1937" version of it), but I haven't tried the Dovo, so I can't really make a recommendation.

TI's aren't easy to hone so if you want to start honing yourself eventually the Dovo might be a better choice. Stainless steel is harde to hone than carbon steel AFAIK.

My USD 0.02

The TI is half hollow, while the Dovo is full hollow. That's something you should consider. I don't know what straights you have at the moment, or if you have a preference either way. Also, the Dovo has a round point, while the TI is half-round. In general I'm not a big fan of round points, and prefer half round or squares. Again, up to you.

I have the TI (well, the "1937" version of it), but I haven't tried the Dovo, so I can't really make a recommendation.

Thanks,
Good catch on the half round as opposed to round consideration. I have never tried either, and getting away from the square points is the draw of these razors, along with them being heavier.
Ken.

TI's aren't easy to hone so if you want to start honing yourself eventually the Dovo might be a better choice. Stainless steel is harde to hone than carbon steel AFAIK.

My USD 0.02

Thanks for your input.
The first descriptive line on the "Classic Shaving" site says:
"Forged of Finest Quality High Carbon Steel"
So, I guess that leaves the TI and Dovo more or less even in the steel department, as they are both carbon steel blades.

The place I am unsure is how the 1/2 ground blade differs from the full ground blade while shaving. I sure would like some of you more experienced shavers to comment on that aspect.
Ken

Ken,

The full-hollow "singing" blade flexes while you shave with it. The edge is no sharper than a half-hollow grind, but it will "talk" to you as the thin part of the blade acts as a sounding board while the edge flexes slightly as it cuts whiskers. I find this somewhat disconcerting with one particular TI which I swear grumbles, not sings. The stiffer half-hollow seems to take on its shaving tasks a bit more matter-of-factly.

The full, half, quarter, etc., hollow grinds refer to the amount of steel or thickness of the web section between the spine and the edge. The thinner this web is, the more "full" the grind. So full-hollow indicates a web of minimum thickness and maximum delicacy, thus its greater flexibility with resulting abililty to act as a sounding board that amplifies the sound of the edge cutting whiskers.

If the bon ami at Thiers Issard were to produce a 6/8 half-hollow or quarter-hollow with a thumb rest, mirror polish, and fake tortise shell scales - at least as nice as the Dovo handles - I'd be in hog heaven and immediately poorer for my order of same.

For me, the Dovo Special neither sings nor grumbles, so it may have a slightly heavier full-hollow grind than other "singing"razors. It shaves well, I think the TI shaves a bit better, but that is an entirely subjective analysis since I use only one razor at a time and generally never use the same soap or cream or razor two days in a row. --Hey, it's my face and my bathroom--:lol:

If there is anything else we can do to further cloud the issue or make the choice more difficult, be sure to let us know.:w00t:

Ken,
If there is anything else we can do to further cloud the issue or make the choice more difficult, be sure to let us know.:w00t:

Hey! Now you're getting into my teritory:wink:

Nice comments, thanks. I'm going to rate that one as a + for the TI..
Ken.

So, I guess that leaves the TI and Dovo more or less even in the steel department, as they are both carbon steel blades.

Not really. For the most part TI carbon steel is better, and better treated, than the Dovo carbon steel, and Dovos have a reputation for being harder to hone than Dovos. The Dovo Bergischer Lowe that has been discussed in another recent thread is exceptional steel, but it has a reputation as being harder to hone than the other Dovos. There are no free lunches....

Not really. For the most part TI carbon steel is better, and better treated, than the Dovo carbon steel, and Dovos have a reputation for being harder to hone than Dovos. The Dovo Bergischer Lowe that has been discussed in another recent thread is exceptional steel, but it has a reputation as being harder to hone than the other Dovos. There are no free lunches....

Trying to clarify here.
The difference in varying carbon steels is noted. For the purpose of this discussion we are dividing the razors into two camps: stainless and carbon steel. That is why I listed them as being equal, not quality, but both as carbon steel. You lost me however when you said "Dovo's have a reputation for being harder to hone than Dovo's". Which were you saying were harder to sharpen, the TI's or the Dovo's?
Thanks, Ken.

With no intention of answering for mp, I interpreted his answer as meaning that the Dovo Bergischer Lowe is somewhat more of a challenge to hone than the other carbon steel Dovos, as the Bergischer has different (some would say better) steel. My own experience with TIs leads me to believe that they are more difficult to hone than the Dovos, but take a better edge (imo) and hold it longer.
As to the difference between the carbon steel razors and stainless (inox) razors? thats a question for the ages. Ive honed and shaved with both the Henckels Friodurs (stainless) and the TIs, and they both shave great. If your talking about first rate razors, the differences are probably subtle at best. If you compare a standard carbon steel razor to a top shelf stainless (or vice versa) there wont be much of a contest.

All that said, I have a 6/8 TI super gnome and really like it, but I recieved one that had a really great grind. I have also bought super gnomes that had clunky grinds, maybe they are more consistent now.

Best,

Dave

All that said, I have a 6/8 TI super gnome and really like it, but I received one that had a really great grind. I have also bought super gnomes that had clunky grinds, maybe they are more consistent now.

Best,

Dave

:eek: NO No No! Not more variables:eek:
All I want to do is choose a good travel razor that I won't go ballistic about if the airlines "Lose".:wink:
Now we have to bring quality control into the frey.:001_huh:

Still lots of time to get your opinion registered. As it stands the competition is between the TI Super Gnome and the Dovo Special. Come on Guy's, help me decide by casting a vote. You know as well as I do that I want someone to blame if I don't like whatever I get.:wink::biggrin:
Ken.

Top Bottom