What's new

Sriracha shortage

Sriracha was/is made in Irwindale, CAL. Strong stuff, the locals complained for years about the fumes emitted from the smokestacks. For whatever reason, it is best on Asian food, while Cholula seems right for Mex food, although I prefer Tapatio. ”Es un salsa, muy salsa!”.

I forgot to put the link in my last post. It's a good watch. Huy Fong broke multiple financial agreements with Underwood Ranch, with one of the bigger ones being a failure to pay $18M up front for crops. I'm not sure what they were thinking, but it hasn't worked out in their favor at this point. Not only did Huy Fong Foods lose in the initial court challenge, they lost again when they appealed the decision.

How did the Huy Fong Foods Shortage Happen? It's pretty interesting actually. Good thing sriracha isn't trademarked because a number of other people are making it. Including Underwood Ranch.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
It's far lighter in color than it used to be.

20240207_151409.jpg

I have a good friend in the food service industry and heard the farmer that supplied the peppers for OG Siracha was not getting paid by the company who refused to pay the farmer the increased cost of producing the peppers. The company that makes siracha has since found a new farmer/supplier of peppers but they aren't the same ones and the product is now different.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I have a half bottle of Huy Fong sitting around. It got very little use or love. It had become pretty much a one trick pony, going into the Mornay for macaroni and cheese. I never found that I clicked with it because of its pronounced sweetness and its low level of heat.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
We never had much use for Huy Fong's sriracha (once got it from a waitress in a bar in Ottawa as "Sree Rotch, eh?").

Their sambal oelek was good, but I really like their chili-garlic paste. Lots of pretenders to the crown making sriracha now, even a few making sambal. But so far dangit nobody's making chili-garlic sauce.

O.H.

It's a Mexican chili sauce, the glass bottles are excellent to reuse for aftershave, not that I have ever done that myself. In any case I get mine in 1.5L catering sized plastic bottles.

View attachment 1682585
Valentina (Extra hot for me) is an almost perfect analog and maybe $4 for a 1L bottle last time I bought. now I just buy red and green salsa from my local taco truck's abuelita (transferred from the go cups they came home in).

IMG_7366.jpeg

We never had much use for Huy Fong's sriracha (once got it from a waitress in a bar in Ottawa as "Sree Rotch, eh?").

Their sambal oelek was good, but I really like their chili-garlic paste. Lots of pretenders to the crown making sriracha now, even a few making sambal. But so far dangit nobody's making chili-garlic sauce.

O.H.

It's definitely about regional tastes. While Huy Fong's version of Sriracha is popular in US and Canada, it's just one of many, many variations of the recipe. Of course, everyone's version of sriracha is the best one Thailand.

Its along the same lines as the claims to the "best" cornbread, chili, bbq, (insert whatever regional food here).

I did find it interesting to see a list of regional purchases of hot sauce based off of Insta-cart sales from 2020-2021.
  • Alabama – Frank’s RedHot
  • Alaska – Tabasco
  • Arizona – Cholula
  • Arkansas – Louisiana
  • California – Tapatio
  • Colorado – Cholula
  • Connecticut – Frank’s RedHot
  • Delaware – Frank’s RedHot
  • Florida – Cholula
  • Georgia – Texas Pete
  • Hawaii – Tabasco
  • Idaho – Cholula
  • Illinois – Cholula
  • Indiana – Frank’s RedHot
  • Iowa – Burman’s
  • Kansas – Tabasco
  • Kentucky – Frank’s RedHot
  • Louisiana – Tabasco
  • Maine – Frank’s RedHot
  • Maryland – Frank’s RedHot
  • Massachusetts – Frank’s RedHot
  • Michigan – Frank’s RedHot
  • Minnesota – Frank’s RedHot
  • Mississippi – Louisiana
  • Missouri – Burman’s
  • Montana – Cholula
  • Nebraska – Cholula
  • Nevada – Cholula
  • New Hampshire – Frank’s RedHot
  • New Jersey – Frank’s RedHot
  • New Mexico – Cholula
  • New York – Frank’s RedHot
  • North Carolina – Texas Pete
  • North Dakota – Village Hot Sauce
  • Ohio – Frank’s RedHot
  • Oklahoma – Cholula
  • Oregon – Cholula
  • Pennsylvania – Burman’s
  • Rhode Island – Frank’s RedHot
  • South Carolina – Texas Pete
  • South Dakota – Burman’s
  • Tennessee – Frank’s RedHot
  • Texas – Cholula
  • Utah – Cholula
  • Vermont – Frank’s RedHot
  • Virginia – Texas Pete
  • Washington – Cholula
  • Washington, D.C. – Cholula
  • West Virginia – Frank’s RedHot
  • Wisconsin – Frank’s RedHot
  • Wyoming – Cholula

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Valentina (Extra hot for me) is an almost perfect analog

I got a big bottle of that a while ago for my son, and he loves it on lots of stuff. We also have a knock-off siracha bottle that I am working through but no plans to replace once it's gone.

I got a big bottle of that a while ago for my son, and he loves it on lots of stuff. We also have a knock-off siracha bottle that I am working through but no plans to replace once it's gone.
Yeah. I don’t cook Asian at home, and use the chili oil when I’m eating pho out, so I don’t stock siracha either. But boy howdy did the spawn grow up swilling the stuff. I grew up on Mexican and Tex-Mex hot salsas.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Success! As the level in my old jar of chili-garlic sauce got lower and lower I was hunting all over town for it. As noted above, everybody and their elder maiden aunt is making sriracha these days but not a drop of this stuff. Went to an out of my way Asian grocery and there it was. It's now awaiting its fate in the pantry...

O.H.

It's definitely about regional tastes. While Huy Fong's version of Sriracha is popular in US and Canada, it's just one of many, many variations of the recipe. Of course, everyone's version of sriracha is the best one Thailand.

Its along the same lines as the claims to the "best" cornbread, chili, bbq, (insert whatever regional food here).

I did find it interesting to see a list of regional purchases of hot sauce based off of Insta-cart sales from 2020-2021.
  • Alabama – Frank’s RedHot
  • Alaska – Tabasco
  • Arizona – Cholula
  • Arkansas – Louisiana
  • California – Tapatio
  • Colorado – Cholula
  • Connecticut – Frank’s RedHot
  • Delaware – Frank’s RedHot
  • Florida – Cholula
  • Georgia – Texas Pete
  • Hawaii – Tabasco
  • Idaho – Cholula
  • Illinois – Cholula
  • Indiana – Frank’s RedHot
  • Iowa – Burman’s
  • Kansas – Tabasco
  • Kentucky – Frank’s RedHot
  • Louisiana – Tabasco
  • Maine – Frank’s RedHot
  • Maryland – Frank’s RedHot
  • Massachusetts – Frank’s RedHot
  • Michigan – Frank’s RedHot
  • Minnesota – Frank’s RedHot
  • Mississippi – Louisiana
  • Missouri – Burman’s
  • Montana – Cholula
  • Nebraska – Cholula
  • Nevada – Cholula
  • New Hampshire – Frank’s RedHot
  • New Jersey – Frank’s RedHot
  • New Mexico – Cholula
  • New York – Frank’s RedHot
  • North Carolina – Texas Pete
  • North Dakota – Village Hot Sauce
  • Ohio – Frank’s RedHot
  • Oklahoma – Cholula
  • Oregon – Cholula
  • Pennsylvania – Burman’s
  • Rhode Island – Frank’s RedHot
  • South Carolina – Texas Pete
  • South Dakota – Burman’s
  • Tennessee – Frank’s RedHot
  • Texas – Cholula
  • Utah – Cholula
  • Vermont – Frank’s RedHot
  • Virginia – Texas Pete
  • Washington – Cholula
  • Washington, D.C. – Cholula
  • West Virginia – Frank’s RedHot
  • Wisconsin – Frank’s RedHot
  • Wyoming – Cholula
Happy that Oregon is into Cholula (I think it's much better than Tapatio and hotter than Valentina). Though I was a little suprised that Crystal wasn't represented.

Top Bottom