What's new

Sriracha shortage

It's a Mexican chili sauce, the glass bottles are excellent to reuse for aftershave, not that I have ever done that myself. In any case I get mine in 1.5L catering sized plastic bottles.

View attachment 1682585
Good stuff. I've narrowed my stock of sauces though, Tabasco, Red Hot for wings sauce or a stand alone, and the red and green stuff from the local Mexican stores edit El yucateco. That stuff has kick. I do have some kimchi (always)and Korean spicy stuff to try still though lol. Don't like sugar in my hot stuff so sirachas been gone.

It's a Mexican chili sauce, the glass bottles are excellent to reuse for aftershave, not that I have ever done that myself. In any case I get mine in 1.5L catering sized plastic bottles.

View attachment 1682585
Perfect for decanting Clubman…

Sri Racha sauce IS Thai... the clue is in the name.

That rooster/mexican etc is not...

Sri Racha is as district/county in Thailand where the genuine sauce gets its name from.

"The sauce was first produced in the 1940s by a Thai woman named Thanom Chakkapak in the town of Si Racha (or Sriracha), Thailand.[6][7] The Sriracha sauce itself may be an adaptation of a Cantonese garlic and chili sauce originally from Shunde, China. In the early 1900s, Cantonese immigrants settled in Si Racha, and their garlic and chili sauce was sold in Thailand for decades before the first bottles of Sriraja Panich were produced.[8]"

It goes without saying that there is no looming shortage of chillies in all their wondrous variety here in Thailand :facep:

View attachment 1682893
The shortage of course is associated with a specialized red jalapeno harvested in Mexico for the Huy Fong variety.

Yes - it is an American sauce which David Tran drew inspiration from Asian Sauces. The story behind its success is pretty fascinating in itself…

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
My wife goes through Huy Fong sriracha like water, but it's not the only brand she uses.
We have not noticed a shortage near us yet. The Mrs. always buys a few bottles at a time whenever she gets down to 2 or 3 bottles in standby.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
My wife goes through Huy Fong sriracha like water, but it's not the only brand she uses.
We have not noticed a shortage near us yet. The Mrs. always buys a few bottles at a time whenever she gets down to 2 or 3 bottles in standby.
The GF always keeps a few bottles of the Huy Fong Sriracha around. I prefer a variety of Habanero, Bhut Jolokia and Carolina Reaper, sauces myself.

Until today I didn't even know that Sriracha was made in the US. I always thought it was Thai. I just had to go check the bottle in the fridge to make sure.

I might need to pick up a backup bottle, since I don't think the shortage has hit here yet.

The Huy Fong brand of Sriracha is made in the U.S. The company was started by a Vietnamese immigrant in California.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
We use quite a bit of Indonesian "sambal".... The Huy Fong Fresh Chili Garlic Sauce is very similar to what we great to love there. We have ordered actual Indonesian sambal from online shops... .but the Huy Fong is something we always have around. We can get it at the local Chinese grocery store or on Amazon.

Lol I always thought the cultish following behind this sauce was ridiculous. It's OK and I've always had a bottle, but I find myself reaching for Cholula (original, chili garlic, green pepper) or Tabasco Chipotle far more often. Haven't seen HF Sriracha on the shelves here in a while.

Lol I always thought the cultish following behind this sauce was ridiculous. It's OK and I've always had a bottle, but I find myself reaching for Cholula (original, chili garlic, green pepper) or Tabasco Chipotle far more often. Haven't seen HF Sriracha on the shelves here in a while.
I wouldn't call it cultish - for as long as I can remember, it has always been the sauce of choice here in SoCal for Pho, Banh Mi, Thai food, etc.

I bought a bottle of Dynasty brand sriracha. It’s close in flavor but is lacking sweetness. I’m going to order yellow bird brand. I tried it last year and it was really good.

Trader Joe’s today.
IMG_4773.jpeg

The Huy Fong brand of Sriracha is made in the U.S. The company was started by a Vietnamese immigrant in California.
Yeah, it used to be made in Rosemead, one town over from where I grew up. The moved a few years back to a larger facility. I like it to jazz up bland foods like soups but don't use it directly as a condiment as I prefer other sauces for that purpose.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
As @GeronimoWSB said upthread, he doesn't like sugar in his hot sauce. I agree. I keep Sriracha around for one specific use. It is great in Bechamel when building a Mornay for a cheese souffle. Skip the customary nutmeg. It is ok in pho, but I like Sambal Oelek or Melinda's bhut jolokia better.

Legion

Staff member
Looks like the Huy Fong shortage has reached Australia. I went to buy a bottle yesterday and had no luck.

So, time to do a comparison against this Thai version. Actually, comparing the ingredients list, the Thai one looks a bit more natural.

IMG_7536.jpeg

Sriracha, originally by Huy Fong is now made by multiple people.... The original maker chose NOT to patent his sauce and now anyone can make a red sauce and use that name.......
Now for the shortage: there was a shortage a while ago and that was because the sellers of the red jalapeño peppers in Mexico wanted more money for it and Huy Fong did not want to pay for that.....so they sold the peppers to the other brands.....

It's the result of supply, demand and greed.

And I think the REAL Huy Fong tastes better than the others.....

Sriracha, originally by Huy Fong is now made by multiple people.... The original maker chose NOT to patent his sauce and now anyone can make a red sauce and use that name.......
Now for the shortage: there was a shortage a while ago and that was because the sellers of the red jalapeño peppers in Mexico wanted more money for it and Huy Fong did not want to pay for that.....so they sold the peppers to the other brands.....

It's the result of supply, demand and greed.

And I think the REAL Huy Fong tastes better than the others.....

Actually the Owner of sriracha is a shady guy and tried to short the grower of the peppers millions. Went to a legal battle and Huy Fong lost.

Once the shortage hit I tried Tobascos version. I like their take better. It's a little smokey.

Top Bottom