What's new

Soap Acquisition Thread

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Courtesy of my friend @AnimalCatcher - a vintage Williams mug soap, Williams shave stick, Colgate shave powder, and a roll of eight, two ounce pucks of Colgate barber shave soap, all products which are very hard to find here in the UK. Wow! Thank you Bill!

1702992455549.png

1702992472492.png

1702992489034.png

EclipseRedRing

My final purchase for the year and I am planning to show more restraint next year 🤣 An unused, boxed, Corvette shave soap. There must be an interesting history with this brand as some examples I have are marked Goya and some, like this example, do not feature the Goya name, despite clearly being the same product. The same is true of the Corvette aftershaves and talcum powders. Corvette is an excellent soap but does not seem to get much love on B&B from those who use vintage products.

1703147574760.png

1703147592460.png

Just bought 10 La Toja sticks. I didn't quite know what to make of the scent or the way it lathered, for years, but recently something about it has clicked for me, and now I need all the La Toja.

As @EclipseRedRing ably illustrates, there is something wonderful about being able to stash software which has an effectively indefinite shelf life.

Brass razors, alcoholic aftershaves, hard soaps, stainless blades, boar-bristle brushes. It all keeps basically forever. Take them out of the cupboard 40 years later and they will work. I love that.

I treated myself to a few more soaps for the collection over the holidays. Sitting around doing nothing leads to time spent browsing the shave shops.. then the Boxing Day sales don't help either! 😆

I got two sets from Moon Soaps and two from Noble Otter.

Moon Soaps Old School - Tobacco, Leather, Vetiver, Mahogany, Vanilla
Moon Soaps Warmest Regards - Amber, Tonka, Oud, Rum, Musk
Noble Otter King - Grapefruit, White Flowers, Violet, Rosemary, Guaiac wood, Cedarwood, Amber, Myrrh, Tonka Bean, Vanilla, Musk and Oakmoss.
Noble Otter Ace - Akigalawood, Arnica, Hazelnut, Birch, Musk, Tobacco, Vetiver

I only owned one set from Moon Soaps so I wanted to try some more from them. I really liked the one I have (Amaretto Speciale) although it is a cream/croap.. and from what I gather the two new ones I ordered are more traditional soaps.. a little harder.

I wasn't sure which scents to go for but ended up opting for Old School and Warmest Regards. Both seem to be quite well liked in the shaving community. The only other one I was keen on was Union.. I'll likely pick it up at some stage also. It seems to be their take on classic barbershop.

As for the Noble Otters.. well I'd been eyeing King and Ace ever since they were released. Initially I wasn't too keen on the Card Series but I ended up buying Queen.. then I read about King and Ace and liked the descriptions.. both sounded like something I'd enjoy.. so I figured well it's Christmas so I may as well treat myself to them. 🤭 Then at least I have the King, the Queen and the Ace!

Plus the label art is so cool! I know you can't shave with the label.. but look at them! 😁

proxy.php

proxy.php

Hello folks,

I've been really into these Moon soaps recently. I'm not buying from B&M anymore so I've been trying out a lot of new artisans, I'm very glad as it has brought me to Moon soaps as I think their soaps are some of the best I've used.

Honestly I'm surprised I hadn't heard these soaps mentioned more in the wetshaving community. They work fantastic for me. Performance is second to none IMO.. super slick, full creamy lather.. none of that thin airiness or dissipating as you have, stays good all the way through and glides with the razor like nothing else.

There's not much more I can say about it other than I think its fantastic. I think they're as good if not better than all the bigger names in the artisan shaving category. Scents and performance.. can't go wrong with any of them.

I like their sets so much I've bought almost their entire line in a few weeks. 🤭 I just realised I'm only missing three (Tobacco Flower, Havana and Trade Winds).. and I'm sure I'll probably pick those up sooner or later too.

But anyways, since my previous post in this thread I bought these three along with the matching splashes:

Union - Lemon, soft Sandalwood, Oakmoss, Amber Musk, Bay, and a subtle touch of Nutmeg

proxy.php

Bixby - Black Tea, Tonka, Smoked Vanilla Bean, Black Volcanic Sea Salt, Coastal Driftwood, Black Pepper, Italian Bergamot, Jasmine, Green Apple, and Musk

proxy.php

Astoria - Cypress, Fir, Oakmoss, Balsam, Sage, Eucalyptus, Blue Spruce, White Birch, Mint, and Sweet Osmanthus over an Aquatic Accord

proxy.php

I just used Bixby so far. It's the first new one I've tried. Just shaved with it earlier tonight for the first time. It has a sort of 1930s theme.. in both the label and the concept. It's named after the Bixby bridge (which I had to Google) 🤭

The scent is really lovely.. and quite complex, its nicely blended together almost difficult to identify what is in it. The only other scent in the wetshaving community that it made me think of is Noble Otter's The Noir et Vanille. They're by no means the same however they do share some notes.. specifically tea, jasmine, vanilla, bergamot. Bixby has a lot more notes and a lot going on. TNEV has a prominent strawberry note whereas Bixby lacks the strawberry it has a nice apple note in it's place.

I will just add that Moon Soaps have some of my favourite labels also! I know the label is not big on many people's importance scale but as a soap/splash collector I have interest in and enjoy the whole package. Performance, scent, presentation etc. It's all of interest to me.

They are all unique to the scent in question and often designed with the scent in mind. Most of them have themes from the '20s-'50s. Union for example is based on oil cans from yesteryear. Bixby has a lot of curves and arcs reminiscent of the 1930s and the bridge of it's namesake.

Hope you're all doing well! 😊

Got a package in from Stirling today: Full size Sandpiper with matching aftershave and samples of Baker Street, Stirling Gentleman, and Haverford for me, samples of Queen of Hearts and Duchess for my lovely wife

I just got in my first ever soap order. I got the Barrister & Mann Seville soap and aftershave balm and got samples of Bay Rum, Cheshire, Lavender and Leviathan. Then got a Noble Otter sample of Barrbarr. Looking forward to trying them all out!

EclipseRedRing

Something I have been chasing for a long time, a vintage Faberge Brut soap in the china bowl. I am thrilled.

20240327_123139~2.jpg

I was born, raised, and lived in New Jersey for 40 years, moved to Florida 12 years ago this June. I am a sucker for all things NJ, I actually do miss the Garden State, so when I saw that this soap company was in New Jersey, and then where they are located I bought some samples. Loved the samples so bought 2 full sized and 3 more samples as well as Captains Choice Bay Rum and Barister and Mann Bay Rum samples.

IMG_0256.jpeg

Top Bottom