What's new

Shaving Soap Sticks are the Best.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
We know Arko has reached the Divine level when we talk theology.

There is a Cult of ARKO! should you heed the calling.

Be warned: ARKO! is for everyone, but not everyone is for ARKO!

Be consoled: If you are not for ARKO! because it dries your skin or smells better than you believe you deserve, there are hundreds or even thousands of other soaps and creams and oils available. Some are even slicker and a few may even smell better*.

And to return to the original topic, most soaps will traverse between stick or puck with everyday violence.

I suspect Canada Shaving Soap could be made into a shave stick, too, but it would require Count of Monte Cristo/Cask of Amontillado levels of violence.

* = I’d put Saponifico Varesino in the slicker and better-smelling than ARKO! category for scents I’ve huffed. ARKO!, of course, remains slicker and better smelling than I deserve and doesn’t make my boar brush think it’s Magnum P.I.…

To the topic: I don’t think that sticks are any faster or easier to control. I can get good results from pucks, sticks or creams

My oldest grandson is going to need to start shaving pretty soon, so I recently bought him some supplies. He'll be coming over for 30 minutes of "shaving school/workshop," and I'll let him have whatever razor, soap, AS, etc. he'd like to start with. He's a pretty active kid, so I don't think he'll ever be into meditative, spa type shaving; it will be more, "Let's get this over with so I can dive into my day." I want him to have a positive initial experience, so I've thought about all the pros and cons of various lathering options (I've tried them all over the years) and which would be the easiest way for him to get quality lather. All things considered, my conclusion: face lather with a La Toja stick and a 24mm synthetic brush (even though my personal, every day choice is a puck-loaded synthetic brush, and palm lathering).

My oldest grandson is going to need to start shaving pretty soon, so I recently bought him some supplies. He'll be coming over for 30 minutes of "shaving school/workshop," and I'll let him have whatever razor, soap, AS, etc. he'd like to start with. He's a pretty active kid, so I don't think he'll ever be into meditative, spa type shaving; it will be more, "Let's get this over with so I can dive into my day." I want him to have a positive initial experience, so I've thought about all the pros and cons of various lathering options (I've tried them all over the years) and which would be the easiest way for him to get quality lather. All things considered, my conclusion: face lather with a La Toja stick and a 24mm synthetic brush (even though my personal, every day choice is a puck-loaded synthetic brush, and palm lathering).

Sounds like a good idea to me.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I feel when it comes to making lather you can't beat a shave stick. It's fast and you can control the results more easily than with a puck or a cream. You can create a rich lather with less effort than any other method.

Well, you substituted "you" for "I," but I'm glad you found something you like. I use shave sticks when I travel because they're small. I actually can't control the results more easily than with a puck - every method is equally easy if you experiment enough to find efficiency. But I suspect a lot of shavers have a favorite, and the puck is mine.

One downside of a shave stick I have experienced is that applying pure soap to my face and then building it there is much too harsh for my face. My face is always mildly agitated and rubbery afterwards.

Although it’s more work and harder to be consistent loading a soap and working it in a scuttle, this is the vastly superior method for ME. And painting in on becomes a gentle calming experience.

Shaving is not the Model T Ford. It doesn’t have to be any color as long as it’s black.

One downside of a shave stick I have experienced is that applying pure soap to my face and then building it there is much too harsh for my face. My face is always mildly agitated and rubbery afterwards.

Although it’s more work and harder to be consistent loading a soap and working it in a scuttle, this is the vastly superior method for ME. And painting in on becomes a gentle calming experience.

Shaving is not the Model T Ford. It doesn’t have to be any color as long as it’s black.
I find every method enjoyable; I just enjoy a stick the most.

I have never used a stick so cannot comment if it’s the best, but I can see that if you turn a best soap into a stick, it becomes a best stivk as well.

Paging @Tanuki and @flask28 here, because they practically turned everything into a stick one time or another.

Cheers,

Guido

I have never used a stick so cannot comment if it’s the best, but I can see that if you turn a best soap into a stick, it becomes a best stick as well.

Paging @Tanuki and @flask28 here, because they practically turned everything into a stick one time or another.
Cheers,
Guido
Yes, that is true. I have turned some great soap pucks into sticks, and they come out even better. (I guess because I like sticks more.) Like Cella and Van Der Hagen Luxury soap.
For me, sticks work better all around.

Today I ordered a Bay Rum stick from Mystic Water. I've had it before and it is the best scent I've ever smelled in shaving soap. And the performance is outstanding. A great soap, Mystic Water Bay Rum.

Today I ordered a Bay Rum stick from Mystic Water. I've had it before and it is the best scent I've ever smelled in shaving soap. And the performance is outstanding. A great soap, Mystic Water Bay Rum.

Ooh, that sounds nice!

Ethos is about to release their first tallow-formula stick, in their Bay Rum scent. I have to say I'm nerdly excited about that, even though I already have the jar of Ethos Bay Rum. A stick would be much cooler :)

The F-base Ethos soaps seem firm enough to stickify, but I haven't been brave enough to try it yet. The Stirling and B&M samples are particularly well sized for sticking I've found.

1690341107905.png

I think the only limitation to putting your favorite soap in a roll up container is the soaps consistancy. B&M is about as soft as I'd try in stick format. I think something very soft like MacDuff's could be hard to use because it would be super easy to smear too much on every time. Firmer soaps make the easiest to use sticks - in my limited experience.

@Tanuki is the DIY Stickmaster though.

Last edited:
Ooh, that sounds nice!

Ethos is about to release their first tallow-formula stick, in their Bay Rum scent. I have to say I'm nerdly excited about that, even though I already have the jar of Ethos Bay Rum. A stick would be much cooler :)

The F-base Ethos soaps seem firm enough to stickify, but I haven't been brave enough to try it yet. The Stirling and B&M samples are particularly well sized for sticking I've found.

View attachment 1692075

I think the only limitation to putting your favorite soap in a roll up container is the soaps consistancy. B&M is about as soft as I'd try in stick format. I think something very soft like MacDuff's could be hard to use because it would be super easy to smear too much on every time. Firmer soaps make the easiest to use sticks - in my limited experience.

@Tanuki is the DIY Stickmaster though.
Looks like you have quite a collection already. Good for you.

I think the method of making lather with a stick is more consistent than with a puck. A cream is pretty easy also, but a stick is still the best IMO.

Most any hard shaving soap can be used like a stick by taking it in hand and rubbing it on the wet face to get a thin film of soap. It can be made into a stick, of course, but not strictly necessary.

Tins like these are about 60mm in diameter, so also compact and convenient for traveling:

View attachment 1691830 View attachment 1691852

There are also shaving soap bars such as Ach. Brito Mogno, designed to be used in hand:

View attachment 1691856

There should be some instructions in the Wiki for making your own sticks, too.

This.

Or as I overheard a guy in London’s Hyde Park Speakers’ Corner once: I could not fail to disagree less.:sneaky2:

For me, shaving sticks have their use, but that is mainly travel duty, as I just enjoy the feel of a loaded brush on my facial skin better than rubbing soap into it.

B.

For me, shaving sticks have their use, but that is mainly travel duty, as I just enjoy the feel of a loaded brush on my facial skin better than rubbing soap into it.

B.
When using a stick, you still can use a brush to make the lather. I think that's what most people do.

Top Bottom