What's new

Shaving Soap Sticks are the Best.

Arko is hard to beat for the performance and price. I "did" enjoy a good Williams properly bloomed mug soap little more. Cella is up there as well. I know there are more luxury brands out there you can try if you want to spend the $. Been there, done that.
Haslingers comes in small diameter (60mm) hard pucks. I'm sorry I didn't stick lather with it before "affixing" it into a small tin. I'll bet it would have worked nicely. There stuff is amazing, BTW - at least the Schafmilch variety.

... Think

Well, I've used sticks mainly for traveling. Pretty simple. But I also really like bowl lathering with a cream soap. So what I've done is purchase a small silicone collapsible bowl which packs up flat in my Dopp kit. With my synth travel brush and a small cream tube I'm set and it's a very relaxing way to prep for shaving.

I use a stick mostly, when I am away from home.
I do not rub it on my face, but load the brush directly, which is of course uncomfortable like hell.
I will try the 'bowl fist' method shortly! :thumbup1:

Interesting. I face lather about 95% of the time but every time I use a stick I go "eh, prefer a puck." Have smooshed most of them into tubs. Disclaimer: small sample size, there are many sticks I haven't tried.

Well, I've used sticks mainly for traveling. Pretty simple. But I also really like bowl lathering with a cream soap. So what I've done is purchase a small silicone collapsible bowl which packs up flat in my Dopp kit. With my synth travel brush and a small cream tube I'm set and it's a very relaxing way to prep for shaving.
I have to confess that the Stirling collapsable, slow feed bowl with the nubs has had my attention.

... Thom

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Not a fan of the stick. I grated Speick and Wilkinson Sword into a puck with Williams Mug for a tallow bomb Frankensoap. I kept La Toja intact, but never use it. Never understood the “travel” concept, as a soap puck is small and easy for transport. I do see a lot of love for the sticks here though.

thanks @shave/brush
another one on the list.
how does one make a shave stick?

Most any hard shaving soap can be used like a stick by taking it in hand and rubbing it on the wet face to get a thin film of soap. It can be made into a stick, of course, but not strictly necessary.

Tins like these are about 60mm in diameter, so also compact and convenient for traveling:

1690299660254.png
1690300168832.png

There are also shaving soap bars such as Ach. Brito Mogno, designed to be used in hand:

1690300444860.png

There should be some instructions in the Wiki for making your own sticks, too.

Not a fan of the stick. I grated Speick and Wilkinson Sword into a puck with Williams Mug for a tallow bomb Frankensoap. I kept La Toja intact, but never use it. Never understood the “travel” concept, as a soap puck is small and easy for transport. I do see a lot of love for the sticks here though.
The shape and size favour the stick. These two parameters may be substantial in the travel context.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I don't know what all the fuss is about. I've been at this for all of 3 months, and while I've only used a stick for 4 or 5 sessions (a Spieck), I don't see an inherent inferiority or superiority to any of the 3 primary techniques. I'm fairly agnostic about this.

I will say that for travel, being comfortable with both face lathering from a puck and with stick lathering simplifies matters - not having to be pack a bowl.

Maybe the appeal is about the simplicity?

I find them all too be intuitive and efficient. Am I in the minority, or am I just not splitting hairs enough (pun intended)?

One thing I noticed in my very brief journey (bouncing back and forth between bowl and face lathering) is that I was getting better feedback on moisture in my brush, each time I returned to face lathering.

Perhaps it's this feedback mechanism that's appealing to the staunch advocates of the stick method?

I think I'll pick up another stick or two, having ground my Spieck into a puck.

... Thom

I agree with your theology and reasoning. I kind of look at it like when you go camping and need to build a campfire. It’s fun to learn how to rub two sticks together and make fire and feel the glow of self reliance and accomplishment. But don’t think for a second I’m not smart enough to bring along a ferrous rod, magnesium stick and flint, waterproof matches and a Bic lighter.

Same way with lathering. I love and really enjoy picking up a stick of Arko or La Toja, rubbing it on my face and creating an easy, luscious and copious lather. I even sometimes just take the same almond sized dollop of cream and rub it on my face before taking the brush to it.

And while I enjoy this, I wouldn’t want to start missing the also joy of loading my brush from a hard puck of soap; or building a lather in a warm bowl with cream. I have different razors because I enjoy all of their differences in the way they shave. I have different aftershaves because I enjoy the different scents and feel they bring to the finish of my shave.

Likewise, I enjoy different soaps & creams and the many different ways to lather all of them. For example; I just purchased a couple of bars of Acho Brito Mogno shave soap. Wonderful lather and scent. But the soap is shaped like a regular square bar of bath soap?

There are no directions on the box of how to lather your face with a shave soap that is shaped like a bath soap? So far, I have picked it up and used it as a soap stick by rubbing the edge on my face before lathering with a brush. I have also, picked it up; and just loaded my brush right on top like a puck of soap.

I have even taken it like a bar of bath soap, rolled it between my wet hands to create a lather; and then just rubbed my soapy hands on my face! Then rinsed my hands and lathered up with my brush.

I still can’t decide which way I like best! I think I enjoyed all three ways! I’m just going to have to keep taking turns and rotating how I lather just like when rotating razors, brushes and aftershaves…. :)

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

I also have the collapsible bowl for my Dopp kit. Works great for travel! :)

I still remember the excitement when I rubbed my first shave stick, Palmolive, against my whiskers and started building a lather with a Golden Nib 2-band brush.

It was sheer magic how quickly there was good, slick, cushiony lather on my face. For many years, I would workout at the local Y and use sticks for my morning shave.

Palmolive, Arko, La Toja, the blue Wilkinson were all terrific. Now I just bring a stick for occasional travel.

Top Bottom