What's new

Shaving Soap Sticks are the Best.

For me, shaving sticks have their use, but that is mainly travel duty, as I just enjoy the feel of a loaded brush on my facial skin better than rubbing soap into it.

I totally agree. I use a stick when traveling for the convenience. But I enjoy warm lather whipped up in my shaving bowl too much, to use a stick at home.

When using a stick, you still can use a brush to make the lather. I think that's what most people do.

How else would one create lather??

Didi you miss the bit about the “loaded brush”?
In case you did, we weren’t talking about rubbing soap in one’s face and loading the brush from there.

Maybe I should have made that clearer for the ones who just rub shaving sticks in their faces and shave from there ⁉️, but that is not my style of shaving.

B.

I've used many soaps and creams in tubs, jars, and tubes and have only two sticks: Spieck and LaToja.

They all work well for my face lathers, and I don't find any one to be easier or more convenient to use, nor do I find any one type to be "better" or "best" in use - without venturing into the highly subjective complication of performance while actually shaving (slickness, face-feel, etc...).

I suppose the one benefit is not having to rinse off a jar of soap after loading the brush.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
In the case of tallow Tabac, at least at one time the ingredients list for the puck and the stick were slightly different. To me the stick was marginally softer than the puck and is on the right below.

20211003_070335.jpg

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
To each his own.
Pucks are my preference, but that doesn't make them "the best".
Use of phrases like "in my opinion" and/or "for me" is always good.

As @brucered notes: (9 yrs ago)

I learned about shave sticks on youtube when I first started wet shaving. Both shavenation and geofatboy have great instructional videos on shave sticks and geo has an instructional session on how to make your own shave stick from any soap puck or shave soap you have in your inventory. I would not try to make a stick from a soft cream like TOBS, and most of the cream manufacturers have sticks available in their popular scents. My favorite sticks are still Arko and Derby, since I am one of the few people that love those scents. To me, they are clean and fresh scents which are unlike anything else on the market. When I am in a time crunch, I find that the shave stick will save me time (and I do not have to rinse and dry the bowl).

To make lather?
This topic is supposed to be about shaving sticks and how you like them.

I think I may owe you an apology, I had presumed that everyone would understand the analogy.

So let me explain.

This is a website dedicated to shaving enthusiasts and shaving enthusiasts generally do not take the minimalist “back to bare bones” approach to shaving.
So, there are probably as few members who lather with their bare hands as there are members who use a Bowie knife for shaving.

Of course, your experience could be different and you might know plenty of people who whip up lather with their hands. It just seems that on shaving websites those who lather with their bare hands have been largely silent until now.

B.

Last edited:
I find shave sticks fun and convenient to use. Why don’t I use them more? I think it’s the point that a couple of others made. If I load my brush from a puck then it is already full of lather when I apply it to my face, and the brush feels softer and splays more easily that way. When I use a shave stick my brush isn’t as pliable until I’ve worked the soap on my face for a bit. Small downside of stick lathering and that’s the only negative I see.

Pros and cons, like everything in life.

I find shave sticks fun and convenient to use. Why don’t I use them more? I think it’s the point that a couple of others made. If I load my brush from a puck then it is already full of lather when I apply it to my face, and the brush feels softer and splays more easily that way. When I use a shave stick my brush isn’t as pliable until I’ve worked the soap on my face for a bit. Small downside of stick lathering and that’s the only negative I see.

Pros and cons, like everything in life.
I wet my brush really good then shake it out and add water as needed when I use a stick. It's very soft.

I was outed further up this thread. I converted primarily to sticks after ARKO! and Tabac set the hook. I often make pucks into sticks, even when sticks are available but pucks are cheaper.

Here is the current first line and some miscellaneous hangers on. There is even a tiny stick of TOBS sandalwood cream, still drying out. I don't even like the TOBS Sandalwood scent.
IMG_4953.jpeg

I have traditional sticks packed in the vintage tubes. Palmolive, Wilkinson, Speick. That plastic Williams tube holds an unused South African (?) Williams stick sold in a USA PX.
IMG_4955.jpeg

Then there is the ready reserve in the basement soap (and beer) refrigerator. With extra arko!
IMG_4952.jpeg

I was outed further up this thread. I converted primarily to sticks after ARKO! and Tabac set the hook. I often make pucks into sticks, even when sticks are available but pucks are cheaper.

Here is the current first line and some miscellaneous hangers on. There is even a tiny stick of TOBS sandalwood cream, still drying out. I don't even like the TOBS Sandalwood scent.
View attachment 1692836

I have traditional sticks packed in the vintage tubes. Palmolive, Wilkinson, Speick. That plastic Williams tube holds an unused South African (?) Williams stick sold in a USA PX.
View attachment 1692837

Then there is the ready reserve in the basement soap (and beer) refrigerator. With extra arko!
View attachment 1692838
Very nice collection. You have more than me and I have a lot.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
This is a thread that I started so I am stating my opinion as a fact. You don't have to agree with me.
I have no problem with anyone sharing an opinion, that's what we do here. My suggestion was that your opinion could be shared without the implication that other opinions might be incorrect. I apologize for being a little too sensitive about strongly stated opinions.

It is only recently that I got round to using my stock of shaving sticks. I discovered I liked them but to my dismay found out the Palmolive sticks are no longer made. I have 5 or 6, bought at 50p each. How I wish I'd bought more.

I have one Arko stick. I like that too and you better believe I'll be buying loads of them while they're still available and cheap. And a few other brands too.

I'm set for life with plenty of straight razors, I should apply the same principle to soap too. The way civilisation is heading (in the unholy name of Net Zero) you never know what will be made unavailable next. Apparently farms are non-essential, so...

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Here are some of my collection which are not in storage, some I have multiples. I use them but have not yet used the Dubarry Silkashave, the Yardley Stick In A Glass, or my Williams which is not shown. I probably have around 50 in total. Many of these are from boxed sets including aftershave, brilliantine, and other products.

20230728_080401~2.jpg

20230728_080515~2.jpg

Top Bottom