What's new

Shaving Soap Sticks are the Best.

I feel when it comes to making lather you can't beat a shave stick. It's fast and you can control the results more easily than with a puck or a cream. You can create a rich lather with less effort than any other method.
It did take me a couple of tries to get the hang of it, but it is worth the effort. Fast and easy. I love shave sticks. Who else feels this way?

General_RR.JPG

The way I see it, time to lather is a function of the time you spend whipping up the froth, and not where you do it (bowl, face).

In that sense, I look at shaving sticks as a loading method for face lathering.

I've been going back and forth between bowl and face lathering, currently being on a streak of face lathering using @Marco's method.

As I dial in the initial water content on my brush, it's very quick, although I linger for several minutes - for the fun of it.

I can see appeal of a stick, and experimenting with them. I'm currently having a love affair with Cella Red and Haslingers Shafmilch however, so there isn't much temptation at the moment ;-)

... Thom

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I only face lather with either stick or cream. With stick, I apply the soap to my face and lather away with a damp brush. With cream, I apply a small dollop into the centre of my damp brush, mash the soap into the brush hairs with my fingers and then lather away on my face.

For me, they are both about the same in time, quality and enjoyment. I tend to shave with creams more as they are easier to source for me.

I don't know what all the fuss is about. I've been at this for all of 3 months, and while I've only used a stick for 4 or 5 sessions (a Spieck), I don't see an inherent inferiority or superiority to any of the 3 primary techniques. I'm fairly agnostic about this.

I will say that for travel, being comfortable with both face lathering from a puck and with stick lathering simplifies matters - not having to be pack a bowl.

Maybe the appeal is about the simplicity?

I find them all too be intuitive and efficient. Am I in the minority, or am I just not splitting hairs enough (pun intended)?

One thing I noticed in my very brief journey (bouncing back and forth between bowl and face lathering) is that I was getting better feedback on moisture in my brush, each time I returned to face lathering.

Perhaps it's this feedback mechanism that's appealing to the staunch advocates of the stick method?

I think I'll pick up another stick or two, having ground my Spieck into a puck.

... Thom

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I found that some puck soaps which I had difficulty lathering, worked much better when removed from their bowl or mug and used in the style of a shave stick. I thought for a while about the reason why, and then realised that I do not care, it is enough that my experience was improved.

Arko is hard to beat for the performance and price. I "did" enjoy a good Williams properly bloomed mug soap little more. Cella is up there as well. I know there are more luxury brands out there you can try if you want to spend the $. Been there, done that.

Top Bottom