What's new

Shark DE Blades

WOW!

These things are sharp; very sharp indeed.
A little rougher than a Feather, but not by much. Very nice blades.

I don't have any experience with Feathers, but my one experience so far with the Shark Super Chrome (plastic case) would be exactly as yours, but instead compared to the Super Iridium.

They seem as sharp as the Iridiums, but are less smooth somehow. There was no drag or tugging, so I would not describe the shave as uncomfortable, but slightly different than some of the smoother blades I've tried. I was actually a little surprised by it as I was attracted to its polymer coating thinking it would improve the smoothness.

... I was actually a little surprised by it as I was attracted to its polymer coating thinking it would improve the smoothness.

Most stainless blades have a PTFE (Teflon) coating going all the way back to the first Wilkinson stainless blades in the '60's. Stainless blades come out of the honing process with more microscopic gaps in the edge than carbon steel, and the PTFE coating fills in the gaps, making the blade smoother shaving.

Chromium or Chrome is used by the marketing weasels interchangeably with stainless because it sounds classier. Chromium is the main alloying agent in stainless steel

The stainless steel used in making razor blades is anywhere from 9% to 14% chromium.

Platinum is used to treat and harden the edge, making the blade last longer.

Most stainless blades have a PTFE (Teflon) coating going all the way back to the first Wilkinson stainless blades in the '60's. Stainless blades come out of the honing process with more microscopic gaps in the edge than carbon steel, and the PTFE coating fills in the gaps, making the blade smoother shaving.

Chromium or Chrome is used by the marketing weasels interchangeably with stainless because it sounds classier. Chromium is the main alloying agent in stainless steel

The stainless steel used in making razor blades is anywhere from 9% to 14% chromium.

Platinum is used to treat and harden the edge, making the blade last longer.
Well, thanks for that! I've been interested getting more info on blade coatings but haven't had much luck. When I search online I seem to get a lot of patent information which is a little tedious to go through. I know there is probably some obvious source for this (like a B&B wiki, or something like it), but I haven't found it. Do you know where I might find more info?

I must be lucky. I haven't run across a "Bad" Shark yet, and had very few clunkers in other brands. I did get a pack of ASR Personna blades that seemed pretty rough, and found that corking helped, but they just seemed to be a bad batch.

As to rust on a Shark, of for that matter, any other stainless blade, I've not had a trace of it. I know the water around here is pretty soft, so maybe that plays in to it.

After reading all the input on this thread, I'd say that the Shark is worth trying out in any case. There's a good chance that they may work out for you, and if they don't, they have enough fans here that unloading them on BST shouldn't be a problem.

I love 'em, but maybe that's because I have a face that's fit for Sharks...:wink:

Well I shaved with a "Super Stainless" from topgumby today, and I swear its a better blade than my "Super Chrome", felt slightly smoother to me.

Either that or my technique improved in less than a week since I revisited my old blades :thumbup1:

Just waiting to see how the coating holds up, if no rust, then I'm good :cool:

I wonder if the rust was a reaction between the coating on the Super Chrome and your alcohol... IIRC, the Super Stainless is uncoated, with the Super Chrome being an uncoated stainless steel.

As to the SS being smoother than the SC, who knows? I read one poster here posit that the SS would shave better out the gate, while the SC would not settle down until the coating wore down, and after that should be smoother and longer lasting.

Having shaved with both, I have the slightest preference for the SS.

I also believe that the YMMV factor outweighs whatever theories we dream up to explain it all.

I wonder if the rust was a reaction between the coating on the Super Chrome and your alcohol... IIRC, the Super Stainless is uncoated, with the Super Chrome being an uncoated stainless steel.

As to the SS being smoother than the SC, who knows? I read one poster here posit that the SS would shave better out the gate, while the SC would not settle down until the coating wore down, and after that should be smoother and longer lasting.

Having shaved with both, I have the slightest preference for the SS.

I also believe that the YMMV factor outweighs whatever theories we dream up to explain it all.

Possibly, 2nd use and still no rust and another DFS, I swear the SS are far better. :thumbup1:

Haven't noticed rust on Sharks, but some 7o'clock yellows and Dorco 301's I've used showed some noticeable rust after 4-5 shaves, but nothing to impair shaving quality. No more rust, however, than a Treet Durasharp Classic, which is a carbon steel blade, and not enough to affect shaving.

I've had a bigger problem with the glue/wax spots on blades from the plant in St. Petersburg, Russia. At times they're so big they encroach on the edge area of the blade, stick to the razor, and make it difficult to open the doors.

I like the shark SS blades fine, but find that they begin to pull and tug midway through my 3rd shave. I am currently using a 4 pass shave. I have begun to toss them after two shaves. I can get 4 good shaves out of the Gillette platinum blades I have.

I am glad to see a little love for these blades...I have used them in rotation with 3-4 other blade types, and, I have decided I like them enough to order a reserve supply...I realize there are better blades out there, but perhaps not for the cost.

In my first 100 blade assortment I got a disproportionate number of Sharks. So I'm using Shark Super Chromes exclusively while I figure out the optimum settings for my new Merkur Futur. I've had some blood, but right now I'm blaming that on the razor.

I didn't like the shark in my DE89 but I'll give 'em a whirl in my Fatip and R41 in the near future. I like Racer and Asco which are good all round blades, plus they are so cheap it's a joke!

for me shark is like shaving with sandpaper. dont know if i could do it again only the dorco and merkur were worse with merkur being the worst ever

I just tried Shark my last two shaves. So far not bad. I don't know how long each blade will last. Merkur was the worst blade I ever used.

I just had a superb shave with a Shark in my Fatip Grande. No nicks, cuts or burn just a flawless BSS! I will bulk order them now!
$IMG_3005.JPG

Top Bottom