What's new

shallow vs steep angle

A stupid question - I see a few discussions of steep vs shallow angle. Is this relative to the handle or the blade? This is relevant, because the blade is essentially perpendicular to the handle. I find I get a more efficient shave holding the handle such that the blade is more parallel with my skin. So I guess that means the handle is at a steeper angle, the blade is a more shallow angle.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
A stupid question - I see a few discussions of steep vs shallow angle. Is this relative to the handle or the blade? This is relevant, because the blade is essentially perpendicular to the handle. I find I get a more efficient shave holding the handle such that the blade is more parallel with my skin. So I guess that means the handle is at a steeper angle, the blade is a more shallow angle.
You’re correct — the blade is shallow relative to the face and the handle is more perpendicular to the face — this is a shallow angle.

I much prefer a steep angle of attack, with the handle nearly parallel to my face.

Does this help?
correct-angle.jpg

As I understand it, and based on the angles shown in the illustration, a "steeper" angle would mean an angle greater than 30°/less than 45° while a "shallower" angle would mean an angle less than 30°/greater than 45°.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Does this help?
View attachment 1290149

As I understand it, and based on the angles shown in the illustration, a "steeper" angle would mean an angle greater than 30°/less than 45° while a "shallower" angle would mean an angle less than 30°/greater than 45°.

Steep = Handle more parallel to the face. Ride the bar.

Shallow = Handle more perpendicular to the face. Ride the cap.

A stupid question - I see a few discussions of steep vs shallow angle. Is this relative to the handle or the blade?
Not a stupid question because some describe it differently and you cannot be sure what they are saying. It is the blade that does the cutting so it should be described as blade angle relative to the face. The neutral or design angle is where cap and guard are in contact with the skin and that is around 30 degrees blade angle.
This is a useful illustration and commentary; Blade Angle | Badger & Blade

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
The angle can change depending on the curve of the razor head, the more the curved head the steeper the angle in my opinion.
One way to find where to start in either shallow or steep is the photo showing how to find that sweet spot by audio feedback.
Razor angle 2.jpg
blade-angle (2).jpg

(L) Razorock Wunderbar slant-needs a steeper angle I found.....Razorock GC.84 can shave either steep or shallow.
Razor cap designs..jpg

Have some great shaves!

This illustration from the Wiki (Safety Razor Parameters) should help:

1625160901512.png

Safety Razors have "guards" (because they're safety razors). The reason for the guard is to protect the skin from the blade and to smooth/stretch it in front of the blade.

Gillette-Tech-Box-Instructions.jpg

"Riding the cap" pushes the blade into the bunched up skin (which often causes irritation [and slices off irregularities like old-scars/moles/spots/etc]).

Some cap riders say "riding the guard" causes the blade to scrape rather than cut. This isn't true as the difference in angle between guard-riding and cap-riding is only a few degrees (with the exception of certain razors [notably the iKon Tek]).

That's my two cents.:biggrin: YMMV.

I think it is important to map your beard growth. When i shave with the grain i tend to have a steeper angle relative to the skin, but since my hair grows more parallel to the skin the angle of attack relative to the hair might be quite shallow. Going against the grain the opposite will be more comfortable for me. I then tend to ride the cap as much as possible. As peoples hair grow different, everyone needs to find the best approach for their face, adapting to each razor.
I also think it is important to distinguish between razors with positive blade exposure and those with negative or neutral exposure. With milder razors you just end up with a less efficient cut, but more efficient razors can leave you with cuts and irritation.
So if you say you like a steep or shallow angle, it would be useful to know which razor you are using etc. For me my approach varies during the shave.

Ive always been a fan of riding the cap.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Does this help?
View attachment 1290149

Sorry, but that is clear as mud to me! Actually gave me a headache trying to figure it out! Looks like a Ripley's Believe it or Not optical illusion to my dyslexic brane!

Sorry, but that is clear as mud to me! Actually gave me a headache trying to figure it out! Looks like a Ripley's Believe it or Not optical illusion to my dyslexic brane!
It took me a while, too, but I believe the "less than 30°/greater than 45°" means "less than 30° in the blue part and greater than 45° in the pink part of the picture."

Top Bottom