What's new

Steep vs Shallow vs Neutral Shaving Angle

Yep, as many has mentioned, depends on you, the force, the blade and the razor.
FORCE.png

Eliminate evil stubble trouble!

BFX

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I consider the cap and comb to be like the stabilisers (training wheels) on a kid's bike. They're there if I need them, but my job is to try to stay balanced between them.

What matters most is the blade stays at skin level, and relying on those stabilisers too much, can cause the blade to inadvertently lift. That can lead to tugging, inflammation at the root, hair fractures, and ingrown hairs.

I consider the cap and comb to be like the stabilisers (training wheels) on a kid's bike. They're there if I need them, but my job is to try to stay balanced between them.

What matters most is the blade stays at skin level, and relying on those stabilisers too much, can cause the blade to inadvertently lift. That can lead to tugging, inflammation at the root, hair fractures, and ingrown hairs.
Al I would also add that many shavers coming from carts are in fact pressure users and cap riding is an easy transition. Steep shaving does require better technique and a softer touch. Hard to accomplish with bad habits. Riding the cap is a bad habit all though can be very useful in some buffing clean up strokes.

Al I would also add that many shavers coming from carts are in fact pressure users and cap riding is an easy transition. Steep shaving does require better technique and a softer touch. Hard to accomplish with bad habits. Riding the cap is a bad habit all though can be very useful in some buffing clean up strokes.
How do you figure it's bad technique?

I'm don't think there's a difference in the amount of care required between shallow or steep angles.
With a shallow angle, one has to pay slightly more attention to what's being shaven so as not to slice something off (including skin) as the guard isn't as engaged as it would be with a neutral or steep angle.
With a steep angle, one needs to take greater care when putting the razor to the face so as not to cut skin.
In either case it's desirable to prevent the razor from digging into the skin.
This mostly matters with positive exposure razors, though.

There are only two people I've personally watched make a transition from carts, but they would be using a steep angle, because they're used to having the handle fairly close to the skin.
Even if they'd be instructed to try a shallow angle, they'd just slacken their hand and move to a steep angle when their attention would lapse.
Even when watching YouTubers, though they're hardly a representative sample, they'd often do the same thing.

How much of an random assumption on your part is saying this the following?
...I would also add that many shavers coming from carts are in fact pressure users and cap riding is an easy transition...

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I believe this can only be solved with steep and shallow angle shavers throwing razors at each other till the infidels are death.
Wars have been fought for worse reasons than this.
war GIF

I think it depends on razor geometry, though I habitually always try to shave steep. I usually prefer a scraping type of shave.

I

Island

Cutting is cleaner and better than scraping. Dulling the blade is most common with pressure not in line with the edge (like scraping) according to a MIT article. That implies shallow angles are usually better than steep. But I've found that the best angle is very dependent on razor geometry, so just see what works for you with your particular razor.

How do you figure it's bad technique?

I'm don't think there's a difference in the amount of care required between shallow or steep angles.
With a shallow angle, one has to pay slightly more attention to what's being shaven so as not to slice something off (including skin) as the guard isn't as engaged as it would be with a neutral or steep angle.
With a steep angle, one needs to take greater care when putting the razor to the face so as not to cut skin.
In either case it's desirable to prevent the razor from digging into the skin.
This mostly matters with positive exposure razors, though.

There are only two people I've personally watched make a transition from carts, but they would be using a steep angle, because they're used to having the handle fairly close to the skin.
Even if they'd be instructed to try a shallow angle, they'd just slacken their hand and move to a steep angle when their attention would lapse.
Even when watching YouTubers, though they're hardly a representative sample, they'd often do the same thing.

How much of a random assumption on your part is saying this the following?
For the many years that I used carts there wasn’t any major improvement in use as to technique and there wasn’t much in adjustment as to soft touch. Those two adjustments are critical in DE shaving. It took me in excess of three years to accomplish both in DE shaving. My shaves are exquisite and my skin is much healthier. My start in DE shaving was riding the cap in the early going because of the cart dynamics. That is what my comment was based on. My personal experience. It may well be different for other shavers who can adapt easier or quicker.

To me, this is simple. Take away the razor, the handle, the safety bar, the top cap, everything.

Now imagine just taking a DE blade up to your face to shave with. At what angle would you hold the blade?

I am telling you that nobody would hold the blade pointing at their skin. There would be zero steep angle shavers. Everybody would be a shallow angle shaver. Because that's the way a blade is designed to be used.

Yes, adding the razor changes things somewhat. Yes, the safety bar introduces a new variable. But I would venture to guess that all these guys who say they are steep angle shavers, when it comes right down to it, don't actually have the blade edge at anywhere near the angle they are imagining in their minds. Otherwise the blade would just scrape the skin.

Watch a straight razor shaver who really knows what he is doing and get back to me about steep versus shallow.
I agree that blade angle (not handle angle) is important.

However, I think that the design of the razor to accommodate a shallow angle on the blade while allowing you to ride the safety bar is something that I prefer.

I agree with others that I feel the safety bar keeps my skin pulled tight, in front of the cutting edge of the blade, while riding the cap loosens the skin -- pushing it up into the blade. The later causes irritation for me. Perhaps others find this gives them a closer shave, which also makes sense to me.

As for a natural angle, this does seem like the most efficient angle to me, which depending on the razor (again, how the blade is positioned / bent) can cause some trouble.

Top Bottom