What's new

Seriously... who can you talk to?

i guess i'm pretty lucky. my dad and brother are also wet shavers and in the last year i've converted 3 of my friends. when it comes to serious discussion on the subject i have to turn to my friends here at b&b.

I've also tried discussing it with friends, but often to no avail. I even went so far as to gift four of the most important men in my life (my groomsmen) with a badger brush and a tub of St. James. So far I haven't heard a peep from any of them as to how things are going.

As for my wife, here's a little anecdote about that. Last night, I went to the cigar shop to hang out, smoke a cigar, and listen in on the taping of a podcast. When I got home that night, she had a friend over who likes to tease me at any chance she gets about me being...unique. Well, last night, they had a liquor consultant on the show, so my wife asked me if I asked had asked him about white wine. I said no and she seemed a bit put off, so I came back with, "Hon, it's a bunch of guys, sitting around, smoking cigars, and talking about manly stuff..." Out of nowhere, here friend goes, "Oh! So you guys must talk about shaving, too!"

As it turns out, while I was gone, my wife pulled out all my gear and they had a pretty good laugh at my expense.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Oh, man, just listen to us! Take this out of context, remove the shaving-specific references, and we must seem like a bunch of very odd fish indeed. Heck, maybe we ARE very odd fish.

This reminds me of "Yes Minister", where Bernard would make an observation about this being "one of those irregular Latin verbs: I'm unique, you're eccentric, and he's strange."

I think they all get a good laugh at our expense from time to time.

I'll second that! I toook another angle with my gal. I planted the idea in her head that she could possibly make some shave creams/soaps. She, being the kind of person she is, started looking into it and took a big interest in getting the supplies together to start making bath soaps which is a star!

Besides these boards the only other person that I can have a good conversation about wet-shaving with is the owner of the shop where I get my hair cut as they also do "straight" shaves. And he is into the "Gentlemanly Arts". My dad thought it was funny that I "reverted" to DE and straight shaving and now just thinks that I am strange for my collection of stuff. Though his older brother (my uncle, duh!) has used a bowl and brush since 1950. Even though she likes the Mama Bear shave stick I bought her, and some of my creams, my wife no longer politely puts up with my obsession, she simply tolerates it. :rolleyes:

I am working on my brother-in-law since he enjoys a barber shave, and I bought him one for his recent birthday and he wants me to go with him - so there is hope.

Oh, and my 4 year old loves my shave gear and can't wait to shave himself, he for some reason really covets my 1940's British Rocket. I gave him a travel DE (sans-blade) to play with in the bath and my 1 year old loves the feeling of the badger brush on his face - got to get them while they are young. :wink:

Every single person that Ive brought up DE shaving has said, "Why would you do that?". I usually confess that Im cheap and that DE shaving eliminates ingrown hairs, for me.
Then they walk off and shake their heads.

Sooooo, you B & B folks are my sole shaving pals.

My wife tolerates my little obsession....she say's, "I am SO glad you have a harmless hobby....."
hump. She's never tried shaving with a SLANT !!!!

dwight

I wouldn't mention it to anyone really. The few times I have people just don't get it and it opens up a whole new can of worms..... Thank goodness for my friends at B&B who "get it."

On the other hand, there are stranger "hobbies" to explain to co-workers, friends, family, etc....

The Famous Flashlight Collection comes to mind.... (This is NOT my collection... but you see the bizarre reaction I have to IT...Must be similar to when people find out how we properly shave)

He must be afraid of the dark :scared:

B&B has this place... it is called a chat room... I talk about shaving there sometimes... sadly enough most of the time I am in there all on my own...

Interesting post. In all honesty, I don't look at this as a hobby, per se. Nor do I try to convert. I am happy to divulge if someone asks me about it, but few do. I get good comments on my grooming from SWMBO, and that is good enough for me. I posted a shave blog on my blog because I had received a couple of questions from family and friends that i figured I would just "tell all" with. My brother has a beard these days, so outside of the neck, he has little use for razors and shaving. He would be about the only person that I would push this on, because his shaving hell was mine, until I found this place. I am more of a "make what you do daily, a simple pleasure" type shaver, rather than an enthusiast.

I have a couple of razors and a couple of brushes. one set is nice, the other is cheap. I have a half dozen soaps and creams, a small bowl and a mug and I went out and bought a dozen white face cloths that i use just for shaving. Everything I have fits on the top shelf of a small "bathroom cart", and I just threw a party at my house, and nobody asked about it, so it must have been inconspicuous enough.

The reason that I like it around here is the gentlemanly (ok, and "gentlewomanly":biggrin: ) aspect of the site, an interest in a few new products (especially soaps and creams) and the opportunities to further enhance the shave experience. I like the barbershop. I enjoy posting help to newbs, because I was one. Future plans shaving wise is to buy a slant and more derby's. Maybe a cream and a puck of soap.

Other than the forums, I have nobody to confide in. My business partner, a woman, blathers on incessantly about facials, clothing, cleansing, and lord knows what other forms of personal beautification, but at the first mention of my shaving interest she rolls her eyes and walks away. Friends "just don't get it," and my family wrote me off as insane months ago...

I've converted one co-worker, and I also have a co-worker who is a straight razor fanatic. However, they have NO interest in the forums. Pity...

Randy

The one guy I've tried to convert thinks DE shaving is from the stone age, and that I should give up all techological advances from which I've benefited. i.e. it's the same thing, according to him. He's a dyed in the wool cartridge razor user.

And they say I have shaving issues? I think it's the other way around. :biggrin:

I know, I know, it's a YMMV thing. and the ppl from the dark side are doing us a favor by keeping prices lower across the board on the things we like to buy. :001_smile

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I almost confided in my wife that I was a little bummed by Leisureguy's departure. Now I am glad I kept it to myself, she thinks I am obsessed.

Had a shaving discussion in the office today

56 year old colleague who I introduced to the delights of Proraso pre/post (which he still uses) had bought himself a Fusion power

Me: How much did that cost? Do you know how much the blades cost?

Him: I was sick of using disposables:mad2:

Me: You'll get ingrown hairs............................... I don't

33 year old colleague: Oh it's Mr cut throat!!!!

Me: I don't use a cut throat but I can still buy 100 blades for the price of 4 Fusion blades and have no ingrowns.

45 year old colleague: What about Mach 3s?

Me: I only shave my head with a Mach 3

45yoc: Isn't that dangerous?

Me: Only if you're drunk

The lunatics have taken over the asylum

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Other than the forums, I have nobody to confide in. My business partner, a woman, blathers on incessantly about facials, clothing, cleansing, and lord knows what other forms of personal beautification, but at the first mention of my shaving interest she rolls her eyes and walks away. Friends "just don't get it," and my family wrote me off as insane months ago...

Well, at least you have an easy way of getting her to stop the blathering and go away! :lol:

Top Bottom