What's new

Wet shaving is for losers

yup,call me a loser.i lost the high cost of carts,and cold goo.not a bad loss.welcome to the loser squad red.youll be right at home.now you need to start trying out different razors,then soaps and brushes and.......

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Modern wet shaving is a return to the wisdom of our Fathers and Grandfathers, modern wet shaving is a return to refined manners and to an elegant way to behave, modern wet shaving is for fine Gentlemen who believe in timeless traditions. My warmest welcome to B&B, Red.

Welcome to B&B.
There is definitely a learning curve(which draws a little blood), but if you stick to the wiki, you won't have a problem.
Your starting equipment is fine(with the exception of Tabac same as mine), but as Zed said, I would recommend a tub or two of Proraso creams(my favourites are blue and green), if nothing else for the sake of variety. Plus they will last you for months.
Another thing is, all your points are true for the total beginner. In a couple months' time, you will have a somewhat nice technique that will get you great shaves.
Lastly, don't go off chasing the closest shave from the get go. Focus on getting comfortable and presentable shaves, and as your technique develops, you will get closer shaves.

Hello AvariCe! Thanks for the advice! One question...you say my starter's kit is fine with the exception of the Tabac soap. Is that a bad choice? I should go with the Proraso instead?

Hello AvariCe! Thanks for the advice! One question...you say my starter's kit is fine with the exception of the Tabac soap. Is that a bad choice? I should go with the Proraso instead?

Forgive me for speaking for the poster, but I interpret this as his kit is identical with the exception of the soap (Tabac). Tabac gets a lot of love around here and I think it is worth a shot. Tabac is rarely criticized for performance but gets a few knocks for scent.

Forgive me for speaking for the poster, but I interpret this as his kit is identical with the exception of the soap (Tabac). Tabac gets a lot of love around here and I think it is worth a shot. Tabac is rarely criticized for performance but gets a few knocks for scent.

Ohhhh, okay! Thanks August!

Welcome to the B & B forum Red! Lots of shavers here with years of experience they are willing to share. I know you will enjoy the free exchange of information!

As far as starting out goes, you've got a great list of products as your starting point. I started with an EJ... I never use it anymore and have 6 other razors now, but I would not swap out that EJ as my starter razor -- it was perfect for that, and could very well be the only razor you ever need.

Soaps... there's a million of them out there, along with a billion people using them, and a trillion of those user's opinions. Tabac is a fine starting point, and I'd strongly advise you not to overwhelm yourself with too many options until your technique and overall routine is solidified and familiar. Don't enter the rabbit hole of soaps until you're ready for it, because it can actually stunt the development of your technique if you're changing too many products at once, especially early on.

I would advise you to pick up a styptic pen and/or an alum block. I personally think an alum block has a place in every shave den.

Last edited:
As far as starting out goes, you've got a great list of products as your starting point. I started with an EJ... I never use it anymore and have 6 other razors now, but I would not swap out that EJ as my starter razor -- it was perfect for that, and could very well be the only razor you ever need.

Soaps... there's a million of them out there, along with a billion people using them, and a trillion of those user's opinions. Tabac is a fine starting point, and I'd strongly advise you not to overwhelm yourself with too many options until your technique and overall routine is solidified and familiar. Don't enter the rabbit hole of soaps until you're ready for it, because it can actually stunt the development of your technique if you're changing too many products at once, especially early on.

I would advise you to pick up a styptic pen and/or an alum block. I personally think an alum block has a place in every shave den.

Thanks, Chariot! I was actually thinking about picking up an alum block, so I think I'll definitely have to do it now. I stopped by West Coast Shaving yesterday after work so I could go through the soaps and see which one I actually liked. For now I've decided to instead start out with the Proraso Green Tea and Oat, but I REALLY liked the scent of TOBS Jermyn Street, so I think I'll eventually pick that one up once I get the hang of wet shaving.

By the way...WCS is a GREAT store. Anyone in the area should definitely check it out. I'll be sure to do a write-up and share my first experience with them!

You absolutely nailed it :001_smile

Top Bottom