What's new

Seriously... who can you talk to?

One of my friends at least pretended to find it interesting...I have the wife using a blue-tipped SS and a brush...although she likes the MWF, she really doesn't care very much about it. I think for her it was the price of cartridges that sent her over to the DE side.

I was actually quite disappointed in one of my friends from work...he's quite the "metro" kind of guy, and we shared a hotel room at a conference...I had all of my shave stuff out (he's heard me mention it a bit...especially when I first started), but he didn't even ask a question about it...poor sucker.

lol - threw it "out there" during a golf match w/a couple of "hip" buddies - no interest yet but they are the type that once shown the light might convert

i do have a couple of nephews attending purdue at the moment - maybe i will try and convert them after they get out of school as i'm not sure how well it would go over at the frat house

at least the wife has stopped making fun of me for visiting this site during the evenings - probably due to the fact that i bought her some c porto soap & lotion along w/half of the penhaligon's trial set (10) - "momma ain't happy nobody happy"

Slant-Fan, of course. Would you believe that one of the other guys at the tattoo shop actually said he thought we were gay, what with our discussing razors, blades, soaps, creams, and the like!

Aside from B&B and perhaps other wet-shaving boards, who can you really talk to about this... this... Sicilian thing. No, no, uh, I mean't hobby, without them thinking you are a complete loon. SWMBO tolerates it as she has been through the compact disc (goes back to when we were dating) clothes, shoes, wine, scotch and yes even on-line poker obsessions. It seems that even the people that I have "enlightened" :rolleyes: to the ways of the badger and blade consider it a passing topic in conversation. Since we can't all be glued to the computer (except Ouch :lol: ) all the time, who do you talk to about this wonderful obsession, if I may use the term.

Other then my boys no one(except Lynn but introduced from here we live very close).

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
One of my friends at least pretended to find it interesting...I have the wife using a blue-tipped SS and a brush...although she likes the MWF, she really doesn't care very much about it. I think for her it was the price of cartridges that sent her over to the DE side.

I was actually quite disappointed in one of my friends from work...he's quite the "metro" kind of guy, and we shared a hotel room at a conference...I had all of my shave stuff out (he's heard me mention it a bit...especially when I first started), but he didn't even ask a question about it...poor sucker.

He may have been imtimidated.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I wouldn't mention it to anyone really. The few times I have people just don't get it and it opens up a whole new can of worms..... Thank goodness for my friends at B&B who "get it."

On the other hand, there are stranger "hobbies" to explain to co-workers, friends, family, etc....

The Famous Flashlight Collection comes to mind.... (This is NOT my collection... but you see the bizarre reaction I have to IT...Must be similar to when people find out how we properly shave)

Huge flashlite collection pic

Wowzers! Ok, I have to admit even that looks a little crazy to me! However, that Inspector Gadget one I can see owning!

My girlfriend thinks my shaving stuff is cute, and giggles whenever she sees me on B&B. No one else has really made much of a connection. One of my friend's asked me what my DE was when he used my bathroom a few months back. After I explained to him what is was and why I had it, he gave it about 2 seconds of thought, said "cool", and changed the subject.

I know my brothers wouldn't be into it. They are both kind of minimalists, for them good enough is just that. It wouldn't matter if wet-shaving gave them better shaves or not. If they couldn't save a lot of money(this is probable I guess)or do it in half the time, they wouldn't be interested. And one of them has a pretty good sized gotee year round.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I wouldn't mention it to anyone really. The few times I have people just don't get it and it opens up a whole new can of worms..... Thank goodness for my friends at B&B who "get it."

On the other hand, there are stranger "hobbies" to explain to co-workers, friends, family, etc....

The Famous Flashlight Collection comes to mind.... (This is NOT my collection... but you see the bizarre reaction I have to IT...Must be similar to when people find out how we properly shave)

Why, that's not a flashlight collection. Hardly a keeper in the bunch. :lol:

I have friends who can't believe straight razors still exist. That pretty well sums it up for me. Mrs. T uses my old Mach 3, no cream, just water. I do not understand that woman sometimes.

My wife pretends to care, but it's the same as when she talks to me about shoes or clothes....in one ear and out the other. So I talk to myself and talk here.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"

That flashlight on the lower right hand corner, 2nd one from the bottom is a beauty:drool: :wink:

My wife's cousin and his wife stopped just last week on their way through town. Spent the night. We have one bath right now as the master bath is being remodled. There are four straight razors, one DE and two brushes on the counter in plain view. Not a word was mentioned.

I'm still in the closet when it comes to wetshaving - literally. (almost) All the stuff goes in the closet when we have guests. If someone was to see and inquire, my beloved would light up at the excuse to open up. My friends and relations think I'm weird enough. I got mostly long haired hippy friends - they just wouldn't get it. But I'm cool with that. I talk music with musicians, beer with beer geeks, kids with other parents and shaving with the few, the proud, found herein.

i think you have to know how to approach it- start by saying it saves money- then you could mention that its no different than a getting a shoe shine, drinking a nice glass of wine, or owning a pocket watch. refined things that represent taking care of yourself and enjoying little things in life-:biggrin:

Other than you gents, it's my boys who are interested in talking about it.

My wife has no problem with my shaving obsession and has no problem reaping the benefits of my smooth face. :biggrin:

Of course she's an avid knitter and spins her own yarn so I think we're even! :sneaky2:

My 13 year-old has just started shaving and loves getting my hand-me-down creams and AS lotions.

Everybody I know gets why I use a Straight or DE, I have always been a little 'nucking futs' in their opinion. You say the 'guys' in the tattoo parlor think we're 'gay'? I wonder who's compensating for something. haha

Other than you gents, it's my boys who are interested in talking about it.

My wife has no problem with my shaving obsession and has no problem reaping the benefits of my smooth face. :biggrin:

Of course she's an avid knitter and spins her own yarn so I think we're even! :sneaky2:

My 13 year-old has just started shaving and loves getting my hand-me-down creams and AS lotions.

my wife is also a spinner and knitter...but she still doesn't get the shaving obsession

Colleagues, coworkers, friends, neighbors --all listen politely but show no interest.

OTOH, I have a 16yo nephew who is just starting to shave and is quite interested in wet shaving. I'm in the process of getting a good kit together for him, and he's looking forward to traditional shaving with a DE. I got him Leisureguy's Gourmet Shaving book as a gift. I guess you have to get'em young before Gillette marketing poisons them. Anyway, Leisureguy was quite gracious in addressing and autographing a copy of his book for him. Thanks, Mike.

Anyhow, for now I guess you guys are it, so you'll just have to put up with me.

-- John Gehman

My wife finds the shaving obsession rather odd. She hasn't actually said that, but I can tell. So I don't bring it up too often.

But my 9-year-old son is quite interested in it. He likes most of the stuff I do. Thank God for kids.

Mom is willing to listen to me talking about shaving, and was able to tell me about watching her grandfather shave with a straight razor.

Top Bottom