Butterscotch Traveler (no model number)
Ferrule ID: 15.2mm
Handle height: 29mm
Total Height: 72mm
Base diameter: 21.7mm
Handle: Celluloid
Hair: Badger
Weight: 15g

Thank You for posting the link. I will check it out.
Are you a Ham?

73de w6pea
You're welcome, and yes sir, been licensed 48 years at this point - picked up the 6 when we lived in Fresno back in the early 80's and decided I liked it!

All I can say is wow. I just went to the link you posted. Thanks again. How do I join the Rubberset group?
Well, there's a Rubberset 400 club and you need one of those <grin> Then there's another recent thread in the Shaving Brushes sub-forum that you could check out.

Let me apologize for the lousy pics right up front - new equipment is on the way so maybe I'll stop embarrassing myself on this forum full of professional photogs <LOL>

That said, here is a Rubberset 1000 that I've been working on. Per our resident Rubberset expert (bladeshark), the model number was actually the selling price in its day - so this would have been one expensive brush.

This is the listing photo:
proxy.php

And this is what it looks like at the moment:
$100_1632.jpg
$100_1630.jpg

Handle height: 44.2mm
Knot opening: 19.2mm
Handle weight: 30g

I didn't bother to weigh it or measure it with the original knot because it would not have been representative of the brush when it left the factory. Two things of note - it has the metal ring that every Rubberset I have restored has had, but it is at least double the depth of any I have seen to day, and; the handle isn't hollow, but is filled with a material that I can best describe as the same clay used in clay flower pots. Really dulled a drill bit...<LOL>

I chose copper model paint because I think that really compliments the butterscotch, but I have no idea what knot I'll put in - it'll have to be an undersized 18mm knot, for sure, to accommodate the typical 2+mm spread above the plug.

Help me to identify this Rubberset brush, please

I inherited this brush. Here's a full side shot:

... and here's a close-up of the markings on the bottom:

(Sorry about the poor photography -- it's a new digital camera and I haven't figured it all out yet)

The bottom reads: "Sterilized. Rubberset Trade Mark. Made In Canada". The Knot glue seems to be solid at least a half inch up the bristles. I mean the knot is rock-solid for the first half inch about the handle.

I originally posted this in
Forum > General Shaving Talk > Shaving Brushes > “Help me to identify this Rubberset brush, please”.
In that post, someone suggested that I check out http://home.comcast.net/~bladeshark1/index.html "Old School Shaving Brushes". I did and this model does not show up.

To help identify the brush, I measured the handle and knot. The bristles have been cut by the previous owner, so we don't know how long they originally were.
Height of handle = 42 mm
Width of knot at handle= 24 mm

Would you all please help identify the model, what the original knot would have been, and express an opinion on whether it seems worth the cost to have it done? Also whether it should be re-done in boar, badger, or synthetic?
Also, are there any B&B members that do re-knotting that you'd recommend?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice brush cmbcne. Unfortunately the Rubberset branch in Canada rarely put model numbers on their brushes. I've seen no old Canadian Rubberset ads that would give more information such as knot, loft, manufacture date, etc.

As you already know, it is a |Canadian Rubberset with no markings to designate model number. It looks to be a dyed boar and the knot looks to be in very good condition. I have quite a few Canadian Rubbersets and most of them do not have model numbers. I have one that I reknotted with a Silvertip knot and it is one of my favorites. I have two others, 1 Pure Badger, and 1 Boar that are still Vintage and after cleaning them I use them regularly. I really like the beehive type lines on the bottom of the handle. It is now your choice to choose to restore or use as is. Great find, congratulations.

Thanks. BladeShark. I have also checked your web site and it doesn't seem to have this model represented. Feel free to snag the photo if you want to add it as "unknown".

It looks to be a dyed boar and the knot looks to be in very good condition.

Hi, Roderick.

Actually, in my original post, I said "The knot glue seems to be solid at least a half inch up the bristles. I mean the knot is rock-solid for the first half inch about the handle." Also the photograph doesn't show it, but the previous owner (my late Father-In-Law) seems to have taken scissors to the tips -- they're all uneven. I couldn't shave with this brush if I wanted to.

I have a synthetic brush on order from Whipped Dog. If it's any good, I might consider one of his synthetic knots in this brush. What do you think?

My bad, I did read that. From other boar brushes of that era, the bristles seem to get brittle and break unevenly form the ends. I have a NIB Simms Brush that I used, but found it did not make great lather and was more like a Wilkinson Brush, which has clipped ends. Yours then does need a reknot, I would find which type of brush you like best and purchase a knot of that type. I have brushes in all 4 types, Badger, Boar, Horse and Synthetic, and about 12 brushes to restore, and I have not decided what knots to use yet. Good luck with the restore. Keep us updated.

Yours then does need a re-knot, I would find which type of brush you like best and purchase a knot of that type. I have brushes in all 4 types, Badger, Boar, Horse and Synthetic
I have Boars, Badgers (Best, Pure, and Silvertip), Horse, and a synthetic on order, so your advice is sound -- try all four types imagining it being in that handle and then decide.
The advice I've received in other threads seem to point to TGN as a source for badger. Another thread here at B&B (Synthetic Mega Review, or something like that) points to Whipped Dog as a "best overall" for synthetic. I don't think I'd go with horse, so that leaves me looking for a source for boar. Any ideas?

Hi, Roderick.

Actually, in my original post, I said "The knot glue seems to be solid at least a half inch up the bristles. I mean the knot is rock-solid for the first half inch about the handle." Also the photograph doesn't show it, but the previous owner (my late Father-In-Law) seems to have taken scissors to the tips -- they're all uneven. I couldn't shave with this brush if I wanted to.

I have a synthetic brush on order from Whipped Dog. If it's any good, I might consider one of his synthetic knots in this brush. What do you think?
Since you couldn't use the brush "as is", you can try to recover the "break" in it by rubbing it gently and evenly (while wet) on some sandpaper (about 300 grit).

Hi Winblows.
The glue extends up from the handle for at least a half inch up the centre of the knot. It's SOLID; it has the "backbone" of a 100 year old oak tree. No amount of tweaking or repair work is going to fix it.
Thanks for the reply, though. Can you recomend a source for an 18mm boar knot?

Top Bottom