What's new

What should I do with this old shaving brush?

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
I acquired an old Rubberset shaving brush that's in pretty rough shape. It's obviously unusable for shaving in it's current state, but can it be restored or is it too far gone? Does it have any collector value? I'm about to pitch it in the trash but thought I would ask the experts here before I do something I might regret later.

20230903_082927~2.jpg

It's about 4 3/8" tall from base of handle to tip of bristles, but I don't know what model number it is.

Mods, please move this post to appropriate thread if there is a better place for it like:
I couldn't figure out how to do this myself and didn't want to 'double-post'.

Thanks for your opinions or suggestions.

Last edited:
I don't know that it can be saved, and have never done a restoration. The options appear to be:

Remove the knot and plastic collar, epoxy (?) the broken collar, sand and repaint the handle, reassemble with a new knot. Sounds simple, right? I'm not up to the task, maybe you are...or...

...display it on a shelf as a well-used survivor of shaving past.

Not sure if it has worth to a collector, though we are not allowed to appraise value on the forums, in dollar amounts.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I acquired an old Rubberset shaving brush that's in pretty rough shape. It's obviously unusable for shaving in it's current state, but can it be restored or is it too far gone? Does it have any collector value? I'm about to pitch it in the trash but thought I would ask the experts here before I do something I might regret later.

View attachment 1711972

It's about 4 3/8" tall from base of handle to tip of bristles, but I don't know what model number it is.

Mods, please move this post to appropriate thread if there is a better place for it like:
I couldn't figure out how to do this myself and didn't want to 'double-post'.

Thanks for your opinions or suggestions.
I dust my keyboard with one.

Reactions: abj
Top Bottom