What's new

Roughest (Least Smooth) Razors In Your Experience?

That's odd, they did not stealthily alter specs and stuff on their SS/Ti models as far as I know. They did stealthily change a lot about the Rocca production method, but claimed not never have altered the design/geometry.

But seems you can compare Ti and SS versions of the R41 and that's an skin-witness (SCNR) report. I am not much of a fan of my Rex Envoy and often wondered if it is from a ****ty production run. Most people seem to love it.
You and I must have gotten Envoys from that same production run, lol, because mine SUCKED, just nasty harsh and cut inducing even with Derby's (and with Derby's, the added bonus of just barely being sharp enough to cut my whiskers, so add frequent tugging to the mix)

Same here with the .68 ... had a tendency to cut me without provocation for no apparent reason, ditto weepers, like the machining tolerances were slightly off or something
Specially ATG. Never been able to have a smooth ATG pass with them.

My Ikon Tek was an animal. It shaved extremely close, maybe the closest of any razor I have ever owned, but wow! It had to go. My R41 (Zamac version post 2013) isn't exactly rough but it isn't smooth either.

It looks like being discontinued but Razorock Twist to open felt pretty rough to me. I purchased it 7 or 8 years ago and gave it away after a few shaves.

Well this is discouraging. I have a .68 on the way, based on its reputation of being smooth. Hope you're experience isn't mine.
Don’t worry. This is a YMMV thing. The game changers are loved by the majority, I can tell you that.

I loved it when I first tried. But as you experience other razors you sometimes change your reference point.

It’s fine for WTG/XTG. My issues with it come with the ATG pass.

I’m sure you’ll enjoy it a lot.

Open comb razors in general don't agree with me and are on the rough side - Gillette New, Gamechanger .84OC (though I love the SB version), FOCS, with the FOCS being the roughest out of these that I have used.

I have a 48/49 Super Speed that is rough, precarious feeling, but not as much as the above. The 50s SS are better, and the 60s SS even better.

Out of all my razors I think my Razorine Flatboy is the one that is giving me the hardest time if I am not careful. It's a great razor and it can really bite me. I love it enough to hang on to it.

My very worst shave ever was with a R41 clone. Absolutely horrible. I replaced it with the real deal (the 2022 zamak version that is) and that was simply amazing for me. I don't think that any of my other razors fit the bill - modern or vintage for that matter.

I couldn't make friends with Fatip. After extensive experiments on my face , I presented this razor to one participant of the Russian shaving forum .

Top Bottom