What's new

Smoothest Razors In Your Experience (Modern Only)?

For me, "smooth" correlates somewhat positively with "blade feel." I don't mind blade feel per se because I can tell the razor is working and it helps guides the shave. The correlation isn't exact, though, because some razors provide "blade feel" while also being "smooth" (for me this is the Blackbird at it's intended shave angle). Efficiency is another factor for me: I prefer "efficient" to purely "smooth." For example, the venerable DE89/R89 is for me "smooth" but not very "efficient" (takes too much effort/too many passes to get the shave quality I want). On the other end of the spectrum, for me the R41 (I'm referring here to the 2013 and later R41s) has plenty of blade feel, and not really "smooth," but nicely efficient.

Thr razors I seem to gravitate towards have a optimal (for me) combination of just enough blade feel/smoothness as well as efficiency and work at an angle that feels more "natural" to me. From what I have tried so far, the Yates razors are the best. The top sub $100 US razor for me is the Merica.

I

Island

I agree with finding a balance. If I were to pick a smoothest razor I've used, it would go to the Feather AS-D2. But the trade off in efficiency does not make it a favorite.

It my long years of shaving smooth is a subjective experience with as a lot have stated , lots of variables.
Again, so many elements to factor in.
But what still drives be bananas, lots thing it is one thing, the razor. Sure it is a key factor but not the big picture.
What are the factors, you tell me or the original poster.
Cheers
BFX
Be a smart shaver.
Smoothness will come..

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
For a razor to make to my Top Razor List, the shaves it produces have to last 12 hours before I feel the stubble on my chin and upper lip... so I guess you'd say I like Mild to Medium razors with excellent efficiency. But they do have to be smooth and comfortable while accomplishing the task.

I hate listing my razors... they are on my journal if anyone is interested. Most of them are over $100 so they might not apply here. I will say this... I do have the PAA Filament Open Comb Slant... it's under $30, excluding shipping.. and it compares favorably with any of my other top razors. That says a lot, for me, at least. It's also the razor that got my wife away from Gillette cartridge shaving. She "borrowed" my first one... I also gave her the last 2 synth brushes I had and bought her her own Timeless Shaving Bowl.

Theory: you find it smoother because the slant of the razor gives you a slicing cut, rather than the push-cut that you get from making shaving strokes perpendicular to the angle of a regular, non-slant razor head.

I am not a slant guy particularly, but I use a sliding stroke for most of my shaves for the exact same reason. In fact, early Gillette instructions recommend a sliding stroke for a smoother shave!

Most slants provide more than just a slicing stroke, though. Slants that have a helical twist add stiffness to the blade that can help the razor to feel more smooth.

Feather ASD2 and my wife’s Henson which I have tried several times but I couldn’t get comfortable with the weight, btw she gave it away so I have a Mamba .53 on the way for her and of course I am going to try it.

Is that an old Plisson brush, or something else? I love that classic handle.
I was told it belonged to an old WWI soldier by the seller who shipped it to me from France. 65 is stamped on the side of the handle. I assume it is an old Plisson but can't confirm it. It arrived with a tin shaving cup crudely fashioned out of a drinking cup. Trench craftsmanship with the butt of a knife I suppose. The marks on the rim look like tooth marks.

IMG_2399.jpeg

I was told it belonged to an old WWI soldier by the seller who shipped it to me from France. 65 is stamped on the side of the handle. I assume it is an old Plisson but can't confirm it. It arrived with a tin shaving cup crudely fashioned out of a drinking cup. Trench craftsmanship with the butt of a knife I suppose. The marks on the rim look like tooth marks.

View attachment 1746909
It’s a lovely thing to own. For something like this signs of use just add to the appeal. Is the knot original too?

Isn’t it absurd to have a photo of a Janus prototype razor and for me to be commenting on the brush beside it? I know how special the Janus is, but I only see this wonderful brush.

It’s a lovely thing to own. For something like this signs of use just add to the appeal. Is the knot original too?

Isn’t it absurd to have a photo of a Janus prototype razor and for me to be commenting on the brush beside it? I know how special the Janus is, but I only see this wonderful brush.
The knot is new. The one it came with was worn to a nub. Commenting on the brush vs. the JP is cool. It shows how much you appreciate the real history behind the items. The prototype can never catch up mojo-wise.

Henson AL13, BUT...

I find that blade has more to do with smoothness than the razor. So I could also say Baili BD176, any Gillette Tech (I know, vintage), and almost any other razor that I have tried when paired with the right blade. However, the Henson tends to be the absolute easiest to use with a wide range of blades and still result in a smooth experience.

My two smoothest modern razors are also my most efficient. In second place is the lesser of the two, the Rex Envoy. I actually sold it once, and, have only recently replaced it. The reason I sold it was my RAD killer in first place for being smoother and more efficient, the Wolfman 1.25 SB WR2. Smooth doesn't mean it won't cut you. But damn it is a sweet razor. I purchased the head on it's own and got a @Rosseforp to make me one of his GTB handles. The handle is aluminum and bronze and weighs 19 grams. The WR2 is stainless. A lot less weight than a standard Wolfman handle.

I'm also in the camp of not necessarily understanding exactly what "smooth" means, but my interpretation is that a smooth razor has less feel on the skin when making the shaving stroke -- as opposed to a non-smooth razor that would result in the feeling of pulling or grinding or vibration or whatever.

By that metric, the Feather ASD2 is in a class by itself. With a Feather blade and at the right angle (not always easy to do) it's smoother than any other I've ever tried.

I

Island

The AS-D2 with a touch up using the Blackbird Ti is smooth and comfortable and leaves my skin without irritation, but that requires two razors. Either by itself does not do as well for me.

Top Bottom