What's new

Rigarazor

My Rigarazor arrived a week or so back; it is a work of art and shaves very, very nicely. However I'm more than a little disappointed that it came without a case! Is that normal? None was pictured in the advertisement, but I thought an item of this quality and price would have one. Guess I can make or use a toothbrush/pen sleeve or similar...
I use ABS pencil cases. They come in various colors and are just the thing for a straight razor. There is even a double version that fits two.
I can get two shavettes in to the single case, but I don't do that with my straight razors, well, not my good ones.

I would call mine near wedge.

1695860381631.png

I have heard that he makes his own blanks. Not sure exactly what this means in terms of steel making.

Contact him and ask Doc, if I remember right someone asked him to do a rattler and eventually he did it but said it's a tough grind to do.
Andrej is a great guy and easy to do business with, I'm pretty sure he'll work with you.

Andrej cautioned me on using diamond paste, he was definitely correct in saying it would make the edge too aggresive.
Now that I'm back to stropping only the shaves are once again very comfortable.

I should say that when I hone my vintage razors I finish with a 50/100/200k 1/16" diamond pasted balsa wood.
Each pre shave gets 10 laps on the 200K and 30 laps on clean leather.

The 200K pre strop was too much for the rigarazor edge which is why I do only leather on it now.

FYI - Andrej uses one layer of Scapa tape when honing 7/8 razors. For 8/8 he uses two layers.
I remember now him saying he uses .13mm tape (5.11 mil), I found a really good 5mil tape on amazon.
It seems to not want to stick at first but pressing harder it stays on very well and wears nicely.
I just honed a vintage Krisius Bros razor with it to see how it holds up, It's my shave today.

APT, UHMW (Ultra-high Molecular Weight) Polyethylene Tape, Resists Abrasion, Impact, for Surface Protection and Friction and Noise Reduction for Lining Sliding Surfaces. (0.5" x 5Yds, 5 Mil UHMW)​

Last edited:
FYI - Andrej uses one layer of Scapa tape when honing 7/8 razors. For 8/8 he uses two layers.
Does anyone know why razor manufacturors of near wedges use tape? It seems better (and easier for the honer) for the spine and the edge to wear at the same rate so the angle stays the same. Is it just that the bevel would look larger (and perhaps unsightly)? I'm sure there is something I'm missing but I don't get it at the moment.

Top Bottom