What's new

Rigarazor

My new Rigarazor came in today.

Wasn't sure what to expect, lots of great talk about them, but being my 'first quality' razor honed by a professional I had nothing to compare it to.

I can say now it was the most incredible shave I've had, a great experience.
Smooth, perfect. So sharp but not in a threatening way. I couldn't believe how well it shaved.
I started a little while back with a shavette, and have been honing and shaving with ebay razors (3 months?)
My honing is improving and I have a couple of favorites,

But this rigarazor is in a class of its own for me.
Knowing what a great edge feels like will be a big help as I continue learning.

Thanks to all who chimed in when I asked about which blade to buy, everyone's opinions were very helpful.

1688802922321.png

I thought it would have a heavier feel but when opened it's well balanced.
I had to stare at it for awhile when I opened it, the differences between it and my vintage razors was a lot to take in.

I've accidently chipped an edge once or twice and I almost didn't shave with it thinking what the hell am I gonna do if I slip and chip, at that point I believe it actually turned into the most delicate breakable glass ever :)

I'm hoping it won't be long before I can get another, I see he put a couple more on ebay.
It'll be awhile though.

Nice razor! Andrejs can grind and Andrejs can hone.

Assuming your razor is a near wedge with a smiling edge like mine, your experience must be like that of someone shaving with a brand new Joseph Rodgers or Wade & Butcher during the second half of the 19th century.

There is something special about shaving with a razor with a perfect (or near perfect) grind. We talk a lot about the importance of setting the bevel. And while this is absolutely true, the quality of the grind matters too.

😁 had to send this pic to Andrej. If not for him, I may never have known about Latvia.
Guess that makes him a good geography teacher? In addition to his razor side gig 😁

Attachments

• 20230725_174329.jpg
    20230725_174329.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 31
Top Bottom