What's new

Rescue dogs

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
My wife and I had until early December three dogs, all rescues we got at an age of three month to 2 years. So, young dogs then when we got them.
Early December, one of the grooms at our barn had a little mini poodle dropped off, supposedly by an earlier girlfriend.
The dog was extremely neglected and had an open sore just behind her left front leg, and the groom said she has also cancer and needs surgery badly, but he has absolutely no money for this.
My wife decided that our help is needed and we took the dog on. She had her first surgery on the 10 of December, mammary gland cancer, and they removed 6 tumors. Since it was quite a big surgery, they were not able to remove all the tumors. End of January, exactly three weeks ago, she had her second surgery. She came through all of them like a champ. We also found out that she is a quite old dog, probably 14 or 15 years old.

When she got home from the first surgery, I was up with her all night, holding her and keeping her comfortable. Guess, we bonded then. She follows me everywhere I go, lays in my lap when I watch tv. Sweet little girl. Had her groomed and all the badly matted hair removed. She is very playful, hard to believe she is already 14 or older; loves to fetch a tennis ball and toys I toss for her. She always picks up a ball and drops it at my feet when she wants to play.

In the last few days she did not do this and when we picked her up the other day she yelped. Again this morning. Went to the vet today. And as it looks, she may have another tumor, this time probably connected to a bone in her chest. He said there is a 50/50 chance it might be bad. Told us to keep an eye on her, especially her breathing as he fears that the cancer may spread to the lungs. Asked him what her chances are, but he was very unsure.
Said to keep an eye on her and see how she is doing in the next 2-6 months. Hope she has more time left with us.
Sorry for this rant, but today was not a good day and i just needed to get this out.

IMG_1862.jpg
NOODLE.jpg

We just went through the same thing with our 13 year dog, he had a bad pancreas, after a week at the vet we had to make a decision. We had him put down, now he sits on the mantle with our other dog that passed.
We still have 2 more, dogs are loyal and really make a house a home.
Hope you have good luck with your dog.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Love returned, as you receive from your special little girl, is something to behold. Thank you for sharing. You, my friend, are in my prayers tonight.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'm sorry Rudy.
It's quite amazing how a dog can sneak its way into your life and your heart.
They want nothing more than to be happy and to have us happy with them.
No excuse for any kind of animal cruelty, they are subject to our whims, and we ought to do all we can to make their lives joyful.
You've turned her life around and given her a second chance to play, be loved, love you back and be a happy dog, which is far more than she had when she first met you.
Bless you for making her life better, and prayers she has many more happy years with you.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Thank you for getting a rescue. My one cat was a stray feral kitten, the other was an adult we got at the animal shelter. She was pretty close to being put down. They know, don’t know how, but when you bring them to your home to be part of your family they appreciate it.

I am sorry to hear this. I wish you all the best for her, she knows she is loved. I have three elderly dogs and they fill my life, every day I try to give them my best and enjoy every moment. A big hug.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Sorry for your friend. She’s in loving, caring home. It’s tough when our pals aren’t well. Lost my old friend of 11yrs to “C”. Our new old girl is 13 now, slowing down but invigorated by a new 4 month old pup. It’s just keeps going on. Best wishes.

Dogs...I've had at least one as a family member since I was 7 years old. I just love 'em. We had a rescue schnauzer for 17 years, just lost him last May. I feel the sting of that loss every single day, but, SWMBO and I are on the lookout for another rescue. Whatever the sacrifice made in taking one in is repaid x1000.

I'm sorry for the troubles Rudy. However this works out I hope you can take some comfort in knowing you provided your friend with a safe home, love, and kindness. Blessings to your family.

I'm sorry to hear this, Rudy. We just lost our dog to cancer a month ago. We never knew she had cancer since she always acted so peppy.

My sister-in-law and her husband down south had a dog with cancer. It was a sweet, older Bichon. They loved that dog and took it to a facility out of State for treatment, leaving it there for weeks of treatment. Even after all that, the dog lived less than a year. To this day they won't tell anyone what they spent. We saw it once after it got back from its stay. It was still sweet but looked like a Frankenstein dog. My wife's sister admitted to my wife that they wouldn't put a dog, or themselves, thru that again.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My sister-in-law and her husband down south had a dog with cancer. It was a sweet, older Bichon. They loved that dog and took it to a facility out of State for treatment, leaving it there for weeks of treatment. Even after all that, the dog lived less than a year. To this day they won't tell anyone what they spent. We saw it once after it got back from its stay. It was still sweet but looked like a Frankenstein dog. My wife's sister admitted to my wife that they wouldn't put a dog, or themselves, thru that again.
Yes, it kind of sounds weird to mention this to some people, but with kids, spouses, and pets, it's best to have the hard discussions BEFORE you need to have the hard discussions. I have several friends that have gone DEEPLY into debt to treat a dog or cat. Some of them see nothing wrong with..... Oh nevermind.

I was once "discussing" abortion with a client while cutting her hair. She is pro choice.

A wasp flew in our working area. I swatted it down and stepped on it.

I thought she was going to blow a gasket, as I had "murderer" the wasp. Gotta love America.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
With tears in my eyes I write this now. Noodle started to cough this past weekend, and was not as eager to eat her breakfast or play fetching the ball. The coughing got really bad last night, so we took her to the vets this afternoon.
As it looks, the cancer has reached her lungs and a lot of fluid was collecting there. The doctor was able to extract quite a large amount. But, he also showed us the latest xrays and they do not look good.
His words were " she has not months left, but days or maybe a week".
We are absolutely devastated and agreed with him to take her home for the last few days she has and bring her back when the coughing gets bad again and the breathing gets too hard for her, this will be her last trip to the vet with us......we are not looking forward, but we also will not let her suffer.
The last three months with her was an absolute pleasure, both my wife and I are in love with this little furball. She gave us so much. Right now she lays on my feet sleeping the anesthesia off they had to give her to get the fluids out of her lungs.
The good news was that she gained some weight while being with us, from a skinny neglected dog of 7 lbs, she weighs now in at 9.4 lbs, which is the perfect weight for her. Love her so much.....

Top Bottom