What's new

Recommendations for Razor Burn Soothing Balm

Another vote for Thayers Witch Hazel - I personally find the alcohol-free line more soothing, especially the lavender.

This may be further left field, but I switched to cold showers and cold water shaving around a year ago. My skin has never been better!

Have you considered making your own aftershave balm? Mild investment and increase yield versus over the counter products. Lots of videos of various recipes/blends. Shea butter, jojoba oil, aloe vera, glycerin and mix in some witch hazel and think you'd be ok. Might add some menthol crystals for that cooling tingly and some essential oil for scent if you want or leave it unscented. All the best to you.

Steve

Try Gillette Sensitive After Shave Gel.
I like it better than Nivea.
proxy.php

"...the more people I meet,
the more I like my dog......"

So, just to make sure I'm on the same page, in lieu of a preshave oil or similar product use the glycerin prep you described? I've never used the glycerin puck... what type of lather should I be expecting? Something akin to "a soapy face" or will it actually lather similar to a shave cream? Does the glycerin tend to mat the hair down? I've found that sometimes if a preshave oil is too thick it covers the hair. While it allows the razor to glide over the skin, it also glides over the hair.

Thanks for the tip.

It's not my original suggestion but I can guess that the intention with the glycerin soap was to use it as prep. Likely glycerin soap only because it's dirt cheap and you're not shaving with it. Kinda like taking a shower and washing your face to soften the whiskers. You'd be wiping the soap off and rinsing your face so you could likely use any of the soaps you already have as well (for example the Col Conk might make a good shower soap).

You could use any good quality bar of shower soap as well for this purpose (I use Kirk's Castile because it's all natural and easily attainable at the local WalMart for slightly over a buck a bar. I don't lather it with a brush like a shave soap but I do wash my face quite well with the soap to remove all of the oils from my skin and soften the hair. If you have the time to do so and want to put a little extra effort forth, you can also apply some hair conditional after you wash your face while you shower and let it sit there a few minutes before rinsing it off. Anything to soften the course wiry hair will help with the shave.

As far as applying the extra soap to my face after the shave goes I have tried that and it seems like a lot of work when a quality aftershave balm seems to do more with a lot less effort. Do give it a try though as it's not going to hurt. If you find that it works for you then by all means keep doing it.

Preshave oils are something else that I don't use but I could see them helping you out. I don't use them only because it's an extra step that I don't need to do in order to get a comfortable shave. The common issue with pre shave oils is that people tend to use way too much. A little goes a long way here so do try using less if you're getting negative results from using them.

Have you considered making your own aftershave balm? Mild investment and increase yield versus over the counter products. Lots of videos of various recipes/blends. Shea butter, jojoba oil, aloe vera, glycerin and mix in some witch hazel and think you'd be ok. Might add some menthol crystals for that cooling tingly and some essential oil for scent if you want or leave it unscented. All the best to you.

Steve

I had considered doing this for a face lotion, but not necessarily as an aftershave. I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that some of the manufactured aftershaves would have additional anti-inflammatory ingredients and not just skin moisturizers. I'm all about doing my own thing (if it works). IMHO a product really, really has to be impressive to spend the amount of money some of these companies ask for their items. As a general rule I try not to just get a product because of a brand name. I'll hit up Youtube and such and see what I might be able to put together.

By far the best solution I've found is something called The Cool Fix by Shaveworks. You can find it at the local Ulta or Sephora stores.

I went in there desperate a long time ago with my face on fire. It was my first experience with a Feather blade and it didn't go well. My neck and face hurt to the point that I could feel every movement of my shirt collar. I'd already tried every aftershave balm I owned, witch hazel and aloe without the burn subsiding at all. I was at the point where I'd try anything that might work and I'd pay anything for it. I told the girl at the Ulta store what I'd done and she instantly said I know exactly what you need and walked me right to it. She absolutely raved about this stuff and said that the girls in the store all use it when they shave or wax their bikini lines (apparently a very sensitive area to shave). It's a unisex product so it's made for irritation caused by shaving and ingrown hairs.

I bought a large bottle for around $20 but they have made smaller bottles available since I bought mine. A smaller bottle would be more than enough as a little goes a long way seeing as though it usually only takes one or two applications to solve the problem.

The negative - it stings like absolute hell when you apply it to a razor burned area.
The Positive - this stuff really works to the point where you're usually shaving again the next day.

I only use this one when I've done some damage to myself. I have used it once or twice as a normal aftershave and it's quite nice that way as well.

Taking in everyone's advice, I thought I'd run this past you and see what you think. I'm going to try the The Cool Fix by Shaveworks to try and calm the inflammation and help break the cycle of irritation. There is an Ulta about 20 minutes up the road for me so I can easily head out there and purchase some. As a daily AS I was considering trying out the Nivea/Gillette or similar product people have recommended to help keep any irritation under control. Seems to be fairly cost effective.

To help minimize the razorburn in the first place, I've already thrown some changes into my routine. After having tried a variety of manufactured Preshave products, I'm fairly close (I think) to a preshave oil of my own design which seems to be very slick without being thick (I've also added more glycerin and such (rather than a glycerin soap/stick)). My intent is to take the elements of the products which I like and combine them to a more personalized product. I've used it for about three days now and it has made a marked improvement. Still a little tweaking to go though.

I'm ordering the Sudsy shave soap. They have a black Friday/Cyber Monday thing going on so they won't be shipping for a bit. In the meantime I will stick to the PAA soap as opposed to some of the others I have.

I've also cut out any additional touch-ups or passes as you have recommended. This sounds easy, but it really messes with my OCD personality... hard to leave well enough alone. To compensate I am going to try going back to a few sharper blades, but making each stroke almost ridiculously slow to increase efficiency of each pass. I also stopped trying to stretch the skin as tight... just a bit in problem areas to create that flat surface.

Just the few changes I have implemented over the last three days seem to have moved things in the right direction. My neck is not nearly as "angry" and inflamed as it had been. My thoughts are, I run with this plan for a little bit and see what does what. If I change everything all at once it will be hard to see what is truly effective. Any thoughts on definitely add this or that? Or does this seem like a solid plan for the time being?

Thanks to everyone for their help.

I've had good luck with Aveeno After Shave Balm. It became my go-to after rough shaves and it calmed things down a lot for me.

I also got better results scrapping the face scrub prior to shave. Seemed overkill to me to rub an abrasive on my face and then give it a dermabrasion (skin scraping) with a blade. I have more comfortable shaves without it, only using it occasionally in the shower.

It only costs two bucks, it smells like it only costs two bucks, & the label's list of ingredients reads like it was created by a mad scientist, but nothing works better at calming razor burn like good old Afta by Mennen.

It only costs two bucks, it smells like it only costs two bucks, & the label's list of ingredients reads like it was created by a mad scientist, but nothing works better at calming razor burn like good old Afta by Mennen.
AFTA was my go-to brand in my early 20s ... circa 1976.

I was early in my USN phase, and I was attending a technical school called AFTA (Advanced First Term Avionics) it lasted about a year, in and around Millington, TN, and just about everybody that went to this school owned a bottle of AFTA aftershave balm in their kits.

Not everybody used it, but I did. I liked it then, I'll probably like it again. I'll probably pick up a bottle next time I catch a good price.

After the AFTA phase, my next go-to brand was Brut 33 ... more on that in another thread.

Another vote for The Cool Fix. Does sting like the dickens when initially applied. That subsides pretty quickly and it does an effective job of reducing irritation.

Maybe it's overkil, but post shave I do alum, Thayers, Nivea sensitive skin ASB, then my AS of choice.

Cosider a mild razor and and a sharp blade. I'm a daily shaver so I use a Gillette Fatboy set on 3 with a Feather, Persona Med Prep, or Astra.

For me, a good lather is key to avoiding razor burn, slick with lots of cushion.

Focus on a good shave, not BBS. Consider reducing the number of passes, maybe 2 with touch ups, instead of a full 3.

My advice is to keep working on your shave technique. Breaking the cycle of irritation and suffering is key. A few days of better shaves can work wonders. Well done!

Cosider a mild razor and and a sharp blade. I'm a daily shaver so I use a Gillette Fatboy set on 3 with a Feather, Persona Med Prep, or Astra.

For me, a good lather is key to avoiding razor burn, slick with lots of cushion.

Focus on a good shave, not BBS. Consider reducing the number of passes, maybe 2 with touch ups, instead of a full 3.

My advice is to keep working on your shave technique. Breaking the cycle of irritation and suffering is key. A few days of better shaves can work wonders. Well done!

Excellent advice from both these gentlemen.

Try to go down to 2 passes as another person said. When I started DE shaving I use to do 3 passes but that caused a lot of irritation. Especially when going ATG. Now I only do 2 passes. I love Nivea balm. That helps me a lot with irritation. I hardly ever use splashes. I use mostly soaps and one of my favorite blades is Wilkinson Sword. The one in a black box. They are very comfortable. Also, Perma Sharps are very good but pricey.

Silverback..... what you described with your problem is exactly what my co-worker has. Same type of hair issues. I suggested that he try the PAA "Double Open Comb" (DOC) razor. Well, he got one and said it's been the only thing that works for him now without any irritation. It's NOT a BBS shave, but you can wear a respirator on the face all day long and it's a tight seal.

I have the razor and it's truly a unique shaver. Here's a video from "Shave the man," explaining it. It really keeps the irritation on ones face, down to a minimum. One more thing, I'd probably dump the Muhle R41. It's very aggressive to one with sensitive skin/hair issues. I mean, it's like shaving a microscopic layer of your skin off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tip on Cool Fix. I also have chronic razor burn issues. I just ordered a bottle on Amazon. This board is a tremendous resource. Thanks to all for the advice for us beginners.

Brian

Top Bottom