What's new

Recommendations for Razor Burn Soothing Balm

Looking for recommendations for a balm that soothes intense razor burn. I have a coarse hair/sensitive skin combo that results in razor burn regardless of any other factors; some days are worse than others, but it is going to be there. If I really mangle myself then I'll probably have to deal with ingrown hair as well. My skin is naturally oily as well so something of a moisturizer is also preferred. Not a huge fan of scents that linger. Preferably at $40 or less as it will be a daily thing. I know I'm kind of asking for the "miracle formula", but the more of these issues it can deal with the happier I will be.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Thayers Witch Hazel
Nivea Sensitive Balm

Change up your soap or cream brand, or look to modifying your technique.

By far the best solution I've found is something called The Cool Fix by Shaveworks. You can find it at the local Ulta or Sephora stores.

I went in there desperate a long time ago with my face on fire. It was my first experience with a Feather blade and it didn't go well. My neck and face hurt to the point that I could feel every movement of my shirt collar. I'd already tried every aftershave balm I owned, witch hazel and aloe without the burn subsiding at all. I was at the point where I'd try anything that might work and I'd pay anything for it. I told the girl at the Ulta store what I'd done and she instantly said I know exactly what you need and walked me right to it. She absolutely raved about this stuff and said that the girls in the store all use it when they shave or wax their bikini lines (apparently a very sensitive area to shave). It's a unisex product so it's made for irritation caused by shaving and ingrown hairs.

I bought a large bottle for around $20 but they have made smaller bottles available since I bought mine. A smaller bottle would be more than enough as a little goes a long way seeing as though it usually only takes one or two applications to solve the problem.

The negative - it stings like absolute hell when you apply it to a razor burned area.
The Positive - this stuff really works to the point where you're usually shaving again the next day.

I only use this one when I've done some damage to myself. I have used it once or twice as a normal aftershave and it's quite nice that way as well.

Last edited:
Also, the sensitive skin thing is something that I've heard a lot and often times it's not really the case. Usually just a matter of someone needing better technique. I'm not saying that you don't have sensitive skin but that if this is something that you've self diagnosed then maybe you could resolve the problem by taking your time, watching your blade angle and making sure you're not applying pressure to the razor.

A high quality soap such as Sudsy Soapery goes a long way as well. With this soap I feel like I could do fifteen passes without paying the price for doing so. Maybe consider upgrading your soap to reduce the razor burn instead of, or in addition to, purchasing an after shave to clear it up.

Sorry to hear about your poor shave results. Perhaps we can address the razor burn cause tather than the result. Post your prep and equipment, photo of your lather and we can most likely help.

A high quality soap such as Sudsy Soapery goes a long way as well. With this soap I feel like I could do fifteen passes without paying the price for doing so. Maybe consider upgrading your soap to reduce the razor burn instead of, or in addition to, purchasing an after shave to clear it up.
+1
I bought some shaving soap from a vendor at a farmers market, and not only does its lather collapse too soon, and I think she used some ingredient that gives a slight irritation, especially when using a Feather blade. It's the only shaving soap or cream that I have that does this.

[edit] I get a very comfortable post-shave feel with Nivea Originals shaving cream, but I don't like the scum it leaves on everything, it can be hard to rinse from a razor between strokes, and the silicone in the formula can't be good for a brush.

Last edited:
Nivea sensitive post shave is really good. If you're having razor burn and can't catch a break, it's more than likely your razor blade is too sharp and/or your technique. I also have coarse hair that grows in many directions and sensitive skin. If you have oily skin (and even if you dont) I would advise precleaning your face with a bar soap, twice. This will clean the oil and allow the shaving soap to penetrate easier and soften your hairs. It could also be a shaving soap sensitivity, I've had that issue in the past but the only way you'll know for sure is by changing one variable at a time.

Last edited:
Best I have found is LAB Series Razor Burn Relief Ultra.

As stated above, the best cure is to prevent it to start with!

Definitely looking to try some of these products. Appreciate the feedback.

As far the razor burn goes, I'm always willing to try something different, but this has been a life long issue. While relatively new to the DE shaving, I've been enjoying face pain for 30 or so years. Whether it is cartridge, DE, or even electric shaving I get highly irritated skin. Not just my face either. My time in the USMC having a shaved head gave me years of terrible ingrown hairs on my head and neck, cysts which have to be surgically removed, etc. These things swell to the point it looks like a grape under my skin. According to the various doctors, my hair is a combination of being coarse, but when cut close it has a slight curl to it which rolls over and makes for these various problems. Folliculitis is a constant companion.

I currently use an Executive Shave Braveheart head, a Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements (PAA) handle and either a Gillette Black 7'oclock or Wilkinson sword. Sometimes if I'm not doing a three pass shave I will just use a Lord Platinum. I have tried most every popular blade on the market over the course of time. These seem to be a compromise for irritation and cutting power.

Routine: wash face with face scrub, apply preshave (have tried TOBS, AOS, and PAA, and homemade), then shave cream with each pass (have tried TOBS, Poraso, PAA, Artisan, Kiss My Face, Captain Black, Colonel Conk, Haslinger, and more).

I must do a three pass shave or all I do is lower the stubble. I am required to maintain a close shave for work reasons. I have safety masks I periodically use and any facial hair compromises the seal (which is bad). I have tried WTG, XTG, ATG as well as XTG, XTG, ATG. I have mapped out my face.

I've tried other razors. Slant razors result in ingrown hair because the hair drops under the skin. I have an R89 and an R41 and like them both.

If someone has similar issues or even a recommendation which eliminates these issues (and it worked) I would sing your praises for the remainder of my life. I've basically just accepted this as a cost of doing business, so to speak. I wish it were as simple as changing a blade angle or equipment, but my experience thus far has not seemed to point in that direction. Still, new products are always coming out. Never know.

From your description it sounds as if you might well be in the small minority that does have an actual problem. I suspect that wet shaving using a de razor can help you. The better technique you have the better off you'll be. The result of improved technique is a better more comfortable shave.

As far as your razor goes I'm not really familiar with that one from Executive shave. The R41 is very aggressive, which is the opposite of what I'd recommend for you. I'd likely suggest something mild like the Timeless .68 SB which is the most comfortable razor I've ever used. Some say the OneBlade is excellent in this regard but I've never tried one myself. The R89 is ok but leaves me wanting something better as I had a hard time getting a close shave when I had mine.

As far as blades go, sure some are better than others but the majority are very serviceable and will do a respectable job. I've found some of the sharper ones seem to require less touch up but I can get a great shave from most of them. In your case you may even want to change the blades after every shave for cleanliness reasons. Either that or an alcohol soak after each shave. I've heard of people with skin sensitivities doing this as using an unclean blade is not good when you have razor burn as it's like an open wound.

The soaps you've listed a couple are pretty good (AOS, PAA, Haslinger), some are ok (TOBS, Proraso, KMF) and some I would consider below average (Col Conk), but unfortunately none stand out to me as being exceptional. So this is a place that you might be able to get some improvement. A better soap would definitely help you out. My favorite soap is PannaCrema Nuavia but it's pricey at about $65. Sudsy Soapery (my second favorite soap) is outstanding as well and priced at a lower cost (around $14) where most people can afford it.

Other than that just take your time, and definitely watch the angle and pressure. Use a very, very light touch. Maybe even commit to do two passes and settle with the result, or maybe three passes but definitely skip the touch up. At least for a short time and see what happens. Chasing perfection will likely cause you some additional irritation to get you a shave that likely only you will notice is closer.

From your description it sounds as if you might well be in the small minority that does have an actual problem. I suspect that wet shaving using a de razor can help you. The better technique you have the better off you'll be. The result of improved technique is a better more comfortable shave.

As far as your razor goes I'm not really familiar with that one from Executive shave. The R41 is very aggressive, which is the opposite of what I'd recommend for you. I'd likely suggest something mild like the Timeless .68 SB which is the most comfortable razor I've ever used. Some say the OneBlade is excellent in this regard but I've never tried one myself. The R89 is ok but leaves me wanting something better as I had a hard time getting a close shave when I had mine.

As far as blades go, sure some are better than others but the majority are very serviceable and will do a respectable job. I've found some of the sharper ones seem to require less touch up but I can get a great shave from most of them. In your case you may even want to change the blades after every shave for cleanliness reasons. Either that or an alcohol soak after each shave. I've heard of people with skin sensitivities doing this as using an unclean blade is not good when you have razor burn as it's like an open wound.

The soaps you've listed a couple are pretty good (AOS, PAA, Haslinger), some are ok (TOBS, Proraso, KMF) and some I would consider below average (Col Conk), but unfortunately none stand out to me as being exceptional. So this is a place that you might be able to get some improvement. A better soap would definitely help you out. My favorite soap is PannaCrema Nuavia but it's pricey at about $65. Sudsy Soapery (my second favorite soap) is outstanding as well and priced at a lower cost (around $14) where most people can afford it.

Other than that just take your time, and definitely watch the angle and pressure. Use a very, very light touch. Maybe even commit to do two passes and settle with the result, or maybe three passes but definitely skip the touch up. At least for a short time and see what happens. Chasing perfection will likely cause you some additional irritation to get you a shave that likely only you will notice is closer.

That Sudsy Soapery has peaked my interest. Have you ever bought from mystic soap in Maryland? Just wondering how it compares.

I think I'll start with the alcohol soak and see how that works. If not, I'll swap the blades daily. I hate to waste, so hopefully the alcohol works. This is definitely good advice though as I can't even really go to the barber and have them use clippers as it spreads bacteria/fungus (as a general rule, not related to just me). I use my own personal clippers which I care for and maintain. Don't know why I never thought of doing the alcohol soak.

I'll skip the touch ups for the time being as well, and try some of the aftershave recommendations too.

I agree with you about the R89. That's kind of how I started looking for different razors. The Braveheart was touted as a slightly more aggressive shave than the R89. Not sure if that's true, but that's how I came by it. R41 is definitely way more aggressive than anything I would use regularly. Periodically I test the progress of my technique and such with it. I'm not familiar with the Timeless or oneblade. Do you think they would be able to handle a dense and coarse hair type?

That Sudsy Soapery has peaked my interest. Have you ever bought from mystic soap in Maryland? Just wondering how it compares.

I think I'll start with the alcohol soak and see how that works. If not, I'll swap the blades daily. I hate to waste, so hopefully the alcohol works. This is definitely good advice though as I can't even really go to the barber and have them use clippers as it spreads bacteria/fungus (as a general rule, not related to just me). I use my own personal clippers which I care for and maintain. Don't know why I never thought of doing the alcohol soak.

I'll skip the touch ups for the time being as well, and try some of the aftershave recommendations too.

I agree with you about the R89. That's kind of how I started looking for different razors. The Braveheart was touted as a slightly more aggressive shave than the R89. Not sure if that's true, but that's how I came by it. R41 is definitely way more aggressive than anything I would use regularly. Periodically I test the progress of my technique and such with it. I'm not familiar with the Timeless or oneblade. Do you think they would be able to handle a dense and coarse hair type?

I've used the Mystic Waters soap several times. The original formula was a very good soap but it was difficult to lather for some. Which was the main reason why I wasn't too fond of it. A very good soap that required too much effort. The newer formula has solved that problem and made the soap noticeably easier to lather. Some people really like the Mystic soaps a lot.

I still much prefer PannaCrema and Sudsy Soapery as these are the very best of the somewhere around 500 soaps I've tried. I was trying everything I could get my hands on for a long time. Buying tubs, samples and trading for anything I hadn't already tried. The point is these are the soaps that I had to try so many to find

The Timeless razor has no problem cutting through anything I've put in front of it. Surprisingly efficient for a milder razor. I used some really aggressive razors for a very long time and I have no problem at all getting a perfect shave from this razor. The other thing that's really nice with this brand (as well as ATT) is that you can return the razor for a full refund within 30 days. It'll just cost you the shipping. This way if the razor is too aggressive or not enough you can trade base plates, or send it back entirely if it isn't enjoyable. I'd recommend that if you buy one and are unsure about it that you use it for a few weeks instead of sending it back right away. If you think it might not work then reach out to the vendor and keep in touch with them as they'll know what might work better for you. The trial periods like this show me that the manufacturer believes in their product and takes the risk out of the fairly expensive purchase.

Do skip the touch up as I think this will help you to get better with your initial passes as well as reduce the irritation from the touch up. It's easy to over do it and scrape off too much skin when you chase perfection.

Good luck and please post your results in this thread as I'd love to follow how you're doing.

Stirling's Unscented Balm and 444 Balm are both good. The 444 has a bit of menthol if that's an issue.
Seba-Med, if it's available in the States.

Razor burn/irritation on my neck has been the story of my life.

First, a mild razor with a sharp blade, then acute attention to pressure and angle make a huge difference.

After that, I wouldn't be without Lucky Tiger Aftershave and Face Tonic. After that it's an AS splash, usually with a little added glycerin.

The balms from Stirling and Soap Commander are also excellent, though I'm not a balm guy.

I use witch hazel immediately after the shave. Then Nivea Sensitive balm. That's great first aid. If it feels tender throughout the day, at night I'll wash my face with Noxzema and moisturize with a thick cream like Arko classic or Nivea cream. By morning, I'm usually in good shape.

here's yet another free bit of advice...

step 1...add glycerin soap pre-lather and rinse, to your prep. Face lather with the glycerin soap puck, just as you would with a shave stick, whip it up with badger, then rinse lightly,and proceed to lather for shave per normal with whatever shave soap or cream. glycerin soap is really inexpensive, so this does not add much cost.

step 2...after you've finished your shave, rinse lightly, then re-apply all the leftover shave soap lather to your face, leave it for a minute or so, then rinse again with cool washcloth. from there, use whatever aftershave balm or lotion. but the leftover lather leaves residual moisture and glycerin on the skin.

here's yet another free bit of advice...

step 1...add glycerin soap pre-lather and rinse, to your prep. Face lather with the glycerin soap puck, just as you would with a shave stick, whip it up with badger, then rinse lightly,and proceed to lather for shave per normal with whatever shave soap or cream. glycerin soap is really inexpensive, so this does not add much cost.

step 2...after you've finished your shave, rinse lightly, then re-apply all the leftover shave soap lather to your face, leave it for a minute or so, then rinse again with cool washcloth. from there, use whatever aftershave balm or lotion. but the leftover lather leaves residual moisture and glycerin on the skin.

So, just to make sure I'm on the same page, in lieu of a preshave oil or similar product use the glycerin prep you described? I've never used the glycerin puck... what type of lather should I be expecting? Something akin to "a soapy face" or will it actually lather similar to a shave cream? Does the glycerin tend to mat the hair down? I've found that sometimes if a preshave oil is too thick it covers the hair. While it allows the razor to glide over the skin, it also glides over the hair.

Thanks for the tip.

I've used Grooming Lounge "Best For Last" aftershave with pretty good results for razor burn. It has almost no scent. Just a touch of creamy/medicinal. Very, very light. They also have a product called "The Shavoir", but I've never tried that. Good luck and I hope you can find a solution.

Top Bottom