What's new

Razor theft by TSA or airline baggage handler (False alarm - they are good people)

:thumbdown

There are plenty of ways to secure items in luggage. This is not one of them. The guy doesn't even put the lock through the metal zippers or anything. All of these items can be cut free with scissors and stolen easy peasy. Nevertheless, I won't travel with any of these expensive items. The camera on the other hand, might be something I'd be concerned about checking, I'd put it in my carry-on if it were permitted.

The whole point of his method is to make your stuff a less attractive target.
Baggage handlers and TSA screeners do not have a lot of time. If they can't grab it and run, they won't.
If you put the lock through the zippers, then it must be removed to inspect the (now insecure) contents.
Any locks must be TSA locks except for a lock used to secure a firearm, and EVERYONE has the bypass key for TSA locks.
The TSA lock might keep another passenger out, but it's not going to stop a baggage handler, and certainly not a dishonest TSA inspector.

Actually, it is a stupid video, with dumb ideas.

Why go through all of that BS for carry-on luggage?

That's not for your carry-on. That's for your checked baggage that you will not be able to keep an eye on.

So what makes it a stupid video with dumb ideas, other than the guy's disparaging comments about airport employees?
Please specify what exactly about the ideas is "dumb"

That's not for your carry-on. That's for your checked baggage that you will not be able to keep an eye on.

So what makes it a stupid video with dumb ideas, other than the guy's disparaging comments about airport employees?
Please specify what exactly about the ideas is "dumb"

Because the Health Ranger specifically states, in the beginning of the video, that all of that nonsense is for a carry-on bag. And as stated in the comments, if the TSA wants to get into any of that, you are going to have to undo all of it.

Oh, and here is the title of the video:

"
100% foolproof solution to stop TSA from stealing your valuables out of your carry-on bag"

Furthermore, baggage handlers are not TSA employees.

Last edited:
I always pack a starter pistol in my checked luggage. That allows you to not have a tsa approved lock, and ensures that your stuff gets there in one piece.

Actually, it is a stupid video, with dumb ideas.

Why go through all of that BS for carry-on luggage?

What you are missing, is that the objective is to make things unattractive to steal. The best way to do that is to make it more work than it is worth. Quite frankly, I would not likely pack valuable electronics and the like, including dopp kit, in checked baggage. I have control and can see my carry on at all times, except for when it is going through the x-ray machine. If you absolutely must pack anything of value in your checked baggage, make it hard to grab and go.

What you are missing, is that the objective is to make things unattractive to steal. The best way to do that is to make it more work than it is worth. Quite frankly, I would not likely pack valuable electronics and the like, including dopp kit, in checked baggage. I have control and can see my carry on at all times, except for when it is going through the x-ray machine. If you absolutely must pack anything of value in your checked baggage, make it hard to grab and go.

I understand the concept of making things hard to steal, but the video explicitly states, at least twice, that this procedure is for carry-on luggage, which makes it ridiculous. The Health Ranger also references TSA employees numerous times, and since baggage handlers are not TSA employees, he is obviously referring to the people that check your carry-on bags.

If someone were to make a similar video, for checked luggage, it might have more value.

Of course, no one with any sense is going to pack all, or any of that stuff, loose and unprotected like that, checked, or carry-on, which makes the video even more ludicrous.

Just thought of something....when TSA goes into your luggage "officially" they leave a written notice (about the size of a postcard) in the bag telling you they were in there. Did you get one ??
I did get one.
It says nothing about confiscation though.

Same for me...Over the years I have had nail files and nail clippers confiscated from my checked baggage ,a generic "We searched you" note on yellow paper stuffed into my suitcases ,which had the " snap open & close" tie straps cut off and thrown away,and nothing else whatsoever.These guys have to answer to no one,so they do as they please...

Same for me...Over the years I have had nail files and nail clippers confiscated from my checked baggage ,a generic "We searched you" note on yellow paper stuffed into my suitcases ,which had the " snap open & close" tie straps cut off and thrown away,and nothing else whatsoever.These guys have to answer to no one,so they do as they please...

It would only be confiscation if the items were prohibited. Plus, it is possible for person A to search your bag and leave a note, and person B (and who knows, persons C and D and ...) to steal from your bag.

I've travelled back and forth from the USA to France several times with straights, always checking my baggage, and never had a problem. Carry on would definitely be another matter. I've lost a couple of Swiss army knives because I forgot to put them in my checked luggage.

OK, So I am embarrassed to say that I have recovered both razors.
I was surprise to find my Wapienica in my hidden closet where I keep them (I have young kids at home and beside, my wife does not have to know how many razors I have). I looked a bit further and found the Thiers Issard too.
Then it hit me.
I use to always keep those 2 in my travel pooch, but last time, I had a month travel-free and being left alone like that, one started to rust.
So I decided, to not leave them inside, but forgot that new policy when I packed.

So false alert and apologies to TSA.

Nevertheless, the scare taught me something.
Next time, I'll pack a Gold Dollar.

You had us going pretty good !!!...Sure feels good to find something you thought was lost...happy for you !...turned out to be a nice thread anyway ...

Well I got lucky. But I take it as a warning.
When I shared my story, I heard a lot about random trifles disappearing from checked bags. So even though I have travel quite a bit with my Thiers-Issard and Wapienica without incident. My Joseph Elliot made it fine too on the way back.
Still I think I'll be more careful in the future and only travel with something I am willing to lose.
I have a fine Gold-dollar, still in its crappy 66 scales that will do.
Better still, would be a cheap stainless steel.
Unfortunately being stuck in a small pooch with a not so dry badger is not a good thing for a carbon steel razor.
So a GD 800, or something along those line would work better.

Top Bottom