What's new

Theft from American Airlines

All,

I had the unfortunate experience of having my Futur and the accompanying Silver-tipped badger hair brush stolen from my suitcase and American refused to pay for it. On a recent trip to South America, I checked my bag in the US but due to flight #1 plane taken out of service, I missed my connection so I decided not to travel. I had a meeting the next morning that I would not be able to attend, so why travel, right? American said that they would pull my bag and keep it in my home city, calling me or delivering it to my house. Unfortunately, my bag went missing for several days, somehow ended up in the destination city a few days later, then eventually made it back to me about a week and a half later. When I opened my bag, it had been ransacked, heirloom cufflinks stolen, as well as my razor and brush (as well as my deodorant - who the hell steals a deodorant???). I filed a claim at the airport the next day, but they said that they couldnt do anything. I wrote to American Airlines AAdvantage Premier (I am Platinum with over 1,400,000 miles flown on American). They basically said tough luck, Mr. Loyal Frequent Flyer who has spent over $30,000 on tickets the last 6 months. They comped me 15,000 miles, which is basically worthless to me as I have plenty accumulated. Below is a cut and paste of the response they sent to me. The moral of the story? Put your razor and brush in your brief case, leave your blades in your suitcase.

Dear Mr. XXXXXX:

Please accept my apology for the difficulties you encountered when you traveled with us from XXXXXX. I am sorry flight XXXX was delayed on July X and cancelled on July X as the result of mechanical problems.

We wish we had it in our power to guarantee that planes would always arrive on time and cancellations just wouldn't happen. Unhappily, we don't*--*but what we can and should do is make every attempt to minimize the inconvenience for our customers whenever we do encounter operational problems. I am sorry that we didn't do a better job of making the situation a little less trying.

We are as concerned as you are about the circumstances you described. Personnel in our Security Department use a program of surveillance and other means to prevent property loss -- especially in this era of heightened security. Our statistical measures reflect that our efforts are highly successful but I realize this is of little solace to you since you are reportedly missing some of your belongings.

Certain items in checked luggage are not covered under our Conditions of Carriage. We do not accept responsibility for antiques, artifacts, artwork, books and documents, china, computers and other electronic equipment, computer software, fragile items (including child/infant restraint devices such as strollers and car seats), eyeglasses, prescription sunglasses, non-prescription sunglasses and all other eyewear and eye/vision devices whether lenses are glass, plastic, or some other material, furs, heirlooms, items carried in the passenger compartment of the aircraft, liquids, medicines, money, orthotics, surgical supports, perishable items, photographic, video and optical equipment, precious metals, stones or jewelry, securities and negotiable papers, silverware, samples, unique or irreplaceable items or any other similar valuable items. American does not accept these items in or as checked baggage and assumes no responsibility or liability for such items, regardless of whether American knew or should have known of the presence of such items in checked or transferred baggage. If any such items are lost, damaged or delayed, you will not be entitled to any reimbursement under American's standard baggage liability, or under any declared excess valuation. Do not attempt to check these items. Carry them with you in the passenger cabin (subject to carryon baggage limitations). Information about our baggage liability policy is displayed at all ticket counters. For additional details visit AA.com.

Nevertheless, we'd like to make amends and extend a gesture of goodwill. Accordingly, I've credited 15,000 bonus miles to your AAdvantage® account. I hope you will be encouraged to give us another chance to serve you soon.

Again, Mr. XXXXXX, we apologize for disappointing you. At the same time, however, we're glad you took the time to let us know what happened. We rely on feedback from our customers to be sure that we are concentrating our efforts on quality. Your comments will help us keep that focus.

This is an "outgoing only" email address. If you 'reply' to this message by simply selecting the reply button, we will not receive your additional comments. Please assist us in providing you with a timely response to any feedback you have for us by always sending us your email messages via AA.com at http://www.aa.com/customerrelations.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXXXXXX
Customer Relations
American Airlines:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

This really sucks... very sorry to hear it. Because it sounds like your bag has been all over the western hemisphere, I think it might be difficult to conclusively pin this one on AA. Dozens of people likely handled your bag in each stop, some of whom work for AA, many of whom work for TSA, the airports, or whatever foreign airports' baggage handling service. However, AA should have been more custodial over your bag, and should have been able to catch it before it went on to South America.

Anyway, I'm not really sure I see anything in there that would prevent them from covering your razor and deodorant. I'd certainly push the issue. Escalate to the executive office if you have to. Their Customer Relations Executive email (as well as the CEO, and SVP of Customer Services) is available here: http://www.elliott.org/archives/2007/05/american_airlin.php

My wife and I recently had a nightmare experience on AA in which our 3 hour flight (with an 11 mo baby) turned into 11 hours due to weather and downright ineptitude on the part of the airline. I won't even go into the night spent in DFW airport (again, with an 11 mo), the lost (gate checked) stroller, the blatant lies by gate personnel, and the complete lack of compassion, much less customer service, by AA staff. We have a letter sent to them as well and should their gesture of goodwill not be satisfactory, we will be making a gesture of our own in the form of reversing charges on our credit card. Fargin' bastages.

This is the standard PFO (please f$%* off) letter that passes for acceptable "customer service" these days - don't let it be the last word - if you push, you'll likely get some money or some other form of compensation that has some value.

First off, whether they have a legal responsibility, they should care about ticking off a high-value customer - I would threaten to use other carriers wherever possible if this isn't dealt with in an acceptable manner.

Also, it may be that they didn't follow appropriate security guidelines for allowing bagage onto an aircraft without a passenger unless they follow additional security protocols. It may be that your luggage got onto the flight you didn't take without having gone through the extra security protocols - see the following documents from the Transportation Security Administration:

http://search.fema.gov/search?q=unaccompanied+baggage&sort=date%3AD%3AL%3Ad1&output=xml_no_dtd&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&client=tsa&proxystylesheet=tsa&site=tsa

Use the search function and search "unaccompanied baggage".

The threat of a complaint to the TSA might resonate if doing the right thing by a good customer doesn't.

In terms of liability, while one of their employees might not have stolen your stuff, the fact that your bagage took the trip you didn't was.

I would escalate - if someone can't help you (ie, says that they're just following policy" or "that there's nothing else you can do") or is just giving you the runaround, calmly thank them for their assistance and ask to speak to their supervisor - if they refuse to provide that information, ask them for their name, position, etc. and advise them that you're not dropping it and that you will specifically mention the fact that they refused to move you up the line.

Basically don't take no for an answer - see if there is a formal dispute resolution process and find a way to speak (as opposed to write/e-mail) with someone who is more than a functionary.

I predict that if you adopt a firm, but reasonable stance, don't loose your temper, you can at least get some compensation that actually has some value for you.

Good luck, may the force be with you!

Appalling. Have you tried to claim from travel insurance? Escalate up a level, via snail mail, and tell the head of Customer Relations to stick his 15K miles where the sun don't shine. If you were to carry on every item listed in their offensive email reply then you'd not be allowed on board.

In the good old days, must have been about 15 years ago I complained directly to the CE of BA about a p**s-poor meal on a LHR-MIA flight. I received a reply from him (or one of his underlings signed by him) with a GBP400 voucher. Effectively the cost of the original return ticket. How things have changed.

Time to start using them miles and giving your money to another airline?

Sorry to hear about this-

Simply unacceptable- I have been know to "cut my nose to spite my face" but- I would take my accumulated miles and find a way of making them feel the loss- Regardless of your frequent use of this airline- they should have taken the loss and made good will towards the customer- and this goes for either you with a million plus miles or me- someone who will use that airline ONLY if they are the last resort.

What makes me even more credulous is that if they can open your luggage to steal something- what stops them from also opening your luggage to place something in it- either that will cause a random person grief or for more nefarious reasons. Just doesn't pay to fly with all this already happening- I take carry on now and will ship my luggage via a carrier to the location I am going- costs a little more but I do not have to deal with loss damage or airline lackeys for delays.

Just me and as has been said before
I'm sick of this and I'm not going to take this anymore.

By the way read about SkyHarbor Airport and you will know what I am speaking of.

Sorry to hear about it. I also lost my futur, well I forgot and left it in the hotel. I will cash my frequent miles and take my business somewhere else. Marco

I don't ever use my miles for anything else, but the typical cash value of 15,000 miles is about $150.

Could you replace the razor with those. If you can (by redeeming them for a gif card or something) then try not to think of them as miles, but as payment for your loss.

It is sometime about changing your paradigm.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I feel your pain. The same thing happened to my Leica and my Picasso.

I used to work for an airline and probably have more sympathy for them than most of you have. But the problem of thieving employees is not unique to the airline business. And there is no way an airline can really prevent it. A really effective security system to keep employees from stealing would cost enough to force them to raise their fares. Then you would fly with their cheaper competitors and they would go out of business. The moral? Don't check anything you would really mind losing. Sad, but that is the society we live in.

I used to work for an airline and probably have more sympathy for them than most of you have. But the problem of thieving employees is not unique to the airline business. And there is no way an airline can really prevent it. A really effective security system to keep employees from stealing would cost enough to force them to raise their fares. Then you would fly with their cheaper competitors and they would go out of business. The moral? Don't check anything you would really mind losing. Sad, but that is the society we live in.

...and these same employees are the ones checking luggage for bombs and other security violations?

My approach is to bounce it upstairs. CEO and Chairperson are a good place to start. It's part of their job to know what customers experience and if they risk losing their best and most profitable customers to competitors. It's our job as consumers to make sure that we send them this information. I've had a string of successes with this. (Getting off soap box now.)

Sorry to hear about your loss.
Avoid customer service-they are gatekeepers-keep the complaints out.

Look up the CEO/check Who's Who and ask a reference librarian. Send a complaint via Priority mail w/ delivery confirmation to CEO/head honcho.

Inside the envelope have another envelope outside of which is written on both sides PERSONAL CONFIDENTIAL TO BE OPENED ONLY BY ....bigwig.

I used this method once with a company and got results fast. All customer service is no customrer service or help.

come on now mate, I have learned from experience not to let it stop, keep climbing up the ladder until you find someone who will compensate you

also, if you booked on an amex you may have a claim since they lost/delayed your bags usually amex will give you $500 is bags are delayed

From the maintenance floor to the cockpit, American Airlines is daily scouring operations to increase efficiency and find even the smallest cost savings. It's paid off: Last week, the company announced its first profit in almost five years.

Maybe by cutting things like customer service they can actually make a profit.

Maybe its just me, but 15,000 bonus miles seems like more miles than I've ever been awarded in a luggage or travel dispute-- and I've had a few. They've given the OP, essentially, a free flight. It looks like they're trying fairly hard.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Whenever I experience problems such as this, I put my wife on the case. By the time she's through with them, someone will hand deliver a check to us. :thumbup:

Top Bottom