What's new

Backpack or Suitcase

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
A question for my frequent and/or international travelers. Please feel free to add ANY plane/travel hacks you find helpful.

In just over 2 weeks I'll be departing for my first trip overseas. Portugal here I come. I've traveled throughout the United States and have no questions or concerns about that. However, I do wonder what you all use when traveling further abroad. I'll be using my carryon size suitcase with wheels and a small backpack for my "personal item'. I have no concerns about packing, I am certain I'll be able to fit everything I need. Whole we will be moving around a bit, everywhere we are staying has a washer.

Mrs. Chef has purchased a travel backpack. I think that's great and I understand her reasons. Hands free, no worries about cobblestones, yada-yada. As far as my wheels are concerned I'm not too worried as we'll be using taxis/Uber to get from airports/train stations to lodging and we'll be renting a car for several days while exploring the Algarve. (I do have my worries about LOTH getting everything into her pack, she may surprise me...)

We are carryon only from the US to Lisbon. Checked bags from Porto to Faro. Carryon bags when traveling by rail.

So mostly out of curiosity, how do you roll? Are you a backpacker? Are you a roller? Do you have any insights/suggestions to make an 8+ hour flight a little more pleasant? Other thoughts or input?

Thanks for the read and your comments!

Been looking at Madeira to move to in some years :) so have fun

grew up a pilots kid travelled a LOT and also later in life lived in various countries and traveled for extended periods

I am a back pack guy but do have a roll on suitcase for when I did biz travel but this is like razors

why backpacks more comfy to have it on me than pull it behind and when not as full will be smaller
and squishy so can shove it into spots easier
downside is harder to live out of it when in a room so hard wins here its easier to pull clothes out of a regular suit case and keeps the clothes in better shape and more neat

so really pros cons based on destination and intention of trip
short biz trip regular roll on
travel leisure for sure backpack

enjoy the trip :) sounds like a fun time

OH the 8 hour I used to have to do Maui to Florida every 8 weeks just for the weekend that was a LONG trip
going to Micronesia also insane long and being from Maui when I used to travel a lot everything was LONG so reading or computer watching your own movies is the only thing for that and wearing super comfy clothes that have some stretch as many clothes do these days and can still look good :) like good hiking clothing REI stuff but that again is personal choice:)

Last edited:
I have a large backpack that I have used many times for traveling. It allows me to keep my hands free and holds everything I need for more than a week of travel. It has pockets that allows me to separate items. For example, all toiletries go in one pocket.

I haven't used a backpack since I did hiking in my schooldays: for carry on I have the largest version that the airlines allow (I don't consider the likes of Ryanair in this) which carries toiletries, shaving tackle, and for my 5 day trips to Dubai (8 hour flight) I can get 4 shirts, underwear, a casual shirt for breakfast at the hotel (I hate going through the day smelling of fried eggs so I never wear the day shirt), my suit trousers and work shoes. On the plane I wear slip-on Skechers and chinos, and the suit jacket, which the crew hang during the flight. I also carry a laptop in a soft leather briefcase with handles long enough to be able to slip over the carry on handle when towing it through the terminal.

I still use the same bag for shorter trips: there is just less stuff in it, and for longer holidays when I have a check-in bag, but I'll usually carry some of the wife's stuff in it.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
It's funny you mentioned Ryanair, @Rushman2112 . That is the airline we're flying from Porto to Faro. We'll have to check the bags with them. Their luggage policy seemed a bit too restrictive.

Grew up traveling with large backpacks, had a kid and rollers all the way. Once kid flies the coop, backpacks till the end. Congrats on your big trip, you are going to have a blast!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
A question for my frequent and/or international travelers. Please feel free to add ANY plane/travel hacks you find helpful.

In just over 2 weeks I'll be departing for my first trip overseas. Portugal here I come. I've traveled throughout the United States and have no questions or concerns about that. However, I do wonder what you all use when traveling further abroad. I'll be using my carryon size suitcase with wheels and a small backpack for my "personal item'. I have no concerns about packing, I am certain I'll be able to fit everything I need. Whole we will be moving around a bit, everywhere we are staying has a washer.

Mrs. Chef has purchased a travel backpack. I think that's great and I understand her reasons. Hands free, no worries about cobblestones, yada-yada. As far as my wheels are concerned I'm not too worried as we'll be using taxis/Uber to get from airports/train stations to lodging and we'll be renting a car for several days while exploring the Algarve. (I do have my worries about LOTH getting everything into her pack, she may surprise me...)

We are carryon only from the US to Lisbon. Checked bags from Porto to Faro. Carryon bags when traveling by rail.

So mostly out of curiosity, how do you roll? Are you a backpacker? Are you a roller? Do you have any insights/suggestions to make an 8+ hour flight a little more pleasant? Other thoughts or input?

Thanks for the read and your comments!
Chef:
The Mrs. and I are 'rollers'. :thumbsup:
proxy.php
"I love [traveling]. I've been to almost as many places as my luggage [garment] bags". Bob Hope

The little wheels on those rolling suitcases are only suitable for very smooth surfaces. Another idea is to take a folding luggage cart with telescoping handle that will allow you to carry two bags at a time. They are fairly sturdy.

Travel backpacks are OK if you are traveling light. Really not suitable for actual hiking and camping use, though. Too many compromises.

It's funny you mentioned Ryanair, @Rushman2112 . That is the airline we're flying from Porto to Faro. We'll have to check the bags with them. Their luggage policy seemed a bit too restrictive.
I've only flown them a few times - they get bad-mouthed but people expect full service on a low-cost carrier. The carry on rules are restrictive though.

I do quite some overnighters for business so I slimmed down my carry-on considerably to one small soft bag. Please take no offense but many people get on board with the biggest roller allowed in the cabin plus an overstuffed backpack/shopper plus all they got at duty free and wonder why there is no room in the overhead bins…

For checked-in I usually take the biggest 4 wheeler allowed but on the other hand if you rent a (budget) car and have two of those monsters it might get tricky with the trunk.

Ryan Air has the funniest stories about luggage and extra fees so read carefully what goes with your ticket otherwise they make you pay through the nose.

I envy your trip to Portugal it has been on my bucket list for a long time.

Last edited:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Be very careful with the check in procedure, boarding passes, size of carry on luggage etc. as the Ryanair system is designed to trip you up so you incur additional fees at the airport. They are the worst budget airline I have ever used; I would prefer to pay more to use another airline but at regional UK airports there is often no other option. Enjoy your trip 👍

Whenever I would go on 3-5 day work trips I would bring everything in a backpack. That way I wouldn't have to wait at baggage claim to get my stuff, instead I could go straight to the taxi line and move on.

Then Covid hit and AirCanada became notorious for leaving bags behind. Now everyone packs carry on bags and sometimes you're forced to check regardless.

Along my travels I've also met people that really don't bring anything. They get on the plane with the clothes they're wearing, then go and buy everything they need for the trip when they get there.

I have not checked a bag in a very long time, even for long overseas trips. For international travel, I've used wheeled luggage, travel backpacks, and hybrid wheeled travel backpacks. I don't do the hybrid wheeled travel backpacks anymore due to the bags themselves being too bulky (hard to combine both the structure needed for wheels and backpack straps without adding bulk).

My current "go to" is usually my Osprey travel backpack, especially if I know I'm going to have to do a fair bit of walking with my luggage outside the airport, like changing trains or just walking through a city. The other benefit is that there's been a couple times on smaller planes for regional flights where they've made everyone check all bags that had wheels, even if they were within their normal dimensional requirements. In both cases, my wife's wheeled luggage was not any bigger than my travel pack, but she had to check her bag and I didn't. In these cases the overhead bins were pretty small and I could see that any type of rigid structure would have made it difficult or even impossible to fit in the overhead bin, so I understand why they did that. As it was, I really had to shove my pack into the compartment.

Hope you have a great trip!!!

I should have added our backpacks are medium sized Dana Design from back when. They are hiking packs and perfect for wrinkling everything evenly lol 😂. Low maintenance and easily carried for a month in Guatemala. Eagle Creek for our rollers now that we are much less low maintenance. Cheers and good day everyone!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Or...you could be like this guy to avoid baggage fees...wear all your clothes on the flight. 🤣

1704669528080.jpeg

proxy.php
"People are here because they've got baggage. I'm talking curbside-check-in, pay-the-fine-'cause-it's-over-fifty-pounds kind of baggage. Get it?" Lauren Kate

Last edited:
Be very careful with the check in procedure, boarding passes, size of carry on luggage etc. as the Ryanair system is designed to trip you up so you incur additional fees at the airport. They are the worst budget airline I have ever used; I would prefer to pay more to use another airline but at regional UK airports there is often no other option. Enjoy your trip 👍
I don't know if they still do, but a few years back my brother got stiffed at the airport checking in as he had not checked in on-line before going to the airport. It begs the question if you check in on-line at home, why can't they send the plane to collect you?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I don't know if they still do, but a few years back my brother got stiffed at the airport checking in as he had not checked in on-line before going to the airport. It begs the question if you check in on-line at home, why can't they send the plane to collect you?
Ryanair check in is made more difficult if you have not booked direct with Ryanair, but have instead used a reseller. The problem is that the reseller uses their own email address and credit card to make the booking which the traveler then cannot verify during the check in. When attempting to use the Ryanair app to check in, your booking is not recognised and they require you to complete a lengthy form, upload scans of your passport, and also a head shot taken using the app on your mobile, before they will allow check in. This procedure is required in full for both outward and return flights. It can be very frustrating to spend hours of a holiday trying to check in for a return flight, often in an area with poor mobile reception. Of course you can pay the check in fee at the airport for a mere £55 per person, each way. I am not aware of any other airlines which have such problems with third party bookings.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
We traveled to Indonesia twice last year... and will be returning this year next month.... One flight will be 12 or 13 hours and the other one around 8 or 9... Each way.

I would make sure I had these two items with me.

1. Amazon.com - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LB7REFK?th=1

2. Amazon.com - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08K73WDWW/

We're both 70 now.... OK... my wife doesn't turn 70 until the 12th of this month.... but no more backpacks for us. I do have a small photo gear backpack for my laptop and I love the 4 wheel suitcases. They make everything easier... long layovers with the carry-ons and transporting luggage in and out of the airports.

Top Bottom