What's new

Muscle memory vs thinking

I have been using the same razor (23C) for the past 5 years or more. When I started shaving I have a few nicks here and there but quickly got my form down to were no nicks and everything was going swell. Fast forward to 2024. I started having to stay at my fire station for all my on call hours so I thought ill find a travel razor for ease of storage in my foot locker. I first tried to shave with the travel size kit at home and had a few nicks and bad razor burn. Thought it was the razor head. Tried the Merkur head with the small handle and still bad burn. I watched a couple videos and said I am do ATG wrong so I started focusing on doing it correctly. I eliminated the burn but lots of knicks. I decided the travel handle is just too small for my monkey paws. I was stationed in quarters since Thursday evening till this morning at 6. I decided to take my 23C with and use my traditional kit to do my shaving needs his weekend to try and have a great weekend with a great shave. I started my WTG and no issues. I then started my ATG and I started to think of how am I supposed to hold the razor correctly instead of just shaving. Well you just guess how that shave went. I was sitting in my office reading the posts and then thought. Am I overthinking my shaving instead of just letting myself shave the way I always have. I am sure many of you who have been shaving for multiple years or decades don't even think twice about how you hold the razor, or what angle you hold the razor to your face. You just do it.

A great shaver is like a great barista, NBA player, or violinist. Pure muscle memory. There is no such thing as over thinking shaving. If you are not thinking about your shaving technique 14-17 hours per day, your next shave may result in ripping a quarter of your face off and bleeding out, naked, alone, in the bathroom. Shaving is a dangerous game. A wrong hold, a poorly mixed cream, a wayward pimple...well we have lost many in our ranks here, never stop thinking about shaving.

Always remember the shaving creed: “THIS IS MY RAZOR. THERE ARE MANY LIKE IT BUT THIS ONE’S MINE. MY RAZOR IS MY BEST FRIEND. IT IS MY LIFE. I MUST MASTER IT AS I MUST MASTER MY LIFE."

Pretty much. I dialed in a 23c knock off I think. Got a Fatip and did the same. Got bored and started with straights. Got a gem to see what it was about on lazy days I didn’t want to use a straight. Didn’t touch a DE for a decade or so at least.

Picked up a tech to see what they’re about. It wasn’t great, left a bunch of stubble. Within a week of use I was getting effortless BBS by riding the cap. Different razors require differing technique sometimes, but it’s all technique. Once you work through the various stages and get to unconscious competence… it’s all muscle memory.

Unconscious incompetence= you don’t know what you don’t know

Conscious incompetence= you know what you don’t know and begin learning that

Conscious competence= you have to pay attention to do the things you know.

Unconscious competence= you can do the thing without thinking about it

Don't over think it.....if you have been doing OK for a while....., just don't think you are in a new place, use the same stuff if possible.......otherwise......just go for DFS with another razor (cheap one?). Those EJ 89 clones are cheap and good.

Top Bottom