What's new

Razor theft by TSA or airline baggage handler (False alarm - they are good people)

I traveled to France back in May with my Whipped Dog no-name straight in my checked bag for this very reason.
Imagine if you'd been traveling with a nice (high-dollar) custom!
If they were in fact the victim of thieves, I hope they cut themselves badly. I hate thieves.

Brutal, I always travel with a cheap razor, theft never really occurred to me, more due to Air Canada being notorious for losing bags.

I hope you either find your razors or get some sort of compensation for the loss.

Straights, knives, and even firearms can be transported in check through luggage. There is a protocol for doing so however
Absolutely. And the protocol is not that hard.
From the TSA site:
In general, you are prohibited from traveling with sharp objects in your carry-on baggage; please pack these items in your checked baggage. Scissors with blades smaller than 4 inches, small needles carried for special medical needs, and other sharp objects that do not contain a blade may be placed in carry-on baggage.

Any sharp objects placed in carry-on or checked baggage should be properly sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to TSOs and baggage handlers.

Even if an item is generally permitted, it may be subject to additional screening or not allowed through the checkpoint if it triggers an alarm during the screening process, appears to have been tampered with, or poses other security concerns. The final decision rests with TSA on whether to allow any items on the plane.

So in my case, they each had a slot in a special shaving leather case.
$travel_kit.jpg
So I think I was well within "my understanding of the rules". And, it was not the first time I travel with that set-up too.

Nevertheless, if I could print, I'd wrap a print-out of the rule around my Joseph Elliot for my trip back tomorrow.
In the future, I'll go with a Gold Dollar as was so wisely suggested here.
Still though, I paid $25 for my modified Gold Dollar. I have yet to make one Shave ready. Even if the razor is $5, it still takes some effort to get it there.

You know,it all boils down to what guy gets your bag....It looks like the TSA rules posted above "should" allow a straight,but you are really taking a chance on the individuals interpretation of the rules...The guys are correct,if you must take one,take a cheapo ! Sorry you lost yours..

Please ignore the less than gentlemanly commentary about TSA employees.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ9O9HDhgjQ

:thumbdown

There are plenty of ways to secure items in luggage. This is not one of them. The guy doesn't even put the lock through the metal zippers or anything. All of these items can be cut free with scissors and stolen easy peasy. Nevertheless, I won't travel with any of these expensive items. The camera on the other hand, might be something I'd be concerned about checking, I'd put it in my carry-on if it were permitted.

Funny thing... I almost always have an injection on me when I fly (not an epipen, a proper injection). Not once has anyone looked for it, or stopped to ask me about it. They have stopped me about the metal in my knee brace, but never about the injection.

That's horrible. Even worse, the scum that took it likely doesn't even know what he/she took (not that it matters either way).

I'm always paranoid with what I pack for shaving supplies. This story is a good warning to many of us.

From my experience with airline traveling, I don't bother with the lock to prevent theft. Already had thieves breaking the lock and you just end up with suitcases that can't be closed anymore. Best to leave it unlocked and have nothing in there that is worth stealing. Thieves at the airport are just too organized. If they want to, they get to your luggage.

Legion

Staff member
When I was travelling around the US I twice had my suitcase arrive missing its padlocks. My contents were in place, and the reason is (I believe) because as well as the lock I also put a small ziptie through the zippers. A lock can be quickly removed, especially if you have the TSA master key, but a ziptie? Those things are a pest unless you have a knife or pair of scissors right at hand. As the bags whizzed down the convenor belt I reckon my zipties made my bag a PITA, and they threw them back and went into the next bag, because both times my locks were gone the ties were still there, and so was my stuff.

I still only fly with a GD, though.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I don't know if this will help you or not but when I flew back from Oz, I made some inquiries with the air carrier about the checked-in luggage and how it works. In the end, it was a real nightmare as I had to take an insurance from the country of origin but since I wasn't a resident of that country, I couldn't insure those items. Then, I inquired to have an insurance from my destination (home country) and was told that I needed the items to be evaluated (my straights were falling into the collector items thingny).

Also, the air carrier was saying that the airport has the airport employee manipulating the luggage, not the airline directly, so I had to take any claim with the airport not them. Maybe I wasn't properly advised on it but anyway. I ended up taking one of those insurances that were for up to $1000 no questions asked. It costed a fortune but nothing went missing. The $1000 wouldn't probably not cover the stuff inside the luggage but anyways. I also mailed a few items in a few different parcels in case one get lost, I wouldn't loose everything.

Lucky me, I did not loose a single thing during that transfer except a bottle of Brut that leaked. I now know to properly tape my bottles!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
We got a list in wiki called Air Travel for the prohibited items and what can you do to (legally) have some blades at your destination.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Sadly ,it is illegal to travel with a straight,even in checked bags.

Sorry but that is horse hockey. You can travel with a gun in your checked bag if you declare it. Knives? No problem. A razor? LOL! Of course you can carry a whole duffle bag full of razors as checked luggage.

Just thought of something....when TSA goes into your luggage "officially" they leave a written notice (about the size of a postcard) in the bag telling you they were in there. Did you get one ??

Top Bottom