What's new

Post Your Pictures: Japanese Razors

Stephan, I'm sure you recognize several of them. Western Iwasakis? I can dream on I guess

Thanks Dan, I do like them. I saw you had some hayashi 1/4 grinds for sale, how do you like the shave?
My daily driver is the somewhat beat up Feon, which holds an edge for a looong time.
Yes a few are very familiar.
Western Iwasakis are well something really special.

I'm new to straights & I guess I got "the itch".
I'm wanting a Japanese razor, but I see that one can spend as much as one wants on one.
Does anyone here have any knowledge of a Hayashi (Tokyo)?
thanks for any help.

So many beautiful razors in here, I think this thread has forced me to go into straight razor acquisition mode. I have to own a Japanese straight since my feather DE blades and AC SS have treated me so well already. What's the best bet for something middle of the road price and quality wise in a western style Japanese straight?

Tosuke 2:
:)

Attachments

• $5371493A-1EE9-48D8-9609-91F99878A10A-5421-000002687DC4269F_zpsfd9d4b1b.jpg
    $5371493A-1EE9-48D8-9609-91F99878A10A-5421-000002687DC4269F_zpsfd9d4b1b.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 344
I'm new to straights & I guess I got "the itch".
I'm wanting a Japanese razor, but I see that one can spend as much as one wants on one.
Does anyone here have any knowledge of a Hayashi (Tokyo)?
thanks for any help.

They are great razors, and becoming highly sought after (that said, I tried to sell two in the BST a while back and didn't have any takers, bad timing I guess).

Got this one done today, not sure what the brand is.
Original restore , the tang is stamped "tamahagane" . The tamahagane stamped razors are all made from factory steel that, my guess is, is similar to the real stuff in composition. So far all that I have seen have hamon, so I thought I'd polish by hand and etch to see what kind of hamon will show up.
I did minimal buffing on the blade, most of the work was done by hand with Jnat slurries and the 1k/2k/10k WA powder, and finally metal polish.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Got this one done today, not sure what the brand is.
Original restore , the tang is stamped "tamahagane" . The tamahagane stamped razors are all made from factory steel that, my guess is, is similar to the real stuff in composition. So far all that I have seen have hamon, so I thought I'd polish by hand and etch to see what kind of hamon will show up.
I did minimal buffing on the blade, most of the work was done by hand with Jnat slurries and the 1k/2k/10k WA powder, and finally metal polish.
Nice looking razor Stefan but the tang does not say tamahagane (玉鋼). It says 宝剣 as an apparent model name and is not a reference to steel composition. Perhaps the H.Y.S. refers to Hayashi?

Nice looking razor Stefan but the tang does not say tamahagane (玉鋼). It says 宝剣 as an apparent model name and is not a reference to steel composition. Perhaps the H.Y.S. refers to Hayashi?
The small stamp on the very end of the tang has 3 kanji, not very well defined the middle one is the one that looks like the second kanji of Tamahagane. The first kanji on the stamp a bit hard to tell but it resembles the first tamahagane kanji. I can't remember seeing any other stamp there than a tamahagane one.
In any case the hamon looks interesting, I am almost certain that H.Y.S means Hitachi Yasugi Steel.

Last edited:
The small stamp on the very end of the tang has 3 kanji, not very well defined the middle one is the one that looks like the second kanji of Tamahagane. The first kanji on the stamp a bit hard to tell but it resembles the first tamahagane kanji. I can't remember seeing any other stamp there than a tamahagane one.
In any case the hamon looks interesting, I am almost certain that H.Y.S means Hitachi Yasugi Steel.
Ah, I thought you were talking about the main engraving. The photos don't show the other marks well enough, but if you have photos, I can confirm. I don't know terribly much about the razor industry but have no problem with reading kanji.

http://sekaiisan.biz/?p=818 shows a small stamp kanji that is 紅葉. My HYS guess was random, so you might be right.

Ah, I thought you were talking about the main engraving. The photos don't show the other marks well enough, but if you have photos, I can confirm. I don't know terribly much about the razor industry but have no problem with reading kanji.

http://sekaiisan.biz/?p=818 shows a small stamp kanji that is 紅葉. My HYS guess was random, so you might be right.
Yes looks like it, so it is the brand.

Nice razor! I think these were made from very pure steel, so they are very shallow hardening. Thats why they have hamon despite they werent meant to have one, but this one looks very nice.

Here's a pic of the only Japanese razor in my small collection. I got it from a member here as NOS.
I've never shaved with it as it's been the most expensive so far. I'm debating on whether to keep it & try a more "custom" razor like a Wacker or BB. Comments?
$IMG_0383[1].jpg$IMG_0384[1].jpg$IMG_0385[1].jpg$IMG_0386[1].jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom