What's new

Post Your Pictures: Japanese Razors

Very old AZUMA kamisori.
Don't know if I'll ever shave with this one.

$IMG_6490.jpg$IMG_7522.jpg

I just went through this thread, again. That's a dangerous thing to do. The sweet stench of JRAD is corrupting my brain.

I posted this elsewhere but it was ignored...I guess my choices are a bit too cliche?

Tosuke:
proxy.php

Henkotsu:
proxy.php

Iwasaki:
proxy.php

One thing that surprises me is that there's rather little information available online about even the best known makers. The only thing known about some of them is that they're known. Iwasaki/Mizuochi is a bit less of a mystery, but I've been struggling to dredge up some information on Henkotsu, other than some barbers used them.

The uninformed iconoclast in me wants to not like the Iwasaki because it's what all the posers with too much money and a bushido fetish get, but it actually seems like a pretty excellent razor. Damn.:blush:

I love it! my traditional kamisories are the same make. iwasaki is a great razor and only overpriced if youre buying from the wrong seller. they can be had in the 2-300 range so its not as bad.

All 3 are great shavers and definitely a step up from the other makers traditional kamisori i've tried

Drive-by kamisori. Another Henkotsu...different from the one I posted before. I love the distinctive Henkotsu shape...wish I could find a custom maker to make me a modern one.

proxy.php

proxy.php

MileMarker60 (Brian Brown) on here has made custom kamisori's before. Maybe get in touch with him.

I'm sure there are others who do them but it's the first name that came to mind for me.

Wonderful razor by the way. I've got a Henkotsu too and it'd fantastic to shave with.

I enjoy collecting the Japanese Western style straights. I have obtained a few examples over the past few years, and finally got around to snapping some photos. A lot of the razors I purchased from Telly, I miss having him around the forum.

Coral, Daishi tamahagane, Feather, Feon, Hairop:

$Coral b.jpg$Daishi tamahagane (4).jpg$Feather.jpg$Feon 172.jpg$Hairop 472 FBU (2).jpg

Hayashi Diamond 30 black diamond, H Diamond 40 tiger, H Diamond 120 faux tortoise, H Diamond 120 red, Hishihoshi 350

$Hayashi Diamond 30 black diamond (1).jpg$Hayashi Diamond 40 tiger a.jpg$Hayashi Diamond 120 faux tortoise (2).jpg$Hayashi Diamond 120 red (1).jpg$Hishihoshi 350 b.jpg

First person to hand over any of the above beauts to me gets a free ice cream coupon at McDonalds or Wendys, your choice, but you can only get one..

I really need to get my hands on one of these razors, I am unsure whether to get a Kamisori type or just a traditional frame back, leaning towards a Kamisori but the price differences scare me away because I think the $150 models are going to be bad, because similar razors are $1000+

Ahhhh, decisions, decisions.

Stephan, I'm sure you recognize several of them. Western Iwasakis? I can dream on I guess

Thanks Dan, I do like them. I saw you had some hayashi 1/4 grinds for sale, how do you like the shave?
My daily driver is the somewhat beat up Feon, which holds an edge for a looong time.

I enjoy collecting the Japanese Western style straights. I have obtained a few examples over the past few years, and finally got around to snapping some photos. A lot of the razors I purchased from Telly, I miss having him around the forum.

Coral, Daishi tamahagane, Feather, Feon, Hairop:

View attachment 310703View attachment 310704View attachment 310705View attachment 310706View attachment 310707
I really like that Feather. Is the spine really that thick on the Coral?

Top Bottom