What's new

Post your local/flea market stone scores. (There's none left. Tim found them all.)

If I were Tim, I'd be terrified if there was ever a need for a homeowners claim.

I'm sorry sir, what is this $1million dollar loss claim for "rocks"? You mean diamonds? No. Rocks. Like rare fossils? Nope... sharpening rocks.

The best rock$. Orthogonal rock$.

But then the insurer asks to review the receipts.

Well, sure, the cast iron... But will his forklifts be in the estate sale as well.

IMG_5893.jpeg

Upper right is what I suspect to be a little 2x3 Queer Creek axe stone. There is a little sparkle in the surface.

Left is a modern Norton Pike Clear Creek, lighter colored and coarser than the axe stone. No sparkle.
Lower left is a Smith's soft ark, just for color comparison.

I picked it up in a timber town, tucked away in the mountains.

It is diagonally dished on one side, pretty flat on the other. The guy always used the one side, it seems.

IMG_5902.jpeg
IMG_5903.jpeg

IMG_5904.jpeg

Last edited:

timwcic

"Look what I found"
This was another flea market rescue. A new seller had a box of stones for me to go thru. Carbo, Carbo, Carbo, Carbo, Carbo, Carbo, Carbo, orphan Coticule, Carbo, Carbo, Carbo, Carbo, Carbo, orphan BBW. Both were priced the same at $5 each. Picked them up and they fit together like Cinderellas slipper. Showed the seller the fit and resin remaining on both pieces while explaining what happened to cause them to separate. Told the seller that I normally wouldn’t do this but I will pay his ask on both pieces. Gave him the cash and he thanked me, yes he thanked me for buying his merchandise. Many members over the years asked what’s my secret. This is one. This seller wont show no stones until I see them first because of are first meeting. I could have got them for $5 cheaper, but why??? Sellers hate being beat up. There are times when to ask “will you accept” and than there are times to pony up

A7FAD9E0-F7D0-4E75-8D5B-041B90561C6A.png
566C11A4-EBD0-4E59-A079-DE7094C2C6D2.png
5CA858C2-D358-4C43-B30A-0C983420B133.png

A cute little Norton penknife piece, SP-13, from a place out in the countryside I hadn't visited before.

If I wanted to splurge they had a couple big hand-driven sharpening/grinding wheels. The finer grit was about a foot and a half in diameter, poorly mounted in a decrepit frame. The coarser stone was well over 2 feet in diameter but just sitting loose with a hand crank firmly attached.

A 1"x3" piece of trans ark seemed like something I would actually use. These 'penknife' rocks (now labeled HB13) are still readily available new at 4 or 5 times what this one cost me.

Chamfered and cleaned up a little:
IMG_6161.jpeg

IMG_6162.jpeg

The very first stone I ever found in the wild was a Turkish Oilstone; quite a few years ago in rural South Australia, before I even knew what one was. Since then I’ve had many from ebay, FB Marketplace, Gumtree, &c., I’ve swapped for them, and I’ve bought a number of modern Cretan stones too.

But from memory I think this is only the second old Turkey Stone I’ve found in person. Half a world away in a south Devon fishing village this afternoon. And like that first one - it’s an extremely consistent stone, in very good condition. :)

IMG_4415.jpeg

IMG_4419.jpeg

IMG_4418.jpeg

Great score. It must have been the leather jacket sending off the Turkish vibes.

Always nice to find an old Turkish, I have a very big soft spot for them as you know. And now that you mention it; it does go rather well with the leather jacket, doesn’t it!

I don't want to re-ignite a debate that I understand people are somewhat weary of in regards to razors, but this has something I've seen quite a few times before, and always on stones that belonged to woodworkers. This Turkey was sitting in a big box of old chisels and saws and stuff, and I've had the same before on Indias and Washitas that I know previously belonged to woodworkers: It is intentionally concaved one side, and convexed the other. Only slightly, so a bit tricky to take pictures of, but it's definitely there and it's definitely on purpose.

IMG_4426.jpg

IMG_4427.jpg

Now obviously that could just be for sharpening different types of tool, depending on that person's personal preference. But might another explanation be that the sides could've been used for the same type of tool, and the difference being whether it was used for rip or cross cutting?

I know sod all about woodworking, so I've no idea if it'd make a difference. Though I think you're fairly nifty aren't you, whaddya reckon the reason is?

(Also calling any other woodworking n stone types... @captaincaed @timwcic @Legion @H Brad Boonshaft @musicman980).

Last edited:
The very first stone I ever found in the wild was a Turkish Oilstone; quite a few years ago in rural South Australia, before I even knew what one was. Since then I’ve had many from ebay, FB Marketplace, Gumtree, &c., I’ve swapped for them, and I’ve bought a number of modern Cretan stones too.

But from memory I think this is only the second old Turkey Stone I’ve found in person. Half a world away in a south Devon fishing village this afternoon. And like that first one - it’s an extremely consistent stone, in very good condition. :)

View attachment 1822492

View attachment 1822493

View attachment 1822494

the size and cut on that looks a lot like my boxed labeled Turkey stone. Mine is very fine for a turkey too. Only the bottom of mine was natural with some skin.

looks a lot like my boxed labeled Turkey stone.

I was actually going to say exactly ^this^ originally. Having now cleaned it up, lapped one side properly, and tried out - I’m pretty sure it’s the same type that TH&Co (and possibly Pike) used to sell.

I’ll post some pics and a little more about it in the Turkey Stone thread in a bit.

What size is yours btw…?

Last edited:
I was actually going to say exactly ^this^ originally. Having now cleaned it up, lapped one side properly, and tried out - I’m pretty sure it’s the same type that TH&Co (and possibly Pike) used to sell.

I’ll post some pics and a little more about it in the Turkey Stone thread in a bit.

What size is yours btw…?

It is like 52.3mm x 208mm pretty much 8”x2”.

Who knows they may have had 6,7 and 8”. Not enough examples to compare

Aye, I’m sure they did all sorts of sizes. And given the look, hardness, and purity/consistency - I’d guess it probably was a TH&Co. It certainly looks and sounds like a number of other examples I’ve seen pics of… but who knows eh!

I imagine the TH&Co. type stones were brought in on exactly the same boats, in the same barrels as others, and sold by all sorts of other companies too. I presume it’s just a grading thing(?)

Legion

Staff member
Always nice to find an old Turkish, I have a very big soft spot for them as you know. And now that you mention it; it does go rather well with the leather jacket, doesn’t it!

I don't want to re-ignite a debate that I understand people are somewhat weary of in regards to razors, but this has something I've seen quite a few times before, and always on stones that belonged to woodworkers. This Turkey was sitting in a big box of old chisels and saws and stuff, and I've had the same before on Indias and Washitas that I know previously belonged to woodworkers: It is intentionally concaved one side, and convexed the other. Only slightly, so a bit tricky to take pictures of, but it's definitely there and it's definitely on purpose.

View attachment 1822575

View attachment 1822576

Now obviously that could just be for sharpening different types of tool, depending on that person's personal preference. But might another explanation be that the sides could've been used for the same type of tool, and the difference being whether it was used for rip or cross cutting?

I know sod all about woodworking, so I've no idea if it'd make a difference. Though I think you're fairly nifty aren't you, whaddya reckon the reason is?

(Also calling any other woodworking n stone types... @captaincaed @timwcic @Legion @H Brad Boonshaft @musicman980).
OK, so for what it's worth, here is my theory on that.

So back in the day, "flatness" on a new stone was obtained in the factory by using loose sand on a flattish surface. And, as we know, like SIC powder, flattening with sand causes slight convexity.

SO. My belief is that the concave side is caused by usual tool wear on the stone, and the convex side is the side that has never been used and has lived inside a wooden box all its life. In short, both sides were a little convex when the stone was new. Jarrod just let out a little shudder of joy.

calling any other woodworking n stone types.
My first instinct would be the same as Legion.

But if you’re convinced the complementary concave convex faces are by design, I could see that being handy for a draw knife. You’d want a fine enough edge to justify a Turkey stone. Could be used for a scythe but why would you go that fine? Otherwise I’d need to ponder a bit more.

OK, so for what it's worth, here is my theory on that.

So back in the day, "flatness" on a new stone was obtained in the factory by using loose sand on a flattish surface. And, as we know, like SIC powder, flattening with sand causes slight convexity.

SO. My belief is that the concave side is caused by usual tool wear on the stone, and the convex side is the side that has never been used and has lived inside a wooden box all its life. In short, both sides were a little convex when the stone was new. Jarrod just let out a little shudder of joy.
My first instinct would be the same as Legion.

But if you’re convinced the complementary concave convex faces are by design, I could see that being handy for a draw knife. You’d want a fine enough edge to justify a Turkey stone. Could be used for a scythe but why would you go that fine? Otherwise I’d need to ponder a bit more.

The stones I'm talking about which I've had like this are 110% definitely and without a doubt; intentionally convexed on one side, and they've definitely also been used on that side.

Most have been old synths as well. And trying to flatten an India stone on loose sand would be an exercise in Sisyphean futility!

Last edited:
Top Bottom