What's new

Post your local/flea market stone scores. (There's none left. Tim found them all.)

It's rare for me to find any kind of natural stone in the wild. This dude was high on everything except this "smooth stone".
I should have tried to get him down from the five bucks he was asking and I gave him.

It's about 4 3/8" x 2 3/16" x 15/16".
Looks like maybe some stamp left on the face? Seems like I can make out a 7, maybe just my imagination.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
That looks really nice. Spray some simple green on the face and then wipe it off. I’ve had a few stamps appear from nowhere after doing that.

This one is little finer than my La Rose and slower. Has kind of a glass or porcelain like feedback to it. Light brown color, with a little of that red blush. Anyone know the layer?

I need to find a coticule or something like that for a finisher.. Aren't some of them that fine of a grit or is my lack of knowledge showing again ?? I desperately need something else other than just the adaee 12k that I just got the other day.... I am trying to learn to do my own razor honing but I don't have anyone local to show me so I am trying to do it on my own... I also am one of those people who doesnt have a large budget to just order a stone and am trying to find one "in the wild" .

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to find a coticule or something like that for a finisher.. Aren't some of them that fine of a grit or is my lack of knowledge showing again ?? I desperately need something else other than just the adaee 12k that I just got the other day.... I am trying to learn to do my own razor honing but I don't have anyone local to show me so I am trying to do it on my own... I also am one of those people who doesnt have a large budget to just order a stone and am trying to find one "in the wild" .
Watch the bst thread. Any seller on there has most likely used the specific stone they're selling a lot and will be honest about it most likely.

Watch the bst thread. Any seller on there has most likely used the specific stone they're selling a lot and will be honest about it most likely.
Thanks...I will keep an eye on there. I mean I think I may have worded my previous post a little wonky . I think I'm gonna get okay edges from the 12k I have.. I know it came off like I was in a hurry to find something , but what I meant was that I was curious of the opinions of if you guys thought I needed a coticule or a synthetic or something like that for a finisher.. I have heard of others getting a good edge off of a Cnat 12k and was just asking for thoughts..

Last edited:
I think I'm gonna get okay edges from the 12k I have..
Jaro, I think we arent entirely sure what you are after.

Do you want to be able to set a bevel and work upward to shave ready or do you just want to maintain edges on shave ready razors?

If you want to be able to start from scratch you will need more than your adaee cnat and a Coticule. You'll need a bevel setter like a 1k-3k synthetic or a Belgian blue. You could follow up with a Coticule. Coticules have quite a range, going from about 6k to 10k, depending on slurry concentration.

If you want to be able to make the Gold Dollar of your youtube video sharper, I would start from bevel set and work my way up.
BUT you already own the 12k adaee. So, before going on a buying spree, try taking it for 100 laps on the adaee with water and lather, strop on linnen, strop on leather and see if it improves. Use zero pressure on all these steps!

If it doesn't, by all means look for extra stones.
Warning: I have been on my own honing quest and have a accumulated 3 naturals, a barber hone and 3 synthetics in 2 months time. I'm also talking to a guy as we speak about taking over his Escher.
I started doing this with the idea of spending as little as possible. It can't be done with stones, they cost money - unless you are lucky enough to stumble on a great deal. If you do chose this route, think carefully about the stones you want. Ask advice, like you are. But take your time to think things through.

If you want an affordable way, I hear film is a great alternative. But thats unchartered territory to me.

There is always the option to get your razor(s) honed by a pro. Get two, send one to refresh the edge and use the other while waiting.

PS like I said I am new to this, so if any experienced member think I said something wrong, please correct me. I am not trying to misinform, I am trying to help with what I have picked up so far.

Good luck!

Jaro, I think we arent entirely sure what you are after.

Do you want to be able to set a bevel and work upward to shave ready or do you just want to maintain edges on shave ready razors?

If you want to be able to make the Gold Dollar of your youtube video sharper,

Good luck!
Sorry for a few misunderstandings, I have lower stones already up to 8k and then it skips to the 12 k. I also have a franz swatty barber hone also.. I am still trying to work out how to get the bevel set correctly.. i am still struggling with that.. I was mainly asking if others thought what I currently have is enough....

What video are you refering to?? I havent posted a gold dollar video.

Thanks..

What video are you refering to?? I havent posted a gold dollar video.
Sorry, I was mixing your post up with someone else's.

Which synthetics are you using?
I ask because I went with cheap amazon waterstones that arent actually the grit they set out to be.

If your 8k is indeed an 8k, I dont see how the cnat wouldn't be able to polish up that edge. But again, not every cnat is 12k. Try using the 8k as a finisher, try the cnat the day after to see if there is any difference. If the edge hasnt improved in the feel departement or if you dont see a better polished edge through a loupe, then another finisher would be welcome. A coticule is one of many options...

I'll leave it to others to recommend you the best finisher after your 8k synth.

If you want to be able to start from scratch you will need more than your adaee cnat and a Coticule. You'll need a bevel setter like a 1k-3k synthetic or a Belgian blue. You could follow up with a Coticule. Coticules have quite a range, going from about 6k to 10k, depending on slurry concentration.
A Coticule with slurry is generally faster than the BBW with slurry. But a BBW can max out at a higher keenness.
If you have a bit of Coticule experience and prefer using naturals, a Coticule can set the bevel all the way up until the finish, it's maybe the most versatile stone out there.

It's also not really possible to put a grit rating on a Coticule. A Coticule on water alone or light slurry will smooth out a synthetic edge nicely; but most Coticule aficionados want that typical Coticule edge and will use a Dilucot or Unicot method and dull the edge on glass before setting the bevel on the Coticule itself on milky slurry, then keep diluting with a drop of water at a time when eventually finishing on plain water.

They take a while to master and to learn your stone. And if you're new to razor sharpening they can seem rather complicated or overwhelming.
Most Coticules on slurry have good speed, on water some become painfully slow, but a few layers remain relatively speedy.
Coticules from different layers have different characteristics, but most all deliver the same end-result, the process may vary a bit just like the stones vary. All Coticules are similar, but yet unique, and that's what you have to find out with yours. But the generel process will be the same on all, with some fine tuning here and there.

That's where experience comes into play, knowing how to assess your edge, know at which step you are in the progression and know how to progress further or go back a step. That's why a synthetic line-up is often recommended to new honers as it it an easy grit rating progression to follow.

Many folks seem black or white about Coticules, some love them, some don't like them.
I've yet to find a stone that puts a more skin friendly edge on my razors than a Coticule.

Last edited:
Sorry, I was mixing your post up with someone else's.

Which synthetics are you using?
I ask because I went with cheap amazon waterstones that arent actually the grit they set out to be.

If your 8k is indeed an 8k, I dont see how the cnat wouldn't be able to polish up that edge. But again, not every cnat is 12k. Try using the 8k as a finisher, try the cnat the day after to see if there is any difference. If the edge hasnt improved in the feel departement or if you dont see a better polished edge through a loupe, then another finisher would be welcome. A coticule is one of many options...

I'll leave it to others to recommend you the best finisher after your 8k synth.
The other stones are the combo synthetic stones. They are not the "high dollar" stones , but I don't think they are the cheapest either. I have had all of the other stones for a while now , but never had anything that could be considered a "finisher" until I got the CNAT during this last week... I am kind of excited about learning how to use the latest stone and seeing if I can finish my own razors. There was someone a while back who offered to let me send my razors to him and that he would get them shave ready and then mail them back to me , BUT , he asked me to wait a little while before i send them to him because he was busy right then. He said he would let me know when he was ready for me to send them but I have not heard from him in a few months.... So I have 4 or 5 or so SR that need to be sharpened so I can use them and I really want to get them done by one of the " Pro's " so that I may only have to " touch them up" and not have to do the whole progression fom bevel set to Shave ready......

A Coticule with slurry is generally faster than the BBW with slurry. But a BBW can max out at a higher keenness.
If you have a bit of Coticule experience and prefer using naturals, a Coticule can set the bevel all the way up until the finish, it's maybe the most versatile stone out there.

It's also not really possible to put a grit rating on a Coticule. A Coticule on water alone or light slurry will smooth out a synthetic edge nicely; but most Coticule aficionados want that typical Coticule edge and will use a Dilucot or Unicot method and dull the edge on glass before setting the bevel on the Coticule itself on milky slurry, then keep diluting with a drop of water at a time when eventually finishing on plain water.

They take a while to master and to learn your stone. And if you're new to razor sharpening they can seem rather complicated or overwhelming.
Most Coticules on slurry have good speed, on water some become painfully slow, but a few layers remain relatively speedy.
Coticules from different layers have different characteristics, but most all deliver the same end-result, the process may vary a bit just like the stones vary. All Coticules are similar, but yet unique, and that's what you have to find out with yours. But the generel process will be the same on all, with some fine tuning here and there.

That's where experience comes into play, knowing how to assess your edge, know at which step you are in the progression and know how to progress further or go back a step. That's why a synthetic line-up is often recommended to new honers as it it an easy grit rating progression to follow.

Many folks seem black or white about Coticules, some love them, some don't like them.
I've yet to find a stone that puts a more skin friendly edge on my razors than a Coticule.
Any recommendatioms on a good entry level coticule...

One of the finest layer in the Coticule realm is currently being mined and should be readily available when you specifically ask for that vein, it's the "La Veinette" vein. You cannot go wrong with that stone and it will do anything from bevel setting to being a superior finisher. You also don't need a big stone, I have used my 100mm x 40mm without a problem and they're relatively budget friendly. I'd say the max size one would ever need is 150mm x 40mm.

Legion

Staff member
I've had probably well over a dozen coticules. Almost all of my favourite "finisher" coticules have been mystery stones I don't know the name of.

If you want one, get one in a size you think you can live with, and learn to get the most out of it.

TBO, I've found a good slate with oil or a good TOS can do the final yards of a coti without the extra working out. But YMMV. I mostly use coticules for the mid range work now.

One of the finest layer in the Coticule realm is currently being mined and should be readily available when you specifically ask for that vein, it's the "La Veinette" vein. You cannot go wrong with that stone and it will do anything from bevel setting to being a superior finisher. You also don't need a big stone, I have used my 100mm x 40mm without a problem and they're relatively budget friendly. I'd say the max size one would ever need is 150mm x 40mm.

Hunting for vintage Coticules is fun, but it may take a while and a bunch of dough to find a great one.

Ardennes-Coticule has La Veinette stones in stock that they sell as Selected Plus. I am getting very nice edges off these stones. If you decide to buy one, email the son Rob and tell him you want a La Veinette that will be good for finishing straight razors.

Coticules are jumping out at me. This junk/tool/antique store find has distinctive markings, so please help me if you have seen something like this before.
>Approximately 6" x 1 1/4" x 13/16"
>Marked 'No. 1 FINE' at the bottom, features an indistinct logo at the top in the form of a circle enclosing a hexagonal 'star'. The words 'IMPORTED BELGIAN RAZOR ???' are printed circularly inside the 'star', encircling an image I can't see clearly.

IMG_3439.jpeg

IMG_3437.jpeg

IMG_3443.jpeg

IMG_3440.jpeg

IMG_3442.jpeg
IMG_3441.jpeg

The top logo, photos tweaked to enhance the image:
IMG_3435.jpeg
IMG_3426.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom