What's new

Porridge, oatmeal, and everything in between

Enjoying this for breakfast, oats in milk served over a generous portion of blueberries:

IMG_4943.JPG

IMG_5207.JPG

Maple syrup makes it into a delicious dessert.

Do you like porridge? Oatmeal? How do you cook it? How do you serve it?

Oh..., so many questions.

So hard to get steel cut oats in non English speaking countries…

I’ll just use flakes. Either simply steeped in milk overnight or cooked in the morning for a proper porridge.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Maple syrup makes it into a delicious dessert.

Or a delicious breakfast! :) We use what used to be called "Grade D" but is now "Canada Grade A Extra Dark." We let the tourists take the thin watery stuff home.

Do you like porridge?

Yes.

Oats, rye, barley, rice, buckwheat, hominy, khorasan; those are the biggies.

How do you cook it?

Well, porridge, eh? We use thin and thick flaked oats, steel cut oats, Scottish oats (which are ground) and oat groats. We also do muesli/soakers, Magic Box oats and baked oatmeal. All of the above in multigrain as well. Hominy grits usually with hot peppers and cheese.

How do you serve it?

My most frequent breakfast is homemade granola with lots of dried and fresh fruits, homemade yogurt. Porridge probably ties for second place with some kind of bread (pancakes, crumpets, English muffins or toast).

O.H.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I'll be the weirdo and throw out savory oats. I'll cook steel cut oats in veggie or chicken stock and play around with the toppings... always topped with a fried egg-

Soy, Sriracha, Radish, Avocado

Cherry Tomatoes, Arugula, Pesto, Parmesan

Bacon, Cheddar

You get me.

Rice porridge AKA Jook In Cantonese. I never had it until I met my wife. Her family keeps it simple then add toppings. It’s really good if you cook the rice with the turkey carcass after thanksgiving. Toppings we use are soy sauce, green onion, pork floss(pork sung or pork Fu) even chopped lettuce. It’s a great meal when you’re not feeling well. We just found this shredded pork at Costco. It is less finely shredded but has the same flavor and half the price of the regular brands.
44EAAAEC-A317-4536-BA83-FF6918BD3EC5.jpeg

Rice porridge AKA Jook In Cantonese.
It's also a good dinner on a cold, wet night. Back when we worked the polls on Election Day, we'd start a batch going in a crock pot before leaving in the morning with just rice, ground turkey and chicken broth. Toppings for me were chopped onions and worcestershire sauce.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Congee. Middle of the winter, man, that's what I want. Rice with lots of water/broth and toppings. Toasted sliced garlic, roasted sesame seeds, whatever else calls to me. Peanuts. Chili sauce. Soy sauce. Fish sauce. Nuoc mam. I don't make it often because getting all the toppings organized is the worst, but I enjoy it when I can get it!

O.H.

I'm a fan of all sorts of porridge although I usually like it on the sweeter side for breakfast (as opposed to savory, although there are occasional exceptions, with grits).

Oatmeal of all sorts, rolled rye, cream of wheat, cracked buckwheat, multigrain porridge, etc. etc. Usually cooked in milk.

For awhile now my favorite way to have cream of wheat is with lavender, walnuts, and raisins, with a bit of honey.

Usually I have oatmeal or rolled rye with some kind of dried fruits and nuts, sweetened with honey or maple syrup, sometimes sorghum syrup, sometimes with brown sugar.

Top Bottom