What's new

Poll: Sexiest car for an old-fashioned man

Thread over!

Jim, that's gotta be the automotive equivalent of Godwin's Law. :lol:

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Um, the new Ferrari Dino, anyone? There is no way an upmarket Ford with an Aston Martin label is this sexy:

proxy.php

Um, the new Ferrari Dino, anyone? There is no way an upmarket Ford with an Aston Martin label is this sexy:

proxy.php

From the angle of the picture, it looks like a Porsche Cayman on steroids. I'm sure it makes nicer sounds, though. :smile:

Ah! Ferrari's.........

I owned a '67 330 GTC just like the one pictured-not quite as nice though. That was around 20-25 years ago. I recall paying 12k US.

The second image is of a Ferrari 246 'Dino' Spyder. I owned one of these, in silver when I was 40 years old which was in 1983. These cars could be had in the 10-15k range back then. Had some 246 coupes as well, one of which I sold to a good friend about that time. He disassembled it hoping to do a high point restoration - I think that it's still apart. I'll give him a call - I'm curious.

Those were great times for enthusiasts - I'm glad to have had the experience.

proxy.php

proxy.php

The second image is of a Ferrari 246 'Dino' Spyder. I owned one of these, in silver when I was 40 years old which was in 1983. These cars could be had in the 10-15k range back then. Had some 246 coupes as well, one of which I sold to a good friend about that time. He disassembled it hoping to do a high point restoration - I think that it's still apart. I'll give him a call - I'm curious.

Wow, Steve. You've owned some incredible machines!

I remember way back in the 90's when the Dino was considered a poor man's Ferrari. Not anymore! This is not to be confused with "The Poor Man's Ferrari," the Fiat X1/9. :smile:

Wow, Steve. You've owned some incredible machines!

I remember way back in the 90's when the Dino was considered a poor man's Ferrari. Not anymore! This is not to be confused with "The Poor Man's Ferrari," the Fiat X1/9. :smile:

There was always the Fiat 'Dino' almost a Ferrari, which was a damned nice car albeit a "poor man's Ferrari". Available as a coupe as well.

Never did have one of these.

proxy.php

jaguar xke if you cant get a hold of that beautiful bmw 507!

Beautiful!

When I first arrived in Texas there was a car dealer by the name of Bob Guest who sold exotic cars. I would visit from time to time. During my first trip to his garage he was backing out a Jaguar XKSS that was magnificent in spite of the fact that the original engine had been replaced with a small block Chevy V8. The XKSS was one of the most significant Jags ever produced

proxy.php

Overview
Produced: 1957-1957, 16 produced.
Types: Sports, 2 doors

By 1957 Jaguar had constructed 68 D-Type racing cars as part of its international sportscar racing programme, following withdrawal from racing, 25 completed D-Types were left unsold. To make use of these unwanted cars Jaguar decided to convert them into road-going sportscars with some clever modifications.

The open, single seater bodies had the passenger compartment "uncovered", the rear fin was removed, bumpers added along with door side-screens and a rudimentary hood. These stunning cars were blessed with incredible performance and attracted 16 private buyers, including film star and motor racing fan Steve McQueen.

These fascinating cars are now priceless collectors items and are seldom available for sale.

Engines
Capacity Config Model Bore/Stroke CR
3442cc S6 DOHC Jaguar XK 83mm x 106mm
Performance
Top Speed 0-60 SQM MPG Engine Pwr
149mph 7.3s 250bhp @5750
Brakes
Front Rear
Disc Disc

Here's an image of the D-Type prior to being transformed into the XKSS

proxy.php

Had some 246 coupes as well, one of which I sold to a good friend about that time. He disassembled it hoping to do a high point restoration - I think that it's still apart.

That sort of thing happens too often. Someone in town told me of a friend of his with an Alfa Romeo Quattroruote Zagato, of which only 92 were produced, and only a handful are in the US. It's been in pieces in his barn for many years. (It's sort of a stylized reissue of a '30s Alfa 6c1750, with Giulia running gear, instigated by Quattroruote magazine in Italy that Alfa surprisingly went along with.)

proxy.php

boys, boys, boys. I'm ashamed of all of you. Five pages, from some of the classiest gentleman on the web, and not ONE mention of the Cougar Eliminator.

proxy.php

Shame, shame, shame.

kudos to the Boss, though.

boys, boys, boys. I'm ashamed of all of you. Five pages, from some of the classiest gentleman on the web, and not ONE mention of the Cougar Eliminator.

proxy.php

Shame, shame, shame.

kudos to the Boss, though.

Never heard of the Eliminator, but then I like to drive a car that does more than just go fast in a straight line.

You guys are going to have to stop this! It just keeps reminding me of how the years are flying by.

Morgans?

Had a few - 4/4, +4 4 place and this lovely:eek: F-type. It was an ugly, slow Morgan yet Morgan produced really lovely trikes well into the late 40's (actually 1952) - the J.A.P. and Matchless powered trikes like the example show below my ugly one.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Never heard of the Eliminator, but then I like to drive a car that does more than just go fast in a straight line.

Awesome! You should LOVE the eliminator's upgraded suspension, it got top marks for its time period and is often considered to be the best all-around muscle car ever made.

Rufus said:

Awesome! You should LOVE the eliminator's upgraded suspension, it got top marks for its time period and is often considered to be the best all-around muscle car ever made.

Yep, I gotta back up Shadow on this Rufus. The Boss 302 (I posted the pic) and Eliminator weren't the typical "Muscle Cars" of the day. The two models were basically street going race cars. They were both born and bred for the Trans-Am Race circuit. Ford had to build a certain number of these cars in "production" to qualify. There were only about 3000 Boss 302s ever made, if my memory is serving me correctly. (too lazy to Google)

Yep, I gotta back up Shadow on this Rufus. The Boss 302 (I posted the pic) and Eliminator weren't the typical "Muscle Cars" of the day. The two models were basically street going race cars. They were both born and bred for the Trans-Am Race circuit. Ford had to build a certain number of these cars in "production" to qualify. There were only about 3000 Boss 302s ever made, if my memory is serving me correctly. (too lazy to Google)

aaaaaaaaaand cue the music

duh nuh nuh nuh
nuh nuh
nuh nuh
Can't touch this!
Oscar time!

Let's see now "muscle car" and "handling": hmmm, doesn't compute for me, but does create a great deal of cognitive disonance.

Don't blame the hardware for the software's glitches. People put muscle cars through hellacious turns, and the cars'll do their duty. All you have to do is know how to drive one the way they were meant to be driven. If you drive a muscle car like a sport car, it won't handle, but if you use the power and traction to push you around the corner, rather than just turning the wheel and hoping it goes on its own, it'll do some pretty amazing things.

Ride with my dad through the twisties in upstate N.Y. in a 'stang sometime, then see if you still don't think they handle well. Scariest ride I ever had in my entire life.

Top Bottom