What's new

Phoenixkh: An Old Man's Continuum....

I didn't end up buying the Wolfman WR4, as I've mentioned
Good choice Kim. Your collection is already the summit of wet shaving and now you get to add a couple of vintage razors again that fit the summit bill too.
My first tub of Canada Shaving Soap is almost toast... This will be the first tub of soap I've 3017ed since I started wet shaving over two years ago now. It's sort of a nice feeling, oddly enough...
Funny right, but I kind of like it. I am now using Mike’s and by my calculations it I use it nonstop it will be done somewhere in August. And I have three more pucks of Mike’s next to the truckload of other soaps. Cleaning one out makes me feel less confronted by my SAD. :blushing:
I will probably try the complete Ti 0.68OC soon as well
I was planning on completing GRUYERE in one piece especially after being able to walk away from a vintage razor stand at the fair last Saturday…and then you drop messages like this…again :001_smile I might add. That should still in no time like they usually do with you Kim. GLWTS!

Cheers,

Guido

Funny right, but I kind of like it. I am now using Mike’s and by my calculations it I use it nonstop it will be done somewhere in August. And I have three more pucks of Mike’s next to the truckload of other soaps. Cleaning one out makes me feel less confronted by my SAD. :blushing:
One day I'll finish a soap, one day. I tend to rotate through all of mine which delays using one up. Maybe I need to pick the low-hanging fruit and 3017 the one that seems the least, likely a PAA one as they seem the softest and therefore should load more on the brush.

I guess I'm the odd one that actually goes through whole tubs of soap/cream(s).
I tend to stick to TOBS Mr. Taylor's & Arko so I actually use them all up regularly. But I just received a complimentary Saponificio Varesino bath soap in the Dolomiti scent which has to be the only scent that has made me consider anything else.
I'm sure I'll order some of the shave soap soon which is scary because it's expensive stuff.
Don't wanna go down that rabbit hole!:oops:
But man does it smell good!

One day I'll finish a soap, one day. I tend to rotate through all of mine which delays using one up. Maybe I need to pick the low-hanging fruit and 3017 the one that seems the least, likely a PAA one as they seem the softest and therefore should load more on the brush.
That’s how I started too - a different soap every day. Combined with my razor, brush and blade I drive myself nuts so I use blades until done now and choose one soap a month to calm my mind. I recently added using a soap until gone, which was actually out of “necessity” because @APBinNCA mentioned B&M potentially molding - so I decided to use that until gone. But going forward I am likely to pick two soaps so I can alternate. I have about 4.5 years worth of soap at the moment. I cannot vouch for soaps I will be gifted here and there obviously, but buying soaps is currently off my list.

And nothing wrong with buying soaps of course. We all have different preferences.

Cheers,

Guido

I'm sure I'm not the first to state this out loud, nor will most likely be the last. With all of our advanced technology we have, of our 5 senses, taste, smell and touch/feel are lacking any apparent "on the horizon" break through. Short of attending a shavers' convention, having access to friends near by with the same passion or simply having pockets deep enough to experiment with buying soaps: one is kind of left holding the rose as it were.

My hat's off to those of you who can read a scent profile and simply go for it. My honker is very sensitive and wihout smell before I buy, I stick with mostly scentless soaps.

On the flip, I've been contemplating blending a couple of my own essential oil profiles to see how these would work with a drop or two added to a bowl of lather. When/if I get to that point, I'll share the results.

Stink on gents!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I’ll never know the joy or horror of ARKO!

You could always shave your legs with ARKO! for peak ergometer performance. If it works, huzzah! If not, a few days of loose slacks and some salve.

I’ve read it lathers like a dream

If your reconstituted Canada Shaving Soap scrapings aren’t exploding into lather, you might be using hard water in the paste you form. If lathering from the jar is too grody, you might want to use bottled water or a pinch of citric acid. I might want to try a skosh of citric acid…

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
You could always shave your legs with ARKO! for peak ergometer performance. If it works, huzzah! If not, a few days of loose slacks and some salve.

If your reconstituted Canada Shaving Soap scrapings aren’t exploding into lather, you might be using hard water in the paste you form. If lathering from the jar is too grody, you might want to use bottled water or a pinch of citric acid. I might want to try a skosh of citric acid…
The Canada Shaving Soap does explode.... it's lovely.. and I put filtered water in a mister and use it for the water. I do have citric acid on hand, but I've never tried it for that... It does do a great job cleaning out electric skillets. It takes off that white film our water leaves behind after a month of use or so.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
I guess, technically, I will as well. When I do, however, it will be immediately replaced by the same soap.

I currently own 2 kilos each of Cella Red and Vitos Red + Coco, several Arko pucks, and 10-11 cubes of Albus Palmira. These, plus Arko sticks for travel, are the only soaps I use. If I was a shave-after-shower chap, it would likely be different.

I tend to rotate through all of mine which delays using one up.
That's what I do...which means I have soaps for quite some time which also means I can concentrate on other areas to satisfy my RADly inclinations.
1eQFqw.gif

"NO SOAP FOR YOU"!!!

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
I read of one brother going on 1,700+ shaves in his Vitos brick (and counting!) so 3017ing your 6 kilos is going to be a major accomplishment!!
I’m a chronic soap waster. I dump my brush back into my scuttle after each face lather so I can freshly load the brush for every pass. My math tells me I’ll get ~1100 shaves out of a kilo.

I’m all set for Gentlemanly Restraint Until Decade End.

Top Bottom