What's new

Phoenixkh: An Old Man's Continuum....

I had the Athena head on a Barberpole handle for a while but have since returned to the OEM one and it just works so much better.
And besides...it just looks so much better as a complete unit. Beautiful.

arnold-schwarzenegger-thats-better.gif

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I haven't said anything up to this point, but I completely agree with you Kim. I still don't own a Vector, one day, but I know its weight is near perfect for me; even though it's all stainless, it's designed as a whole for proper weight distribution. After more shaves than I have gotten around to posting with my Aylsworth(stainless) and its Yates(ti) handle, they are a perfect match(similar to your combination). I have forgotten now, but the Aylsworth head is a bit heavy like the Timeless and my Yates handle is a bit heavy for a ti; I am a bit surprised that your handle isn't a bit too light though. Your combination is getting very close to a Fatip which is nearly 50/50 weight distribution. Obviously, overall weight is not everything and how it's distributed throughout the handle can have a positive or negative impact. Come to think of it my Tatara is all stainless, but the head and handle weigh right about the same as the above mentioned combo; clearly I have had a similar preference for some time. On the flip side, my Ti Bird is as light of a razor as would ever want(too much really); like the Vector, it's really designed as a system that works best as designed. I have always wondered if a hollow Athena handle would be the best compromise between the design intent and reasonable weight distribution?
Aaron, I read and reread your post and I have to agree, unfortunately.. While I didn't care for the light weight of the whole titanium razor, using the heavy SS 0.68OC on the Ti Crown handle tilts the balance just a bit more towards the razor head than I like..... So, today, I ordered a polished Ti base plate and a polished Ti cap....

I shaved Thursday evening with the SS 0.68OC and the Crown handle... The shave was excellent, but as I said... the balance was just a bit off. I really should have looked on the Timeless website to see the weight comparisons... I'm going to do that right now.....

39 grams for the SS 0.68OC base plate
15.4 grams for the Ti 0.68OC base plate
14.1 grams for the SS Cap
7.3 grams for the Ti Cap

Full Ti razor head: 22.7 grams
Full SS razor head: 53.1 grams
Hybrid SS Cap with the Ti base plate: 29.5 grams
Hybrid Ti Cap with the SS base plate: 46.3 grams

Ti Crown handle 42.7 grams

We'll see if the SS base plate and Ti cap feel like the Goldilocks combination or if the Ti Cap with the SS base plate would be that perfect combination... It does look like I'm going to have some pieces left over. LOL

We'll see if the SS base plate and Ti cap feel like the Goldilocks combination or if the Ti Cap with the SS base plate would be that perfect combination... It does look like I'm going to have some pieces left over. LOL
I wouldn't normally mention this without checking first, but I believe it was Doug who didn't like the idea of screwing titanium into titanium and, at least, used a stainless cap. I am afraid that 7g is going to be too little to discern, but that 30/43g combo is very close to my my ideal. Then again, I am using an aftermarket handle that weighs the same as the Crown with my full titanium head so... YMMVAAT.

I honestly didn't realise that the full SS head was THAT heavy, wow! I would use a 65g handle that I have with that, at least a 55g one. Unfortunately, I know the Crown handle is the most important part for you so maybe you should see if Marley will make a similar one in a different weight? That could get really expensive if you end up buying three though!

Edit to add, I have mentioned before that I have one razor that has an 20/80 head/handle balance and it's not my cup of joe. It is rather interesting to use and I suspect the Vector is similar, but less crazy. You have to hold the handle near the middle to get any weight forward and the razor clearly isn't designed to be used that way, it's quite strange to me.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I wouldn't normally mention this without checking first, but I believe it was Doug who didn't like the idea of screwing titanium into titanium and, at least, used a stainless cap. I am afraid that 7g is going to be too little to discern, but that 30/43g combo is very close to my my ideal. Then again, I am using an aftermarket handle that weighs the same as the Crown with my full titanium head so... YMMVAAT.

I honestly didn't realise that the full SS head was THAT heavy, wow! I would use a 65g handle that I have with that, at least a 55g one. Unfortunately, I know the Crown handle is the most important part for you so maybe you should see if Marley will make a similar one in a different weight? That could get really expensive if you end up buying three though!

Edit to add, I have mentioned before that I have one razor that has an 20/80 head/handle balance and it's not my cup of joe. It is rather interesting to use and I suspect the Vector is similar, but less crazy. You have to hold the handle near the middle to get any weight forward and the razor clearly isn't designed to be used that way, it's quite strange to me.
I do use Park bike tools’ anti-seize compound on all my threads. Cheap insurance against galling.

I wouldn't normally mention this without checking first, but I believe it was Doug who didn't like the idea of screwing titanium into titanium and, at least, used a stainless cap.
I read this and remembered reading somewhere that titanium on titanium threads can eventually stick.
And then remembered where I read it:
Henson!
They made the titanium version with a stainless insert on the threads in order to avoid this from happening. But I don't know, I don't think I've read anyone here on B&B having that problem (I may be wrong!) And the full titanium razors I've had hadn't ever had problems. I'm guessing it's something that happens in the very long term and maybe it only happens if you don't disassemble the razor often?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I just weighed all my SS razor heads.... I'm a bit surprised.... The actual weight for the Timeless SS 0.68OC is 40.1g... not the whapping 53.1g based on the Timeless website. I wonder why it feels so head heavy to me.... Anyway, here are the actual numbers, weighed on a pretty accurate scale I use for weighing coffee beans.

ATT X1: 41g
La Faulx Classic: 31g
Blutt BR-1 1.20: 32.6g
Claymore Evolution: 33.8g
Rocnel Elite: 43.1g
Timeless SS 0.68OC: 40.1g

I'm trying to figure out why the Timeless feels so much heavier... or the balance point, I should say... it more towards the head. I am looking at all 5 of my Top SS razors at the moment. The thing that stands out is the height of the Timeless razor head. But I just held the Rocnel Elite and the Timeless 0.68OC on my fingers to determine the balance point... and as the numbers suggest, the Elite is slightly more head heavy... since it is 3 grams heavier.

I might have just wasted a considerable sum trying to get the weight of the Timeless down... I will try all the SS and Ti combinations and see where I end up. I think both the Ti cap and base plate will be at our place by Thursday... maybe Wednesday, depending on when UPS gets the cap to me... as I ordered it from Timeless after closing hours on Friday night...

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm off today... because I have a stubborn kidney stone stuck in my ureter. I'm sure it will pass and I won't have to run to the hospital... but at the moment, it's providing a decent pain level. As I've mentioned on too many occasions, I've passed dozens of kidney stones since my first one in 1991. There are lots of things I'm unable to create.. but I can make mass quantities of kidney stones. I would have preferred other talents, but alas, I'm stuck with this one. (double entendre intended) <eg>

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I'm off today... because I have a stubborn kidney stone stuck in my ureter. I'm sure it will pass and I won't have to run to the hospital... but at the moment, it's providing a decent pain level. As I've mentioned on too many occasions, I've passed dozens of kidney stones since my first one in 1991. There are lots of things I'm unable to create.. but I can make mass quantities of kidney stones. I would have preferred other talents, but alas, I'm stuck with this one. (double entendre intended) <eg>
Sorry to hear this, my friend. May this resolve soon.

Hope it passes soon Kim. I (up to this day) have never had that but of course know plenty people that do. And I know it can be very painful!
One of our nephews is 24 and has been producing them since he was 18. And every once in a while he gets a really bad one and it's a terrible thing to witness.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Hope it passes soon Kim. I (up to this day) have never had that but of course know plenty people that do. And I need it can be very painful!
Thx, Larry... They aren't pleasant, but I'm sort of used to the pain... I've had enough of them that the ureters are rotor rooter-ed out.... but this one much be a bit larger than normal.... I've only had one stuck bad enough so it had to be blasted, my first. It was the size of a nickel. I'm hoping this one is much, MUCH smaller. <eg>

I am somewhat relieved to hear that the Timeless head didn't end up weighing 53g, but am sorry that you spent extra money on more pieces (potentially) unnecessarily. The thing with balance is that it's dynamic, not stationary; you need to figure where your hand is and what kind of stroke you are making at some point when you are not trying to force things. I have a couple razors that I discovered, when I was journalling about which muscles I use, that I wasn't using the same way as the others nor how I thought I was. It's entirely possible that, even with the same handle, you are doing something slightly different and that is affecting your perception of balance. There you go, a free head ache to offset the pain you are going through! 😆

Edit to add: even with all the razor heads against your face with the blade just contacting, not at the same time hopefully, the angle of the handle can vary between them. This can affect how heavy the head feels in my experience. It may not even be at the beginning of the stroke actually, it might be the follow through... 🤔

Last edited:
Top Bottom