What's new

Phoenixkh: An Old Man's Continuum....

"You guys have slowly warped me".
Yes, we're all here for you...always.

5bba9cf8-86df-4590-ba85-ec9fda584ad2_text.gif

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
As I've mentioned in a couple other threads, I am now the owner of two Timeless SS razors: the 0.68OC and the 0.68SCL (scalloped base plate). Timeless shipped me a scalloped base plate instead of an open comb base plate. I had ordered a razor head from their scratch and dent section.... I emailed them and within minutes, Jeremiah emailed me back. I asked how they wanted me to return the scalloped base plate and he said... "Don't worry about sending it back. I'll get you out a replacement OC base plate immediately."

I felt a bit guilty about and told him so via email. I offered to pay half the price of the base plate. Then I had another idea... I offered to buy another scalloped cap so at least, Timeless would make some money on the problem. Jeremiah said that worked for him. I received it today, as Jeremiah shipped it out UPS instead of UPS Sure Post, you know, the one that has to have another transfer to a USPS site for delivery, which can take a few extra days.

I used them back to back... the scalloped base plate on Saturday and the OC razor tonight. How do they compare? I need a few more shaves with the scalloped base plate but at the moment, I would say they are obviously siblings, perhaps fraternal twins. The scalloped base plate leaves little trails of lather behind, which I enjoy... and the OC does the same thing, with perhaps just a tiny bit more lather remaining behind.

This whole thing started because I didn't care for the lighter weight of an entire titanium razor. This was exactly what I was hoping.. Once again, for me, with a titanium handle, SS razor heads shine. As always, YMMV, of course. I've been using handles in the ~40 gram point for a while now... both with my SS razor heads and some of my bronze razors. My name came up at Wolfman today and I ordered another hollow handle in basic bronze to rotate between a couple of my bronze and brass razor heads... @ 40 grams, I get the same feel with my bronze and brass razors as I do with SS and titanium handles.

There are two exceptions for me... I use the OEM handles on the Rocnel Elite brass and the Lambda Athena... I don't know why but both those handles seem to disappear when I start shaving. They feel heavy when I pick them up, initially, but in use, I don't notice the extra weight.

I haven't said anything up to this point, but I completely agree with you Kim. I still don't own a Vector, one day, but I know its weight is near perfect for me; even though it's all stainless, it's designed as a whole for proper weight distribution. After more shaves than I have gotten around to posting with my Aylsworth(stainless) and its Yates(ti) handle, they are a perfect match(similar to your combination). I have forgotten now, but the Aylsworth head is a bit heavy like the Timeless and my Yates handle is a bit heavy for a ti; I am a bit surprised that your handle isn't a bit too light though. Your combination is getting very close to a Fatip which is nearly 50/50 weight distribution. Obviously, overall weight is not everything and how it's distributed throughout the handle can have a positive or negative impact. Come to think of it my Tatara is all stainless, but the head and handle weigh right about the same as the above mentioned combo; clearly I have had a similar preference for some time. On the flip side, my Ti Bird is as light of a razor as would ever want(too much really); like the Vector, it's really designed as a system that works best as designed. I have always wondered if a hollow Athena handle would be the best compromise between the design intent and reasonable weight distribution?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I haven't said anything up to this point, but I completely agree with you Kim. I still don't own a Vector, one day, but I know its weight is near perfect for me; even though it's all stainless, it's designed as a whole for proper weight distribution. After more shaves than I have gotten around to posting with my Aylsworth(stainless) and its Yates(ti) handle, they are a perfect match(similar to your combination). I have forgotten now, but the Aylsworth head is a bit heavy like the Timeless and my Yates handle is a bit heavy for a ti; I am a bit surprised that your handle isn't a bit too light though. Your combination is getting very close to a Fatip which is nearly 50/50 weight distribution. Obviously, overall weight is not everything and how it's distributed throughout the handle can have a positive or negative impact. Come to think of it my Tatara is all stainless, but the head and handle weigh right about the same as the above mentioned combo; clearly I have had a similar preference for some time. On the flip side, my Ti Bird is as light of a razor as would ever want(too much really); like the Vector, it's really designed as a system that works best as designed. I have always wondered if a hollow Athena handle would be the best compromise between the design intent and reasonable weight distribution?
I did try my Athena with the hollow Wolfman handle I bought with the WR2 in basic polish bronze. It looks nice but the balance of the Athena with the OEM handle is quite nice and I returned to it immediately.

I did try my Athena with the hollow Wolfman handle I bought with the WR2 in basic polish bronze. It looks nice but the balance of the Athena with the OEM handle is quite nice and I returned to it immediately.
Interesting... I only mentioned it because I have read so many people say that the stock handle's main fault is its weight... and your preference is a handle that weighs literally half. I guess it does lend some credence to sticking with the designers intent(in some situations)?

I don't know why but both those handles seem to disappear when I start shaving. They feel heavy when I pick them up, initially, but in use, I don't notice the extra weight.
I feel exactly the same. I had the Athena head on a Barberpole handle for a while but have since returned to the OEM one and it just works so much better. And as you say it’s heavy when you pick it up, but during the shave that somehow miraculously dissipates.

Top Bottom