What's new

Phoenixkh: An Old Man's Continuum....

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
As I mentioned on Guido's Journal, I decided to use the Athena today... with a new to me blade: the Tweet Dura Sharp in the blue tucks.

I missed my Saturday shave this week... long story, a bit boring, but I sure made up for it today. The Athena has been sort of blade agnostic for me. The Tweet Dura Sharp did very well.... Better than a Perma-Sharp? I wouldn't say that. It might have been just a tad less sharp and/or less smooth. I'll need to use them a bit more to be sure. It wasn't exactly a fair trial as I had 4 days of old man, coarse whiskers, but both the Athena and the Dura Sharp made short work of them. The WTG pass was where I might have noticed a Perma-Sharp to be better. The next 3 passes were brilliant... so perhaps I was imagining something that wasn't truly there.

I used Canada Shaving soap for this test as it's a known quantity for me. I used a Rudy reknot ShaveMac Two-band silver tip in an Elite Razor Bloody Basin Jasper handle for my Cube 2.0 pre-shave. Bob's a vendor here. If you get a chance, take a look at his handles... He makes some unique and quite beautiful ones.

For my shave lather, I used the Copper Ore CaYuen bowl and the SV Rosewood handle, gold crown handle that joined my brush family a few days ago now. I know they are pricey.... but SV brushes, while not the very top of the badger brush market, are a real pleasure for me use.

With the swapping of the Timeless Ti 0.68OC w/ Ti Crown handle for the same exact razor but with a SS 0.68OC razor head, I think my razor buying days are coming to a close. I just took a look at My Shave Den and I have 15 razors listed on it. These are razors from whom I can expect 12 hour shaves, with only two exceptions... My beloved Claymore Evolution gives me 10 hour shaves and the ATT S2 DE slant is pretty close to that as well. That's enough razors to keep me happy with the variety and beauty until I exit the planet. I might make an exception for the Lambda Ares later this year, esp. if Theo gets his razor stands on the market. <eg>

The only disappointment for me at the moment is the ATT Windsor. I only have the SSRH and it just might be a bit too efficient for me. If Blackland re-releases that razor with all the plate options, I might end up with a SSMR. I think I do have its equivalent in an aluminum base plate. I need to try that.

I've rattled on long enough. I should censor myself a bit more but I don't seem capable of that.

As I mentioned on Guido's Journal, I decided to use the Athena today... with a new to me blade: the Tweet Dura Sharp in the blue tucks.

I missed my Saturday shave this week... long story, a bit boring, but I sure made up for it today. The Athena has been sort of blade agnostic for me. The Tweet Dura Sharp did very well.... Better than a Perma-Sharp? I wouldn't say that. It might have been just a tad less sharp and/or less smooth. I'll need to use them a bit more to be sure. It wasn't exactly a fair trial as I had 4 days of old man, coarse whiskers, but both the Athena and the Dura Sharp made short work of them. The WTG pass was where I might have noticed a Perma-Sharp to be better. The next 3 passes were brilliant... so perhaps I was imagining something that wasn't truly there.

I used Canada Shaving soap for this test as it's a known quantity for me. I used a Rudy reknot ShaveMac Two-band silver tip in an Elite Razor Bloody Basin Jasper handle for my Cube 2.0 pre-shave. Bob's a vendor here. If you get a chance, take a look at his handles... He makes some unique and quite beautiful ones.

For my shave lather, I used the Copper Ore CaYuen bowl and the SV Rosewood handle, gold crown handle that joined my brush family a few days ago now. I know they are pricey.... but SV brushes, while not the very top of the badger brush market, are a real pleasure for me use.

With the swapping of the Timeless Ti 0.68OC w/ Ti Crown handle for the same exact razor but with a SS 0.68OC razor head, I think my razor buying days are coming to a close. I just took a look at My Shave Den and I have 15 razors listed on it. These are razors from whom I can expect 12 hour shaves, with only two exceptions... My beloved Claymore Evolution gives me 10 hour shaves and the ATT S2 DE slant is pretty close to that as well. That's enough razors to keep me happy with the variety and beauty until I exit the planet. I might make an exception for the Lambda Ares later this year, esp. if Theo gets his razor stands on the market. <eg>

The only disappointment for me at the moment is the ATT Windsor. I only have the SSRH and it just might be a bit too efficient for me. If Blackland re-releases that razor with all the plate options, I might end up with a SSMR. I think I do have its equivalent in an aluminum base plate. I need to try that.

I've rattled on long enough. I should censor myself a bit more but I don't seem capable of that.
We like to hear from you, Kim. No need for self-censure.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
On a sad note: Photography on the net (POTN) closed. The owner, Pekka, announced it a while ago, but it closed down last year in October. Shaving has been my main hobby since February of 2022, as most of you know......I had no idea as I've been spending almost all my online time here.

It reminded me why we should take the opportunity to become a contributor here. POTN had been one of the most active photography forums around. I learned digital photography there. I was a member there since 2010. I would hate to see a similar fate here. Perhaps, it would be best if we didn't take B&B for granted....

Just an old man's musings...

On a sad note: Photography on the net (POTN) closed. The owner, Pekka, announced it a while ago, but it closed down last year in October. Shaving has been my main hobby since February of 2022, as most of you know......I had no idea as I've been spending almost all my online time here.

It reminded me why we should take the opportunity to become a contributor here. POTN had been one of the most active photography forums around. I learned digital photography there. I was a member there since 2010. I would hate to see a similar fate here. Perhaps, it would be best if we didn't take B&B for granted....

Just an old man's musings...
Excellent point.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I did get my Timeless Ti matte 0.68OC with Crown handle and stand up on BST earlier today. I miss the days when BST came up under "What's New-New posts"... but alas, those days are long gone. If it doesn't sell in a few days, I guess I'll post it on eBay.

I am looking forward to getting home later today... and retrieving my package from @Balin / Andrew. He sent me a Pre-War Canada Tech. I'll compare it to the one I bought from the Dutch seller on Etsy to see how much damage was done to that razor when they polished it to remove the nickel plating. I still haven't contacted him to have a little discussion about the "fine Vintage condition" in the description.

My replacement SS Timeless 0.68OC head along with yet another Ti Crown handle and stand is also in the parcel locker so that will be fun to open as well. It will be interesting to note how that extra weight with the Ti handle changes how it shaves. It will bring my Ti Crown handle count up to 8... and I really prefer odd numbers. <eg>

Last edited:
My replacement SS Timeless 0.68OC head along with yet another Ti Crown handle and stand is also in the parcel locker so that will be fun to open as well.
Funny Kim, I've got a .68 OC SS Timeless sitting in the mailbox at home today, LOL!!
I stupidly got rid of mine to fund other purchases a few months ago and realized it was a mistake.
So I ordered it again in the polished finish but with the 100mm barber pole handle.
I'll post some pics tonight!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Funny Kim, I've got a .68 OC SS Timeless sitting in the mailbox at home today, LOL!!
I stupidly got rid of mine to fund other purchases a few months ago and realized it was a mistake.
So I ordered it again in the polished finish but with the 100mm barber pole handle.
I'll post some pics tonight!
Awesome.... I got a polished version this time around as well.

Awesome.... I got a polished version this time around as well.
Just got it!
Here it is:

full

Top Bottom