What's new

Phoenixkh: An Old Man's Continuum....

I bought all my other SV brushes from Spain as well... or Portugal... They were never stopped by Customs. It might just be the wording on the packaging. Same with the boar brushes I've had shipped from the EU.
I’ve used YourShaving in the past hand had no issue. But it was last year that I used them. They are located in Spain. Very quick shipping. In fact I got the order faster than a PAA order showed up.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
It must be the week for it... I have a folding Feather DX barber razor on the way and just got a call from FedEx... It is also being held up in US customs because of the wood handle.... I had to certify it wasn't an exotic wood. Strange days in which we are living. They also asked about the Kai Titan Mild "Pink" non-guarded blades and needed clarification on those as well.

It must be the week for it... I have a folding Feather DX barber razor on the way and just got a call from FedEx... It is also being held up in US customs because of the wood handle.... I had to certify it wasn't an exotic wood. Strange days in which we are living. They also asked about the Kai Titan Mild "Pink" non-guarded blades and needed clarification on those as well.
Just think what customs would have said if tried to bring home the ole wooden teeter from Bali. Haha.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
This gets me thinking about how much times have changed, both prior to 9/11 and after 9/11. I'm sure many of you have seen the movie Crocadile Dundee, famous for the movie line... "Thats not a knife, this is a knife."

Crocodile Dundee Comedy GIF by Laff

Well, in the sequel movie they made, it was Dundee goes to New York, and here he is pulling out his 12" survival bush knife, to show up a thug and his itty bitty pocket knife.

Well, if we want to bring things to reality for a moment, as funny as that scene was, in reality, Dundee would be arrested at an officers earliest convenience. This is because he's breaking the law on maximum allowed length of knife to legally carry without a permit, and you know, he just got off the boat to America, he got no weapon permit lol.

In this day in age, unfortunately, security has been so tightened up in this country, that lots of questions are now being asked, that wasn't previously asked before in customs. Infact, Chinese students with legal USA visa's, were turned away by our government, forced to buy a ticket to fly back home. These students just wanted to finish their flight training at Harvard I guess it was. Now they realize they have to go to Europe to finish their training, cause they sure as heck aint going to get it here.

Its getting to the point now, where you are just better off ordering within the US only, no more importing. The last time I tried to order an Omega brush from Italy, it never made it here, it got as far as Canada, and then had to get sent back, cause they couldn't even put the address on right!

If there is no US dealer to order your foreign country coveted item, you don't need it!

This gets me thinking about how much times have changed, both prior to 9/11 and after 9/11. I'm sure many of you have seen the movie Crocadile Dundee, famous for the movie line... "Thats not a knife, this is a knife."

Well, in the sequel movie they made, it was Dundee goes to New York, and here he is pulling out his 12" survival bush knife, to show up a thug and his itty bitty pocket knife.

Well, if we want to bring things to reality for a moment, as funny as that scene was, in reality, Dundee would be arrested at an officers earliest convenience. This is because he's breaking the law on maximum allowed length of knife to legally carry without a permit, and you know, he just got off the boat to America, he got no weapon permit lol.

In this day in age, unfortunately, security has been so tightened up in this country, that lots of questions are now being asked, that wasn't previously asked before in customs. Infact, Chinese students with legal USA visa's, were turned away by our government, forced to buy a ticket to fly back home. These students just wanted to finish their flight training at Harvard I guess it was. Now they realize they have to go to Europe to finish their training, cause they sure as heck aint going to get it here.

Its getting to the point now, where you are just better off ordering within the US only, no more importing. The last time I tried to order an Omega brush from Italy, it never made it here, it got as far as Canada, and then had to get sent back, cause they couldn't even put the address on right!

If there is no US dealer to order your foreign country coveted item, you don't need it!
Dundee: The weapons charge won't be nothing compared to the brandishing and assault charges... Also, I'm not aware of a "carry permit" for fixed blades in either NY State or NYC. Subject to the significant Hochul law restrictions, you can get a conceived carry permit for a pistol.

That said, I really do need that Galápagos Iguana tooth friendship bracelet.

Again, I had zero issue with Yourshaving, give them a try.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
YourShaving is where I got my Zenith Manchurian brush, she's a beauty don't ya think? She's the leader of my brush army.

proxy.php
Chris, if someone asks me for a great place to start for their first badger brush, I always point them to a Zenith Manchurian. A great brush with a wonderful face feel, at least for me. They aren’t as soft as the 3 Band Silvertips but I like the gentle scrub they provide. As always, it’s subjective and personal so YMMV.

YourShaving is where I got my Zenith Manchurian brush, she's a beauty don't ya think? She's the leader of my brush army.

proxy.php
Looks fantastic, Yourshaving prices were so low that I stocked up on Boars during DecemBOAR. I am glad I stumbled upon them. Boris pointed me towards Pure Pens in the UK for fountain pen ink. They ship very quickly also considering them being in the UK. It took longer for the package I sent to Canada to arrive than it did for Pure Pens order to arrive.

Last edited:

I am reminded of a time when I was booked on Iceland Air to fly back to NYC from Europe. Unfortunately for me and lots of others, it was during the 1986 Reykjavik Summit between Reagan and Gorbachev. Iceland became a no-fly zone, which disrupted air traffic. (I was bumped to a KLM flight.) I had bought a Balisong in Amsterdam for some reason and had packed it in my checked luggage without a thought to customs. Fortunately for me, the Customs folks were so overwhelmed by frustrated flyers that they just waved us all through without a second thought. I don’t think I would be so lucky in today’s environment.

I am waiting on a shipment from Sweden that is currently held up in Philly...I would prefer not to pay the applicable excise taxes although I believe the federal one is fairly reasonable.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
FedEx did get my two packages to clear customs.... after 2 phone calls per. The agents escalated each order and passed it on to another team so they could expedite things...And they did...

I shaved with my 2022 SS Elite last night. As I expected, the brass Elite and the SS Elite are close to each other in their performance. As the above Rocnel site photos show, the 2022 Elite has a more rounded cap instead of a set angle, if you will.... and the whole razor has gentle curves to it, as well as a scalloped safety bar. Did those make a difference? For me, they did.... The SS Elite is just a tad smoother, a bit more efficient, but we're talking minute differences.... I love the look of the brass Elite and also loved the way it shaved.... As has been said by so many others.... at that price, it's a steal... if one shows up on BST, snap it up, if the price is right.

I'll have to get another shave in with the Goodfellas' Smile brass Bayonetta to confirm this, but I'm pretty confident, it's less efficient that either of them, but it's no slouch either.

I just took a look at my Top Razor list.. and I think the 2022 Elite and the Wolman WR2 0.95 are my most efficient razors. They are both in that lower end of medium... neither would be called aggressive nor would either work for those who need the most efficient razors, but they work well for me.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
For my second experiment after returning home from Bali was a continuation of the trials and tribulations of the RR SuperSlant. @Amorphous Metal and @Old Hippie , and a few others, suggested I try using a Kai blade in my L1++OC to bump the efficiency up just a tad. With a Perma-Sharp blade, I had nice feeling shaves but they only lasted 8 hours instead of the goal for all my Top Razors, i.e., a 12 hour shave.

I just finished shaving a few minutes ago and I have to say.... the Kai made a difference. The L1OC might end up being everything I had hoped the SuperSlant would be for me. This is the 3rd base plate I've purchased for it. One shave does not a Top Razor make... but it was the best shave I've had with the SuperSlant so far. Based on my how my face feels... and the absence of any whiskers I can feel, I think I might have won the SuperSlant lottery.

Supporting Cast.

Brushes: Mozingo 28mm Fan in a Rudy Vey Persian Cobalt handle; Elite Bloody Basin Jasper handle reknotted by Rudy with a 28mm ShaveMac Two-band Silvertip

Pre-Shave: PAA Cube 2.0; in the shower and applied again with the Bloody Basin Jasper brush.

Soap: Baume.be cream; bowl lathered.

Bowl: CaYuen Cooper Ore Large

Supporting razor: ESC Claymore Evolution around my nose.

Post-shave products: Metro Gel; Hyaluronic Acid; Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel/Cream

A lovely OMS shave (Old Man Smooth). I'll know mid morning if it lasted for 12 hours.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
What happened with the Tech, Kim? Would you post pictures so we can see what you got? I got a couple of beater Techs that I've been polishing up for fun, I haven't shaved with them yet though.
The Tech is up next after I get in a couple more SuperSlant shaves. I feel compelled to figure out if it's going to hang around. I think it might.

Top Bottom