What's new

Platinum Preppy or Noodler's Piston Fill

I have $4 Platinum Preppies in 0.3 and 0.5 nibs, as well as a $14 Noodler's Small Piston pen.

I think the Piston has a slightly smoother nib. It puts down a very fine, but wet line - closer in width to the 0.3 than the 0.5, but it's quite wet. I have lefty-smeary issues with the Piston much more than either Preppy.

Nathan Tardif's video says his nib is interchangeable with very many vintage nibs.

The Preppy nib is (I believe) interchangeable with their felt tips (round and wide chisel for highlighting) and rollerball tips, which are available inexpensively at Goulet and I'm sure other vendors. There are two common fountain pen nib sizes I know of, but I haven't seen where you can buy just the nibs.

I use the Preppies in eyedropper mode, which is easier for me to clean and re-ink without making a mess than the piston, but others say just the opposite.

One annoyance with using Goulet sample inks with the piston is that you can't really submerge the nib and feed all the way into the ink sample and so is hard to get a full reservoir of ink in the pen.

Finally, the Piston is indeed a small pen. My wife likes the thin body, but I like the fatness of the Platinum much better. That's just preference, but I won't buy another pen the size of the Small Piston for myself.

Roger

I use the Preppies in eyedropper mode, which is easier for me to clean and re-ink without making a mess than the piston, but others say just the opposite.

How does one clean an eyedropper? just put a bunch of water in and shake - rinse, repeat?

I can see if you plan to dedicate one ink to it exclusively - just curious as to whether it works for switching inks.

How does one clean an eyedropper? just put a bunch of water in and shake - rinse, repeat?

I can see if you plan to dedicate one ink to it exclusively - just curious as to whether it works for switching inks.

I've been switching inks daily. There are only 4 parts (the cap counting as one of them). I unscrew it and pull the nib/feed straight out under a running sink and rinse. I've been trying ink samples, which I just pour directly into the pen body. No fuss, no muss.

It's also easy to pour leftover ink straight from the pen body back into the sample vial. No problems.

I have had both, and i prefer the Noodler's (and I have big hands, it isn't uncomfortable at all).

I also have a Plaisir (same nib and grip as the Preppy) and it's fine...a drier line than the Noodler's, but fine enough.

Top Bottom