What's new

Pizza

I do have to quote my favorite opening line from a review of Frank Pepe's, though: "If God is Italian, as is widely rumored, this is where He eats lunch."

“Only God Makes Better Pizza” - Zagat (re Totonno's of Brooklyn and the Upper East Side - man I miss living one block away).

-Mo

“Only God Makes Better Pizza” - Zagat (re Totonno's of Brooklyn and the Upper East Side - man I miss living one block away).

-Mo

Hey, Mo..how would you rate Grimaldi's under Brooklyn Bridge comparing to Totonno's?

I've been to Grimaldi's a lot of times, I could eat the whole pie it's so good and light, but I hear a lot of people preffer Totonno's..Never been there yet, even though I pass it almost everyday. :blush: .

Is it really that better just because it's made by the owner?

Hey, Mo..how would you rate Grimaldi's under Brooklyn Bridge comparing to Totonno's?

Grimaldi's is pretty fantastic. It's hard to say, but I would just give the edge to Totonno's. They are similar. Both are much better than Patsy's, although Patsy's is pretty good. (Incidentally, I love Grimaldi's little explanation of how they are real successor to the heritage of Patsy Grimaldi). Actually, my personal favorite, just edging Totonno's is the much less well known Angelos, on 55th and 2nd. But it maybe be a little heavy on the cheese and herbs for a purist.

I will say, I love all kinds of pizza toppings, but on New York pizza, I only want plain cheese. Everything else just gets in the way.

-Mo

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd

I've been to Grimaldi's a lot of times, I could eat the whole pie it's so good and light, but I hear a lot of people preffer Totonno's..Never been there yet, even though I pass it almost everyday. :blush: .

Is it really that better just because it's made by the owner?

Grimaldi's is very good, but Totonno's is better. The owner is some piece of work- he's been known to stop working mid order, and calling it a day.

Grimaldi's is very good, but Totonno's is better. The owner is some piece of work- he's been known to stop working mid order, and calling it a day.

Yeah, I heard about that...:lol: Something to do with not liking the way people place order or they may even ran out of dough by 2pm.

There is also De Faro's pizza on Ave J & E16st. The owner hangs oregano on windows and uses 3-4 different types of cheese(de buffalo, mozz, Pecorino, and sprinkle of Parmigiano Reggiano after he takes it out of oven). But I'm surprised the DOH haven't close that place down yet for 40+years, as owner have gunks of yesterday's dough hanging from his wrists, dirty nails, and dandruff problem. Plus charging an arm and a leg for a smallest slice of pizza in NYC should be considered a crime.

I should know better than get involved in a pizza thread, as I come from a long line of pizza snobs. My great-grandmother Trofimena was making apizza after arriving in New Haven from southern Italy over ninety years ago, and sent my grandfather out in the streets to sell them. To me, it's not about what to add, but what to leave off. Simplicity is key. My favorite, bar none, is what's referred to in New Haven as a plain apizza--just tomato and grated parmesan on a thin crust, no mozz. Done right (meaning at Pepe's or Sally's preferably) it's heaven and causes me unimaginable joy. There's also much to be said for the classic Pizza Margherita (I hope one day to make a pilgrimage to the pizzeria in Naples where Raffaele Esposito invented it).

I totally agree. Simple is beautiful.
As a side note, looks like there are even better pizzerias in Naples than Esposito! I ate the greatest pizza in my life at Sorbillo's , the original place (there are many Sorbillos, appears they were some 23 brothers... all involved in the family business, but... ), the only problem is to wait to obtain your table.

ouch

Yeah, I heard about that...:lol: Something to do with not liking the way people place order or they may even ran out of dough by 2pm.

There is also De Faro's pizza on Ave J & E16st. The owner hangs oregano on windows and uses 3-4 different types of cheese(de buffalo, mozz, Pecorino, and sprinkle of Parmigiano Reggiano after he takes it out of oven). But I'm surprised the DOH haven't close that place down yet for 40+years, as owner have gunks of yesterday's dough hanging from his wrists, dirty nails, and dandruff problem. Plus charging an arm and a leg for a smallest slice of pizza in NYC should be considered a crime.

Yep, De Faro's is a grimey hole in the wall, but the pizza is good by any standards.

The guy at Totonno's is an Italian version of the soup nazi. :lol:

ouch

Only slightly off topic, but the best calzone I've had is from House of Pizza and Calzone on Union St, B'klyn.

They make their calzones the correct way- deep fried. :thumbup:

Only slightly off topic, but the best calzone I've had is from House of Pizza and Calzone on Union St, B'klyn.

Only slightly, eh? I wanted ideas for what to put on a pizza at the start of this thread.... :tongue:

I know we have pizza enthusiasts on this site and I like to try new things, so I'd like to get some new ideas for toppings. I also know there are some pizza threads but I couldn't find anything like what I'm after, just a list of toppings people like to put together. Heck, I figure we can all collaborate and turn this into sort of a makeshift recipe collection. Feel free to add what you like to put on your pizzas or comment on anything I've posted. I'll get the ball rolling...

My most recent creation was served at my birthday party a few days ago; just a quick warning, I don't use tomato sauce as a base for anything. I ended up serving a thin crust 50% whole wheat pizza with butterflied prawns, sun dried tomatoes and crumbled goat cheese served on a base of fresh basil pesto. The prawns were cooked before being put on the pizza, but this step probably could have been skipped. I also found that the sun dried tomatoes tend to add a fair amount of acidity and should be used sparingly, especially with the sourness of the goat cheese. The pesto was pretty oily so I never added any kind of cheese on top for fear of deep-frying the pizza in the oven. The lack of cheese on top does make the toppings move around a bit, but the flavor makes it worth it.

And in the words of Takeshi Kaga... Allez Cuisine! :biggrin:

Can I have one of these air mailed, you know, in one of those hot wrap delivery bags?

Yeah, not too many places do that anymore. But in general I tnink calzones are on their way out in NY and don't get me started on anchovies (that's history). It seems beef patties are new black.

Only slightly, eh? I wanted ideas for what to put on a pizza at the start of this thread.... :tongue:

Yeah, sorry 'bout that.....

In my defense, I did make one post on that topic....

(Although, since it mentioned a pizza restaurant, I am probably largely guilty for starting the thread drift in that direction)

-Mo

I do a triple rise dough, similar to baguette. Once I have the shape I want the pizza to be, I will cut the edge, 45 degrees, 2 inch long by 1/2 cuts on a diagonal (ala apple pie) and fill the edge with sauteed onions. Fold the cuts over, cover dough with tomato sauce (easily homemade). Layer with jalepeno stuffed green olives, artichoke hearts, bleu cheese and bits of pineapple. 550 degrees F on a stone for 5-7 minutes... heaven. :drool:

I'm not too worried about thread drift, I've already planned my next few pizzas in fact, it's just that Ouch's "slightly off topic" gave me a bit of a chuckle.

ouch

Yeah, sorry 'bout that.....

In my defense, I did make one post on that topic....

(Although, since it mentioned a pizza restaurant, I am probably largely guilty for starting the thread drift in that direction)

-Mo

While we're on the subject of thread drift, good luck with the Charger game.

It's only natural that you're a Charger fan, since you've spent more time in San Diego than Hillary has in New York. :lol:

I grabbed my camera to take a pic of tonights pies (does anyone outside the east coast call them pies?) and the stupid memory card was empty. By the time I found a new one the hounds had decimated the pizza. Such is life. :mad3:

Tonight was simplicity itself - one plain and one with thick-cut pepperoni. Crust was a 63% hydration dough made with King Arthur high-gluten flour. In a blind taste test I guarantee you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between it and a quality NY street slice. It is the only way I can get good pizza around these parts.

Top Bottom