What's new

Pizza

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Oooooh, dem's fightin' words! :biggrin: (I'll try to avoid reopening--yet again--the great Connecticut v. NYC (or anywhere else) pizza debate.)

Ahem. In order to reopen it, one would have to concede that such a debate exists. :lol:

My poor wife grew up on Pizza Hut, and my father-in-law still swears by it. Just thinking about it makes me no longer hungry.

Myself, I prefer plain. If it's going to have a topping, then it's either anchovies or sprinkle some red pepper from the shaker. I just can't get into all the funky toppings like sun dried tomatoes and goat cheese. Good stuff, but not my preference on a pie.

My favorite: fresh spinach sauteed with copious amounts of garlic slices, fresh tomatoes, mozz, and grana padano cheese.

ouch

My favorite: fresh spinach sauteed with copious amounts of garlic slices, fresh tomatoes, mozz, and grana padano cheese.

I do the same thing with broccoli rabe instead of spinach on occasion, sausage optional.

So, um, where does New Jersey fit in the whole NYC v. Connecticut non-debate, then? Hmmm?

Fact: Frank Sinatra was from New Jersey.

Fact: Frank Sinatra regularly sent a driver up to New Haven to pick up pizza.

Ergo, New Jersey thinks New Haven has the best pizza. :biggrin:

Re: the pizza wars, I wish I could find the article where a born-and-bred Manhattanite came up to New Haven to see which pizza was better and sheepishly admitted it was New Haven. He stated, though, that it had more to do with NY pizza having declined in quality over the past several years or more. (I found it interesting when I saw a place in Manhattan advertising New Haven-style pizza.)

Do a Google search on best pizza, though, and you'll see that many, many electrons have given their lives in a fruitless effort to convince others which pizza is best. It's an argument that just can't be won (even though I'm right). I do have to quote my favorite opening line from a review of Frank Pepe's, though: "If God is Italian, as is widely rumored, this is where He eats lunch."

Back to toppings, I have to say a white clam pizza (only from Pepe's, even Sally's can't even come close) is great. And as long as it's not too stalky, broccoli rabe is a good topping, in moderation; it's bitter enough that for me, a little goes a long way. (It's also good sauteéd with olive oil and garlic and mixed into macaroni.)

Finally, and strangely, some of the very best apizza I've ever had came from The Big Green Pizza Truck. It's an antique International truck from the '40s with a brick pizza oven built into the side of it. My parents have hired it and my cousin has hired it for a couple of occasions and I can honestly say it rivals (and maybe even betters) anything from Wooster Street (New Haven), and that's high praise indeed coming from me. Toppings? They'll make pretty much anything you want, especially if you warn them ahead of time with your more esoteric requests.

ouch

I have to say a white clam pizza (only from Pepe's, even Sally's can't even come close) is great. And as long as it's not too stalky, broccoli rabe is a good topping, in moderation; it's bitter enough that for me, a little goes a long way. (It's also good sauteéd with olive oil and garlic and mixed into macaroni.)

The white clam from Pepe's is legendary, and as for the broccoli rabe, we're on the same page.

I can't recall a thread that made me hungrier than this one.

I'm putting together a grocery list as I type this. :biggrin:

I know you said you don't use tomato sauce . . . as well you shouldn't. Sauce will, maybe not always, but often make a rather pasty-topped pizza. Crushed tomatoes should be used. And never, never, never skimp on the quality of the tomatoes, or the crust.

ouch

I'm putting together a grocery list as I type this. :biggrin:

You might want to add the indredients to an old Ouch family classic- pizza alla puttanesca*.

Sauteed tomatoes in garlic and oil, with olives, capers, and anchovies.

*Etymology on request

You might want to add the indredients to an old Ouch family classic- pizza alla puttanesca*.

Sauteed tomatoes in garlic and oil, with olives, capers, and anchovies.

*Etymology on request

:lol: I looked the term up myself... "Pizza in the way a whore would make it". You're a dirty boy, Ouch. :tongue:

Sounds like a great pizza, though.

ouch

:lol: I looked the term up myself... "Pizza in the way a whore would make it". You're a dirty boy, Ouch. :tongue:

Sounds like a great pizza, though.

Since you spilled the garbanzos, so to speak, I'll complete the story.

A group of working class girls known as "kind hearted women" were usually pressed for time during their lunch break, and had to prepare a speedy meal. The point of a putanesca sauce is to complete the sauce by the time the pasta is cooked. :thumbup1:

I work in a Pizza joint, in Chicago...Ok the burbs. Nuff said.

PM me if you are going to be in the Oakbrook area during the day, I'm not too far.

This thread is making me hungry also. Luckily tonight is pizza night. My dough has been fermenting happily in the fridge since last weekend. For those NY style aficionados, go out of your way to find some high-gluten flour. There is nothing worse than crust made from AP flour, or even bread flour, IMO. It shouldn't be like bread at all if you do it right.

I pretty much normally eat your standard Papa John's pizza - my favorite topping, linguica, is not normally available at most places, so I usually go really simple with what both the wife and I will agree upon - either barbecue pizza or pepperoni.
However, occasionally we go to the California Pizza Kitchen, and I absolutely love their Greek pizza. MMMM! Maybe that's where I'll take the wife tonight!

By the way, this one goes out to you, rabidpotatochip - "religion"

Since you spilled the garbanzos, so to speak, I'll complete the story.

A group of working class girls known as "kind hearted women" were usually pressed for time during their lunch break, and had to prepare a speedy meal. The point of a putanesca sauce is to complete the sauce by the time the pasta is cooked. :thumbup1:

I'd heard they cooked it so the wonderful smells would lure in men.

Top Bottom